Is 1 tactic enough to be great?

yes, i have. but if you have loads of different tactics for shutting up shop, all out attack, etc i reckon you'd get better results and have a better track record. as long as your "attacking" tactic has balance and isn't too attacking, you should be fine :)

Yes, but i find it's not at satisfying.

In my current game, I've got one tactic, a downloaded one, which beats basically everyone. However, I seem to score more goals through my midfield than my strikers. This isn't very realistic, so I have another tactic, my own one this time, where my strikers score lots of goals.

Yes it is.

Its funny that there are so many people out there who try and over complicate the tactics and formations and try to make out there is an art to it.

I used a basic 4-4-2 formation with default individual tactics for the players, with the sliders dead in the middle for everything.

With my West Ham team I had an unbeaten season and won champions league within 4 years.

I never even paid attention to training or my coaches. Everything was just left default and all I did was buy new players.

That save made me realise just how easy the game is. Too many people try too hard when all it requires is basic adjustments.

Yes it is.

Its funny that there are so many people out there who try and over complicate the tactics and formations and try to make out there is an art to it.

I used a basic 4-4-2 formation with default individual tactics for the players, with the sliders dead in the middle for everything.

With my West Ham team I had an unbeaten season and won champions league within 4 years.

I never even paid attention to training or my coaches. Everything was just left default and all I did was buy new players.

That save made me realise just how easy the game is. Too many people try too hard when all it requires is basic adjustments.

so all you did was change your team instructions and left all player instructions as standerd.?

so all you did was change your team instructions and left all player instructions as standerd.?

yeh! I just had basic team instructions, not even any set peice takers chosen or anything. And when I was younger and new to the game I never used to do anything on the tactics and would still come out winning everything with most of the teams I played with.

The transfer market is THE key to FM. That is the truth. The best players tend to win most games as long as you don't do anything too stupid with them. Same goes in IRL, really.

I find the total opposite. The unpleasant cocktail of morale, form, tactics and teamtalks totally dominates my games. The transfer market is a pebble on a beach. Anyone can buy the right players, but they certainly don't always win games. I have endless amounts of skill at making a pig's ear out of a team of seemingly good players!

may be giving every player there own instructions conflicts with the setting's thus making your team play badly.. i never thought the game was so easy.. if i had to rate my self out of 100 id say im 75. my tactics are complex and i feel im a tactition but if you can win making hardly no changes then thats prob the down fall. Im puzzled

Same formation generally does me O.K (I've had to change it in the past to stop getting 15+ draws a season), but I'd never get anywhere if I didn't mess around with individual and team sliders. Its easy if you start as a premiership (Seria A/ La Liga) team and buy all the players of a 'best players' guide but I see no point in that.

i still find after a good season my current tactic is always rubbish..

I think tactics are more important when you have poorer players whom you have to get the best out of. In the Prem you just need to buy the best players and pick the best team.

I generally have 1 tactic that I keep with, whhich may differ slightly over time depending on personnal iie. a 4-4-2 may change to a diamond.

well im fairly stubborn' date=' i try and use a normal 4-4-2 with soem arrows on the wingers etc. the game does'nt seem to like wide formation's with wingers, it seems to like formation that pack the middle of the park..[/quote']

If you can't get wingers to work, then it's a faulty tactic, not a faulty game. I'm very tinkerish so I switch style of play alot, but I've never had any problems playing down the wings.

1 Tactic is fine but sometimes i find the computer seems to make you lose deliberately to make you rethink your tactics and give them abit of a shuffle round. I usually have 2 different attacking formations i can play well with my team and a defence formation for the big games where im the underdog.

i never change tactics unless im away to Real or Barca or sombody like that. i play my own system of 4-4-2 very direct and fairly attacking with my cenre backs sitting back. Works a treat until i play a side with 3 times my transferbudget every season so in them games i got 4-5-1

yeh! I just had basic team instructions, not even any set peice takers chosen or anything. And when I was younger and new to the game I never used to do anything on the tactics and would still come out winning everything with most of the teams I played with.

And you think people would ask you to upload your tactic? I can hardly believe what you just posted. And don't bother to reply me coz I won't still believe you unless you upload your save.

It really depends on what level your team is.

I have 7 different tactics that I use depending on who i'm playing, the odds that are given and the weather conditions.

sure, if you're playing with man utd, arsenal etc then you will win the majority of games but if you want success with a lower division team then you'll need more tactics.

generally i use direct, fast tempo with time wasting at home or against a poor side.

Or short, slow no time wasting away or against a good side.

changing my formation as well.

if i'm predicted to win by a landslide i might play 4-3-3,

if i'm predicted to get thrashed i play 4-5-1 with a holding midfielder.

if it could go either way then i play 4-1-4-1 with a holding midfielder and attacking wingers.

if you're really unsure then check out the section for tactics on the forum

I have an attacking 442 and a counter-attacking 442. If I'm playing away but the favourites to win, I plat the attacking 442 but with a deeper def line and narrower. If I'm at home but the underdogs I play the counter att 442 but with slight changes like wider and higher def line. Works a treat most of the time unless your opposition are just far superior.

One tactic can be fine but u need variation of that for sure.

It will be easier to build your team base on 1 tactic [eg. you buy all the positions you need for 442]

Then you might need a slow tempo attacking 442, a quick counter 442, a total defensive 442 etc....

I am using the same tactic ( with some small general editing ) since fm06 and it works great.

I don't know about attacking tactic tho , i am playing all out defence with 3 strikers in the box , helps confusing the AI .

Of course i still need the right players , like 2 tenacious DMs that can play equally well as MCs , an AM with play maker abilities that can mark and play in MC position (Vukcevic was great in 07) , 2 fast, dribbling , crossing winger/strikers (like Wagner Love) to play in the sides of my center forward and some real full backs that can defend .

No.

One formation is, but one complete tactic will never get you everything.

I disagree. I've used the exact same tactic for a while now, and trust me I don't cheat or save and re-load as you mention further up this thread. Once I've got my tactic working I never tinker at all while playing FM, I'm a very lazy player and only spend time at the start of a new save setting everything up. After that the tactic doesn't change, home or away, big games or easy games. And using this approach I've won plenty of leagues and trophies. At the moment I'm using a pretty basic 4-4-2 with no arrows on my Solihull Moors game from the Challenges thread. I've not altered this tactic once all season, either pre-match or during a game, and I'm very happy with my progress.

But, to the opening poster, in my experience you can't do this with an attacking tactic. A decent team will rip you apart if you play too attacking against them. So if you want to use one tactic long term then it must be a balanced tactic - not too defensive and not too attacking. Then it's all about improving your squad and concentrating on all the other things in FM that get you wins, like team talks, media interaction, training, opposition instructions etc. People put too much emphesis on tactics, there are many other parts of the game that you could be getting wrong and that are causing your team to underperform.

And to test the theory that you only need one tactic I tried something recently. I downloaded what is regarded as possibly the most successful tactic posted in the tactics forum this time round (admittedly it's a game breaker that uses lots of crazy arrows and a cheat corner routine). I downloaded this tactic and applied it to one of my better teams and then just played a whole season without changing anything. The team stormed the league with little effort, again proving that you really don't need to fiddle with your tactics all the time.

Archived