Asking players to get a yellow card

Neji

I don't think this will be all that popular of a suggestion but I felt like I should suggest it anyway :p

I'm currently in the UEFA Cup and are about to play the second leg against Schalke. It's currently 1-1. Problem is, all my back four are one yellow away from getting a yellow card. In the next round I will play either Fenerbache or B. Jerusalem. I'm pretty confident I could win against either of them without my strongest back four.

So I'd like to ask maybe one or two of my defenders to pick up a yellow card on purpose, so they miss the next match and I don't have to risk them missing the final. Like I said, I know this probably wont be a popular suggestion but it would certainly help in these situations.

I don't really see a problem with it. I'm certain this happens in real life, but I doubt a manager would ever admit to it. And that might be where the problem lies; if real life managers admitted doing this then it would have to be in the game for realism. But because they don't admit to doing it, many people might feel that it's not in keeping with the traditions of the game, or something like that.

Yup it's a good idea , there would ned to be some kind of risk/penalty involved tho I think.

Well the risk would be that he'd pick up another one, or your replacement for him wouldn't be good enough.

You, Becks did do it, or thats what he said anyway :)

Might need to have it as a half time suggestion, you don't want them picking one up early and then getting a second yellow later on. At least telling them to do it at half time would minimise the length of time they are playing with a yellow.

Good idea btw.

I don't really see a problem with it. I'm certain this happens in real life, but I doubt a manager would ever admit to it. And that might be where the problem lies; if real life managers admitted doing this then it would have to be in the game for realism. But because they don't admit to doing it, many people might feel that it's not in keeping with the traditions of the game, or something like that.

I agree with that point, it definitely happens IRL.

But it might be received the same way as "Simulation/diving" is in Football games - badly.

I'm sure some manager's specify certain players for some very special treatment during the game and also diving to earn penalties but I'm not sure a specific option for either is a good idea!! No manager would admit to this in real life for obvious reasons

However you can already influence the chances of a yellow card setting tackling to hard and close marking. Get him off quick once on a yellow else it could back-fire and he get a red!

However you can already influence the chances of a yellow card setting tackling to hard and close marking. Get him off quick once on a yellow else it could back-fire and he get a red!

See, I did this but after two games of doing it, he still didn't pick up a yellow card.

The option would be there to almost guarantee it. He wouldn't need to injure anyone, or kick them just simply make a synical foul or pull some shirts :)

I believe Beckham (or was it Roberto Carlos) admitted to doing it, though he said it wasn't an instruction from the coach. I do believe it isnt a bad idea though.

I remember a few years ago during an international qualifyer Becks took a yellow after he pulled a muscle. He was 1 yellow away from suspension, and since he was going to miss the next match because of the muscle strain, he went back on the field, got his yellow and was subbed off, taking his international suspension knowing full well he couldn't play the next game anyways due to injury.

Some of my friends debated that it was cheap, I said it was a good tactical move, and wouldn't mind seeing it in a future release, but if it won't, then no worries.

I am worried that SI won't impliment this because it's not an "approved football tactic" but could prove useful, especially with a large game looming, get that suspension out of the way so the player can be in the game for sure

Actually, if you're hunting for cards I'd recommend playing loose marking, with high closing down and hard tackling. With tight marking, you'll mostly see niggling fouls, and the player your defender is marking has to see a lot of the ball for these fouls to add up to a card. Playing looser (in my experience) gives players the chance to accelerate, really mistime tackles, and see cards for one-off offenses. Of course, playing this way could also end up in your boys seeing straight red, not to mention it's tactical madness to set defenders to high closing down in any instance and you'll gift goals. Now how bad do you want those cards?

In all seriousness though, why not just bring in the backups for your next match. Then it's a non-issue.

In all seriousness though, why not just bring in the backups for your next match. Then it's a non-issue.

It was the first knock out round. So even if my backups played, I would still have to worry about cards for the later rounds.

I'm not sure if the manager should ask a player to do it. But maybe a player with low professionalism and, say, high ambition (wants to play in the big games) would do it so that he played in the final, or missed the game against Wigan, but played in the game against Man United?

It wouldn't even have to be a message in the game coming up about it. After all, do many players admit what they've done to their managers?

It's a tricky one. I wouldn't be in favour too much, tbh, but I have no problems if it was implemented subtly.

i'd like to see it personally, as it does happen irl (although i'm not sure if the manager has a hand in it) and therefore it being in the game would add to realism, which i'm all for.

however, i thought SI said that they would never put anything in the game that was against the rules of football?

I think lower league players or other players on low wages should refuse to do it tbh, as players get fined for bookings. I don't think a player literally playing to put bread on the table would do this.

Get fined by who?

An instruction to the players to take off their shirt and celebrate even if a goal is not scored would be nice. :D Easy and fool proof way to get a yellow card.

I dont think time wasting brings yellow cards but if it does, you can tell your wing backs to hold up the ball and keep time wasting at max and try. Not sure if it will work though.

EDIT : we should also be able to ask the player to argue with the referee for everything, that should bring a yellow card out and a smile in your face :D

He must have been on about Sunday League Football where you have to pay fines for being booked or sent off. Got nothing to do with the topic he must just be confused

Actually, IRL, players do get fined for bookings at top level matches. By the FA.

I've heard of this happening in American college soccer. The coaches would talk to the referees before the match and let them know who needs one yellow for suspension. The player then went up to the referee late in the match and basically said "give me a yellow" and the ref did.

With all the Fair Play stuff and documentaries like the State of the Game etc. I really doubt that SI will do this.

I remeber Total Football used to have deliberate diving (whether they still do, I don't know). An absoloutely terrible feature. It really sets a bad example for kids, the future footballing generation.

