Why is it still a loved game?!

Hey,

Im just wondering why eveyone still loves CM01-02, im not dissing the game because i still like it myself, im just wondering what makes everyone out their still talk and revert back to it now? Every fansite or section on forums about the latest FM games allways ends up with people mentioning CM01-02.

So as i said im just wondering what made such a great game even now, SEVEN years on.

Cheers :)

Yeah as i thought people would say, its ultimatley fast and simple to use. so if its still loved seven years on, and people still better it to current games. why dont SI look at what made it so succesful and try and build on it instead of moving on completley with stuff like conferances and assistant feedback. :) dont all hate me now :D

They have to improve every season.

And the point where they want to go is to the realism of football. So it have to be a bit slower.

So it's like you can choose now or you play the classic games like CM 01/02 or go on to the future FM 09.

I think in a way, it's loved because it was the last (IMO) CM game worth anything. CM3 was ok, CM4 was awful and CM03/04 was fun, but not as absorbing. CM01/02 = the pinnacle of the CM days, FM is probably better, but there's still a nostalgia surrounding CM because so many people played it and fell in love with the series.

I loved cm01, like the others have said so easy to use and very quick, but damn I used to get addicted to it and play for hours on end.

I loved the Original CM on Amiga, many happy days sat around playing for hours with mates no other word to descibe it but a joy.

FM has to move with the times to keep up with competition but I think the trouble is sometimes people miss the point. FM is a GAME, it is intended to be a realistic simulation of a managers job but not a simulation of real life clubs/results.

In this I mean once you load the game the environment/clubs/teams/finances will be very close to real life but, and this is the point a lot of people miss, once you start a new season it is a GAME simulating your role as a manager.

If for instance Birmingham City get promoted in real life, this does not make FM a bad game if they get relegated in your simulated FM game world.

The original Championship Managers were always perceived as games a thing a lot of people lose sight of with the latest Football Manager Games.

I never played CM01/02 sadly, I must have missed a gem.

The first one I played was CM4 just before the split, then I moved to FM.

Championship Manager nowadays is rubbish in comparison.

This was also the only version of the game which I ever missed because I liked CM0001 just too much to drop it and improvements sounded about as little substantial than those of FM08 sounded. After having missed out that gem, of course I went for FM08 - and regretted it :(

Still I can not even go back to FM07. Every new version just has some improvements which are so nice that I never feel any older version worth playing anymore even if the new one is less fun overall.

I think it was popular due to the speed and user friendly it was but I believe that many couldn't go back now and enjoy it with the quality of FM 2008. I believe that SI released FML in order to return to this quick user friendly game style, while Football Manager is going to continue to get more realistic which I believe will only improve the game and is what the majority of the Sigames Forum wants.

Archived