Powercuts!

Anybody ever had a powercut while playing FM and it has completely destroyed that save as you no longer feel you want to play it because you lost a few months progress? Must be annoying to have to replay those games... unless you did bad i guess. But do you consider that cheating even though it was not your fault?

I was just realising this as at work the power went off for 5 mins and i started to imagine how bad it would have been if it had happened half hour before when i was playin FM during my lunch!

PGB

Anybody ever had a powercut while playing FM and it has completely destroyed that save as you no longer feel you want to play it because you lost a few months progress? Must be annoying to have to replay those games... unless you did bad i guess. But do you consider that cheating even though it was not your fault?

I was just realising this as at work the power went off for 5 mins and i started to imagine how bad it would have been if it had happened half hour before when i was playin FM during my lunch!

PGB

Ive had this before as well, make sure you have two or three different copies of your save game :)

Ive had this before as well, make sure you have two or three different copies of your save game :)

I dont think that would help to avoid losing progress that would only stop problems if it corrupted your save. Im talking about it still working but it means you were say near the end of the season and last time you saved was in january. That would be pretty hard to do all over again :/

I dont think that would help to avoid losing progress that would only stop problems if it corrupted your save. Im talking about it still working but it means you were say near the end of the season and last time you saved was in january. That would be pretty hard to do all over again :/

One month rolling auto save will help.

Autosave regularly then? :)

I have it on weekly auto save that way if i do have a powercut then i only lose 1 or 2 agmes most. Although iof it happened and the game were crutial id feel wierd winning them second time roiund if i lost first time/

this happended to me yesterday i was playing as monopoli in italy and just managed to avoid relegation on the last game with a 2-1 win and the power went off lucky i saved it before that game so i just kept reloading it until i won i dont think its cheating becuase i allready won that game so

this happended to me yesterday i was playing as monopoli in italy and just managed to avoid relegation on the last game with a 2-1 win and the power went off lucky i saved it before that game so i just kept reloading it until i won i dont think its cheating becuase i allready won that game so

As long as if you'd lost and been relegated before the power went out, you'd keep playing until you lost again.

This has definitely happened to me in the past, and I was absolutely gutted. I'd won the F.A. Cup Final 1-0 on a 119th-minute goal from a debutante whom I was forced to play due to injury ...

even though I won the "replay" 3-1, he didn't have much of a game, and it did really poison my enjoyment of that save-game for months afterwards. I basically had to sell him so that I'd quit remembering what he "should have" been.

Since then, I've developed a couple of habits - weekly or fortnight rolling autosave, and I also try to manually save after each match which I can tell I'd mind replaying, or after any lengthy real-time (not game-time) operation, such as setting up the perfect training regime or contract renegotiations, etc.

Get a UPS. I had 3 power cuts today from 1-5 seconds and my computer was on for all 3, the UPS kicked in and kept going. It will keep on for 15 mins, more than enough time to save and shut down your comp if its a long power cut.

Great advice (bolded) from philly here, if you can afford it. UPS = Uninterruptable Power Supply. The basic idea is a capacitor, which stores up enough charge to power your computer for X amount of time (15m in philly's case, but the times vary from UPS to UPS).

However, "more than enough time to save"?? .. while that's true for most single-player games, it is not guaranteed to be true for multi-player hotseat games.

This is something I'd like SI to address, actually: if there are multiple matches at the same time of the same day, the hotseat game has the "Save" button disabled until all of the matches are complete.

I've been running an 8-player hotseat game, basically just messing around, managing a bunch of different teams in different leagues while waiting for '09 ;) and its come up a number of times where I have limited time, start playing a match day, and don't get to complete it. Maybe I complete the first two of six matches .. then I want to log off, shut down, but..

I can't save!

I don't understand the design reasoning behind this.

I've had the odd annoying power cut but they pale in comparison to the time when I lost a month's (game time) worth of matches, including a brilliant 3-1 win over Liverpool (I was Middlesbrough), when I accidentally pressed 'no' when asked if I wanted to save after pressing quit.

