Are there any advantages to watching a game in 3D compared to 2D?

Only someone from SI can really answer this at the moment I guess but what I mean is say my defender races back to make a last ditch tackle on a forward bearing down on goal, is there/will there be an advantage to watching this in the 3D match engine as opposed to 2D? Or is the difference purely aesthetic?

Only someone from SI can really answer this at the moment I guess but what I mean is say my defender races back to make a last ditch tackle on a forward bearing down on goal, is there/will there be an advantage to watching this in the 3D match engine as opposed to 2D? Or is the difference purely aesthetic?

I suppose it adds some detail to a situation. I know the 2D dots were a god send when you were just used to commentary so lets hope 3D has the same effect.

Only someone from SI can really answer this at the moment

Not strictly true...

On topic - the 3d engine displays the same stuff that is calculated for the 2d engine - the only change is how it looks. Any other debate about the 3d engine is a little pointless as it's not finished yet.

Sooo much more. In theory it'll show just how good your strikers finishing is, great saves etc plus more of a perspective of height and angle. Apart from this its hard to describe exactly how but it just will. The whole look and feel of your team performing in something other then the current 2d will give you more feedback. Thats what I'm guessing anyway.

I think the biggest thing is that you will now be able to see stuff like how far wide a shot is or how great a save a keeper makes and it will make it easier to see how close 2 players are to the ball as the dots currently are very big and so its hard to judge just how close a player is. Also people to analyse how well your team is playing and how your tactics are working better I would have thought.

imo: 3D doesn't really help this game as if you really look at the stats of the match and individuals' stats you can tell how your team performs and area to improve. it is just nice to see how your players moves in 3D which i really feel it will be a great disappointment. the only chance 3D can work well it they approach Konami's PES as their players really resemble the player irl esp their moves and tricks.

On topic - the 3d engine displays the same stuff that is calculated for the 2d engine - the only change is how it looks. Any other debate about the 3d engine is a little pointless as it's not finished yet.

That isn't true actually. According to what SI have said they have programmed also Height and Depth into the 3d engine, so that changes quite a bit the display. Are the changes purely cosmetic? Hopefully not but at the very least they would give us a better understanding of the gameplay.

That isn't true actually. According to what SI have said they have programmed also Height and Depth into the 3d engine, so that changes quite a bit the display. Are the changes purely cosmetic? Hopefully not but at the very least they would give us a better understanding of the gameplay.

Height and depth were always calculated for the 2d engine, it's just that the display of this was basic at best.

Height and depth were always calculated for the 2d engine, it's just that the display of this was basic at best.

i am pretty sure you can find the related post(s) from SI so i won't bother looking for them. Still Height is purely cosmetic in the current versions and has no effect whatsoever. In 3d though the engine needs to know the height of the ball and the players to be able to tell if a chest control or a head control is needed for example.

Anyway the demo will soon be available and we can all find out

i am pretty sure you can find the related post(s) from SI so i won't bother looking for them. Still Height is purely cosmetic in the current versions and has no effect whatsoever. In 3d though the engine needs to know the height of the ball and the players to be able to tell if a chest control or a head control is needed for example.

Anyway the demo will soon be available and we can all find out

I meant the height of the ball, i fully agree that height of players is mostly cosmetic (it is used as a modifier to the likely value of jumping - this stops a 5ft player having jumping 20) - and let me assure you the height of the ball was always calculated for the 2d engine. In 2d the engine still needed to know what part of the players body was controlling the ball - it just wasn't apparent to us.

I guess Paul C doesn't agree with you

Anyway height isn't needed in the 2d engine as doesn't matter whether the player heads or chests the ball (regarding the 2d view i mean), all the game needs to know really is whether the player loses the ball or not. I think the only use of the height of the ball in the current version is to show the difference when the ball is airborne.

But all this is just small talk, we will find out soon enough :)

Anyway height isn't needed in the 2d engine as doesn't matter whether the player heads or chests the ball (regarding the 2d view i mean), all the game needs to know really is whether the player loses the ball or not. I think the only use of the height of the ball in the current version is to show the difference when the ball is airborne.

Where exactly does he talk about that? I could only see the part about "height of player" rather than the ball itself (which again is the part I was talking about).

I think you are missing the general idea.

To clear it up: there is no "2D engine" or "3D engine". There is only 1 match engine, and you can view it in 2D or in 3D. But the match engine is only one, and thus, the calculations and variables it includes are always the same. Hope that helps.

I think you are missing the general idea.

To clear it up: there is no "2D engine" or "3D engine". There is only 1 match engine, and you can view it in 2D or in 3D. But the match engine is only one, and thus, the calculations and variables it includes are always the same. Hope that helps.

oh i am sorry, i thought i made myself clear.

I was talking about the differences between the FM2008 match engine (which only has 2d) and the FM2009 match engine (with 2d/3d).

Hope that helps

oh i am sorry, i thought i made myself clear.

I was talking about the differences between the FM2008 match engine (which only has 2d) and the FM2009 match engine (with 2d/3d).

Hope that helps

Right - there's the whole issue here and the point you seem to be missing - essentially the ME's are the same thing, with improvements made in between versions. The 3d aspect is not the ME, it's just a way of presenting the ME, hence the majority of calculations will be the same as in FM08.

So, the only official changes to the ME are:

- player height will now factor into whether a player can win a header.

- ball physics have been re-written

That's about as far as i can go without breaching my NDA.

The height of the ball, and where it strikes a player have been part of the ME for a while as far as i know.

of course you are right.

ball physics has nothing to do with the height of the ball, nor with the way players react to the ball or thegameplay itself.

and i never said ball height is not part of the match engine, i merely pointed out that it had no significant role up until now

of course you are right.

ball physics has nothing to do with the height of the ball, nor with the way players react to the ball or thegameplay itself.

and i never said ball height is not part of the match engine, i merely pointed out that it had no significant role up until now

Oh for god's sake are you on a wind up?

How the hell does a ball go over someones head in the FM08 (and all the way back to CM1 fwiw) if ball height plays no significant role????? If that is not "significant" i don't know what is.

Similarly the commentary line "x controls with his chest" ....

As to your first point - ball physics - can you please clarify whether you're being sarcastic or not, as obviously it is not possible to infer this from inflection etc.

Archived