Best and worst of FM 2008

Now that FM 2009 is almost upon us what would you say have been the best and worst things about FM 2008 post patch 8.0.2?

For me the best thing is the facegen, it's great to see actual faces on regens and see how they change over time, it's a simple thing and doesn't add anything to the game tactically but makes it much more realistic for me.

The worst thing for me has to be the press asking about pens and red cards etc and not being able to give an accurate answer due to the 2d constraints and thus not ever answering them for fear of getting touchline bans.

The worst thing for me would be the Confidence part - It's never really worked, even after patching.

That or the lifeless transfer system.

Best bit? That's a tough one, there's so much about it that I like it would be hard to pick out the best - everything in the game has been evolved with each new release and have got consistently better, only the new features come under the "Worst" bits, as they are new and have yet to evolve.

FM 2008 was my first game since CM01-02. Let me say, I was thoroughly addicted to CM like none other game I've ever played in my life. FM, though, I played for two months and never felt compelled to play any longer. The worst bits for me, personally were Board Confidence and the whole 2-3-5 formation they throw at you at the end. It's been collecting dust for awhile. I really don't think I'll get the next incarnation either. I just don't have the time to spend on trying to crack that stupid tactic, and it got me frustrated and angry.

Fred, 4-2-4 is easy to "crack". Just get your full backs set to the same settings as the centre backs, and maybe play a DM. See the tactics forum for more advice.

Worst part? The ME representation, not as smooth as 07's, and strange things happen a lot more often.

Best? Coach reports. In the end, that was what persuaded me to buy the game.

Best bit is still gotta be the fact i can send my upcoming stars off to other clubs to get them experiance and not have them hanging about waiting for a club to come in for them on loan.

Stay say i miss the fact u could complain about a refs performance and then possibly see that ref get a ban like in the older games and IRL

Worst part for me id say is the regens or newgens. not enough quality spread out over a long period of time on long term games and there stats are randon in key areas..

Not enough tactical training and beeing able to really infulence the way your team play, it's either set it up how the match engine requires you to or fail.. this inculed not enough set piece varients or training.

Best thing about it is its cheap to buy and still better than any other game on the market.

The best thing has to be feeder clubs. Just love going out and getting my "wee team" into the same league as me. Only problem is now none of my players will go to my "wee team"]

The worst. Being asked by the press countless times how i will deal with meeting such and such again. FFS i sold the boy 4 seasons ago and you got an answer then,

The best thing was the coach reports- I hated it on previous games when i had a good youngster in my academy and could not know wether his potential was to be great or average

The match engine- I must have had a goal disallowed at least twice a match!!! I also dont like the regens, they slow down your computer. I agree with Golaxi, regens on FM 07 were well better.

worst

price of player upped on negotiation

contract waiting for new one from board

players who you loan dont play for loan club so you cant get them a work permit/sell them/get them to better players

best

the halftime individual pep talk

The worst thing ever, ever on FM 2008 was the confidence feature, innovative but executed terribly, bugged to **** as well.

Best thing was probably the facegen, I grew to it and I think it made the game even more in-depth in a way.

WORST : Transfer system. Reputation being valued higher than the money you offer, even when you offer ridiculous amounts.

The match predictions being based on club reputation instead of quality of players. Even if you have a squad of 150+ players and meet a team of 100- players, the match can still be judged as being close.

Too easy to quickly build up good facilities and staff.

Player condition. It's too easy to bring them to 100%. Getting a player in perfect condition (and maintaining it) should be a much more lenghty and difficult process. It shouldn't be unusual to have to field a team of players with 80 or 90 in condition all the time. You should be able to tell your coaches that you want them to train the players so that they peak at a certain point during the season. Now, even if a player hasn't played a match in eight months, all you have to do is play him for 2 or 3 matches and it's as if he never broke that leg at all...

When 80% percent of your players are unhappy because they want to leave for bigger clubs due to your club's reputation not going up even when you win everything in sight.

BEST : Everything else. It's just a great game. I gave up crack because I got better rushes out of winning CL matches in FM. Just kidding of course. I would never give up crack.

Archived