Slow button reaction!!!

ron.e

I don't know how to explain this but i will give it a really good try. While i'm playing my game, i notice far too often that when i try and click on something like, manager pull-down options it doesn't always work the first time of asking. Sometimes i have to click it about 3 times for it to work. Also when i try to drag and drop from the tactics screen it's really slow and sometimes it puts someone else in the position instead of the person i want. In general the game has really slow reaction times. Has anyone else ever had this problem? if so what should i do about it? I hope it makes sense.

Its the game, I have a fast computer and its happened with every version of FM with several mice.

The responsiveness of the game needs to be improved.

For example, I use the 10 second timeout option, after 15 seasons, the game takes longer than 10 seconds to respond when processing so the 10 second timeout has passed and it starts processing again.

The jobs screen needs to be sorted too, that also takes more than 10 seconds to display in long games.

I dont have many problems now on a quad core. It happens only occasionally now, but on my old single core machine i used to double click everything since the game had a habit of forgetting i clicked the button. Who knows how the hell their gui is programmed but thats not how applications should behave.

It happens on my Athlon X2 6400 with 4gb of ram, so its not computer issues.

It's definitely a bug with the game, as it only happens around match days for me.

Turning all staff pictures off helped a bit, but its still really annoying.

It happens under both XP and Vista in my experience.

I have this problem. There are times when the game just refuses to respond to my mouse clicks. I'm sure it's because my computer isn't very good, though.

Just noticed you are in Formby Mike.. me too! :D Back on topic I had this problem sometimes but my laptop was overheating and i was getting CPU temps of 60C after just opening a few websites and I have had most of my parts replaced and my fans and I get 20-30C now with websites open so hopefully FM will run alot better!

I'm running it on a Dual-Core @ 3.06 GHz, and 2Gb Ram. Running Windows XP Home, and i've, pretty much, optimized it for FM. Deactivated everything that doesn't have to run in the background, so there's very little that is running in the background. Still i get that problem. Clicking myself onto the Job-screen is taking it's time as well. If i click on something and leave it for about 10-20 seconds then it seems to be fine.

I have a naff little laptop so this is a problem for me too, although most annoyingly seems to be the way the game starts processing something or other at times just when you move your mouse over a button without clicking it, which means I have to sit around waiting for it to do whatever it is doing before I can actually click the button.

I've had this problem myself with my mouse on my laptop, its a slight irritant but not too bad

Just noticed you are in Formby Mike.. me too! :D Back on topic I had this problem sometimes but my laptop was overheating and i was getting CPU temps of 60C after just opening a few websites and I have had most of my parts replaced and my fans and I get 20-30C now with websites open so hopefully FM will run alot better!

I'm a bit down the road from you both

I was going to suggest changing the batteries in your mouse if you have a wireless one but it seems alot are having the same problem, so it very unlikely to be that!

Can't say I've ever had the problem being described.

I have this problem. There are times when the game just refuses to respond to my mouse clicks. I'm sure it's because my computer isn't very good, though.

What is the spec of your computer i.e type and speed of processor, how much ram do you have and what is the size of your hard drive. You might be running too many leagues for your current spec of machine. Trying to disable some of the stuff running in the background will also help as will disabling your anti virus or telling it to ignore your FM folders.

This was definitely happening to me in FM'05 on a slower computer.

I suspect that the root of my problem was that Windows would have to go off and do page swapping (moving data from physical RAM to virtual memory/hard drive), and during that time the game was unresponsive.

If that really was the root of the problem, then

- more RAM

- less leagues / smaller DB

might help you get out of it.

This was definitely happening to me in FM'05 on a slower computer.

I suspect that the root of my problem was that Windows would have to go off and do page swapping (moving data from physical RAM to virtual memory/hard drive), and during that time the game was unresponsive.

If that really was the root of the problem, then

- more RAM

- less leagues / smaller DB

might help you get out of it.

Like I said, i have 4gb of fast RAM and a big processor, far in advance of even the recommended requirements. It's happened in all football managers for a while now. I could install FM2005 on this machine and it would do the same thing on match days.

It's a bug with the games coding somewhere.