Not sure it will ever be done, as technically it's asking a player to cheat, which i'm sure SI will consider the same as asking a player to dive, take someone out etc.

Do sympathise with you though, there are times when i wish the bans fell on easier games :D

I don't think this will be all that popular of a suggestion but I felt like I should suggest it anyway :p

I'm currently in the UEFA Cup and are about to play the second leg against Schalke. It's currently 1-1. Problem is, all my back four are one yellow away from getting a yellow card. In the next round I will play either Fenerbache or B. Jerusalem. I'm pretty confident I could win against either of them without my strongest back four.

So I'd like to ask maybe one or two of my defenders to pick up a yellow card on purpose, so they miss the next match and I don't have to risk them missing the final. Like I said, I know this probably wont be a popular suggestion but it would certainly help in these situations.

Couldn't you just drop/rest one or two for the S/F, so that they won't be suspended?

Why not just play them, and if they pick up the last yellow, great, if not then bench them for the next game so that they don't get banned for the big game...?

Ok here was what happened.

1st Knockout Round - all 4 defenders one yellow away from getting a ban

2nd Knockout Round - I want them to miss this because I already know which team I am facing and think my weaker team can beat them

Then we have the Quarter Finals. Say I get a big team. I have to play my strongest players. However, if they get a yellow in this, they miss the Semi. If they don't get a yellow and I get a big team in the semi's then I have to play him again. If he picks up a yellow, he misses the final.

The point is that he will always be that one card away from a ban. I want him to miss the easy game, so I don't have to worry about him getting banned.

use hard tackling and set to close marking often closing down works does it not?

use hard tackling and set to close marking often closing down works does it not?

I can't remember whether I suggested this or was part of a discussion about it some time ago, basically though I thought it should be in the game because:

1) it does happen irl and

2) it would be incredibly useful in for example Neji's situation

However all I got was the answer I have qouted and tbh no it doesn't work, what we want is to be able to tell the player to get booked and 9/10 times he will do just that, whether it be an obvious trip in the opponents half or time wasting or whatever. We don't want to set his tackling to hard etc etc and risk him getting sent off or not picking up a yellow at all and we don't want to change our tactics to accomodate one man on a mission to get booked.

So yes I think it's a good idea :thup:

However all I got was the answer I have qouted and tbh no it doesn't work, what we want is to be able to tell the player to get booked and 9/10 times he will do just that, whether it be an obvious trip in the opponents half or time wasting or whatever. We don't want to set his tackling to hard etc etc and risk him getting sent off or not picking up a yellow at all and we don't want to change our tactics to accomodate one man on a mission to get booked.
Thats it exactly.

I want an option to guarantee he will get the yellow because he will actively be looking for it. I don't want to risk him being sent off, I don't want him to go out and injure anyone, I just want him to do a silly foul which will get him a yellow.

Anyway, I changed the tactics he would use and he didn't pick up the yellow I wanted him too. I felt like I was going out of my way to get him one and I also felt like it was beginning to affect the teams performance. I don't want that.

Anyway, I changed the tactics he would use and he didn't pick up the yellow I wanted him too. I felt like I was going out of my way to get him one and I also felt like it was beginning to affect the teams performance. I don't want that.

I wonder if he'd have been more likely to pick it up if you'd played him out of position? :D

"Okay, Jimmy, I want you out at left wing."

"But, gaffter, I'm a centre half!"

"I know, I know - just close them down all over the pitch, and really get stuck in the tackles. You'll be all right."

" ... "

I wonder if he'd have been more likely to pick it up if you'd played him out of position? :D

"Okay, Jimmy, I want you out at left wing."

"But, gaffter, I'm a centre half!"

"I know, I know - just close them down all over the pitch, and really get stuck in the tackles. You'll be all right."

" ... "

I prefer the idea that Barteh posted, just get him to take his shirt off :D

"Three minutes from the end, no matter where you are, I want you to take your shirt off!"

:D

Shouldn't this be a player-related thing rather than a managerial command? A top professional would never do this, while someone with a bit more "gamesman" to him might well decide to pick up a card to serve his ban when he wants to.

What would be nice is a way to "hint" to your players if you are for fiar play or gamesmanship. This would then affect diving, picking up that 5th yellow, drop balls, etc. Of course, encouraging one extreme with a team that leans the other way would cause them to ignore you, and a clash of personalities?

Shouldn't this be a player-related thing rather than a managerial command?

I think you could make the case for either, or maybe even both. I think you're right that some may refuse to do it and have a clash with you, this would be an obvious drawback to trying to use it.

I think that's the point of a squad? covering injuries, suspensions etc.Asking to get booked is cheating imo an i don't like cheats lol

That is the point of the squad but why did Chelsea appeal against Terry's sending off?

That is the point of the squad but why did Chelsea appeal against Terry's sending off?

You have your squad to cover any unavoidable suspensions or injuries - obviously if you can avoid the suspension you try to (like Terry's red card) but if terry had still been suspended then the squad would have coped.

Still regardless, asking a player too get booked is basically asking him to break the rules, hence why regardless of any real life precendent, i doubt SI will ever incorporate it.

In much the same way as you can't ask a player to dive despite it probably happening IRL.

That's diofferent.Terry alone took Jo out, i'm sure Big Phil wasnt on the sidelines screaming ''get sent off son'' in all seriuosness though Terry didn't do it to get a card he done it to prevent a goal.I take your point but i would'nt like to see this in the game,using your squad is what football is about these days an asking people to get carded to miss games would make it more like Fifa IMO but it's just my opinion :D

Archived