I was so gutted it took me over a week before I could face redoing all them matches again. Lost the 'replay' of that Liverpool game as well. Damn.

I've had the odd annoying power cut but they pale in comparison to the time when I lost a month's (game time) worth of matches, including a brilliant 3-1 win over Liverpool (I was Middlesbrough), when I accidentally pressed 'no' when asked if I wanted to save after pressing quit.

I was so gutted it took me over a week before I could face redoing all them matches again. Lost the 'replay' of that Liverpool game as well. Damn.

HAHA I feel your pain I did that once too :(

I now save daily with 3 different copies!! :thup:

Ditto.

(Aside - I'm finding this thread very strange - I've never been in such complete agreement with philly over anything! :D)

Funnily enough, a couple of people on the QPR forum begrudgingly say the same thing. I can imagine them posting with gritted teeth.

I even had one guy post something after me with exactly the same thoughts and then he said he didnt agree with me, but I agreed with him, now thats some great woman logic there.

(In reply to philly, of course)

:D

No gritted teeth here, I just thought it was funny.

Used to have a guy at work who I found myself in frequent disagreement with ... but any time we agreed on something out the gate, it turned out to be a brilliant improvement. :D

I once lost almost an entire season of game time (it takes an extrodinarilly long time to save, so I often just leave it running).

I was at Lazio at the time - the first time I won Serie A at a canter, although I crashed out of europe early.

When I replayed it, I finished 6th and had a squad rebellion (about half the squad had dislikes manager in their happiness screen - I had to sell them all - I think I know which player was the ringleader though...) but on the other hand, I did win the Champions league.

I couldn't really decide if this was better or worse in the end, but the replayed version is a better story, so I'm happy with it really.

It was a right pain though, I think I had a month off befoe I got back into replaying it...

Aye, I try to now, but sometimes I ust sht the lid - especially if I'm going out.

Actually - and i'm not sure how this didn't occur to me befoe - I did also lose three years of progress after the ceiling caved in and completely drenched the computer!

It was totally beyond repair.

Luckilly I had an off site backup...

Yeah, but even a laptop can't save you from everything. Like nick..., I tend to just close the lid, and sometimes I forget to save. Well, thanks to Vista's occasional decision to install updates and restart *even though I've told it not to*, I've gone back in time a couple of times on my last save.

I can't even imagine what I'd do if I lost three years .. :D

Yeah, but even a laptop can't save you from everything. Like nick..., I tend to just close the lid, and sometimes I forget to save. Well, thanks to Vista's occasional decision to install updates and restart *even though I've told it not to*, I've gone back in time a couple of times on my last save.

I can't even imagine what I'd do if I lost three years .. :D

GRRRR..... i hate vista it takes up so much memory so i cant run as many leagues on FM but im upgrading my RAM to 4gb soon i only have 1gb now so there should be a vast improvement

OMG!! i was thinking about this earlier today! And yes this has happened to me before, the worst time was fm05 i think where auto save really slowed the game down for me so i didnt have it on. I had played just over a season neglecting the fact to save the game. Doing well finished a season winning a cup and qualifying for europe when the kettle tripped the electricity and everything went off. Then when i booted the game back up i realy didnt want to play and didnt play fm until the next edition was out i was that mad :p

Strange that i was thinking about this today too as my game was loading for a while and i was desperate to save :p

Not a powercut but a crash. The other day I was trying to do one to many things. Gimp, Xara, iTunes, CoreFTP and FM all running. I went to save the game and it just totally froze up. I had to restart my computer but god bless SI - FM had made a backup for me! I was so releived, even though I'd just saved around two months ago.

For me, when it happens, I just can't get back into the game.

If this happens to me I get annoyed and just go on holiday until I get back to where I was before as I can't be bothered to play the games again.

I do the same except if it is at the end of the season coz thats when it is most important time to play. But if it is like Sept or feb I just holiday until I reach the same day as the power went off.

Archived