This usually happens on match day and as much as I can gather it's because of the way matches are processed in FM. I previously thought, like most, that all the processing takes place when you click 'continue' and the screen shows up. However it seems that the processing actually starts in the background on match days. I noticed it because I had task manager open while playing FM and the CPU usage shot up while the game appeared to be doing nothing. Then I started to look into it and found out that if you allow it to do it's thing and wait until the processor goes back to idle it will then go through the 'processing' screen almost instantly. The lag ingame also occurs when the CPU usage is high so I'm pretty sure this is what's causing the issue.

You can all try it out yourselves, just have task manager open and check the CPU usage on matchdays (before going to match).

I've never had this on this current computer, used to get it long term games on my old comp and that was a RAM issue. Possibly people have viruses, imcompatable programs, or assorted malware thats causing issues, maybe even 'invalid' (not neccesarily ripping off windows (XP and Vista); theres a known problem with windows thinking its being used illegally when updating) copies of windows are the issue.

Well, happens a lot on my pre-intel mac... But then i'm running itunes, safari and stuff like Illustrator in the background... Almost certainly a ram issue. I just quickly pop into another screen such as from tactics to teamtalk and then back again and it'll work fine for the rest of the day...

This usually happens on match day and as much as I can gather it's because of the way matches are processed in FM. I previously thought, like most, that all the processing takes place when you click 'continue' and the screen shows up. However it seems that the processing actually starts in the background on match days. I noticed it because I had task manager open while playing FM and the CPU usage shot up while the game appeared to be doing nothing. Then I started to look into it and found out that if you allow it to do it's thing and wait until the processor goes back to idle it will then go through the 'processing' screen almost instantly. The lag ingame also occurs when the CPU usage is high so I'm pretty sure this is what's causing the issue.

You can all try it out yourselves, just have task manager open and check the CPU usage on matchdays (before going to match).

If that's the case, you can control it within FM - that would be what the settings from "Faster" to "More Responsive" are about.

I'm pretty sure this is what's happening.

Sometimes when it's being unresponsive I'd go off and browse the web or something, and come back and it'll be nice and quick again (relatively for my computer).

It's a definite bug, pretty safe to say now its not malware related or anything, why would that just make the game slow down only on match days? Think before posting!

It happens on crap machines as well as good machines, and its happened since at least FM2007 and probably earlier.

What is the spec of your computer i.e type and speed of processor, how much ram do you have and what is the size of your hard drive. You might be running too many leagues for your current spec of machine. Trying to disable some of the stuff running in the background will also help as will disabling your anti virus or telling it to ignore your FM folders.

I'm ashamed to say this, but I don't know the answer to any of the questions you asked! But I appreciate the attempt to help.

To be fair, whatever it is that's causing this, it's ultimately down to bad programming. It's acceptable and quite logical that the game will process fixtures slower on older (slower) machines. It's ok if the match display lags a bit cause the comp can't quite handle it. But a user interface that lags like hell is something that should be ironed out during performance tests. I've recently upgraded my computer a bit and it's alright now, but it was at times barely tolerable with the previous config (while the processing times and match engine performance were perfectly acceptable). The whole UI could do with a complete overhaul in my opinion (especially on the mechanics rather than visuals).

This also happens on cup draws when my team is being pulled out of the hat,there seems to be a 5 second freeze. It has to be a programming problem as I have the same problem as everyone else.

I think that happens because the game immediately generates a news item as it draws your team.

I'm ashamed to say this, but I don't know the answer to any of the questions you asked! But I appreciate the attempt to help.

Dont bother doing anything, its not your computer. Its the game, even if you had a slow computer, youd have thought the programming would have given priority to control over the game instead of processing.

I still get it even with a dual core machine.

Checking the vacancies is by far the worst part for me. Takes ages. And that is on a dual core. But i have to say that, for me, it seems to happen whenever it wants. Not just only on matchdays, cup draws and checking vacancies. And i have nothing in the background running. By that i mean other programs like Firefox, IE, Media Player etc... And i deactivated most of the background stuff i don't need. Didn't make a difference.

Checking vacancies takes hardly any time at all for me (although this is on FM05 - before the new job centre).

Comparing past meetings between teams is a completely different kettle of fish however - I have time to go off and make a cup of tea very time I want to try and do that!

Archived