PDA

View Full Version : Asking players to get a yellow card

Neji
24-09-2008, 14:47
I don't think this will be all that popular of a suggestion but I felt like I should suggest it anyway :p

I'm currently in the UEFA Cup and are about to play the second leg against Schalke. It's currently 1-1. Problem is, all my back four are one yellow away from getting a yellow card. In the next round I will play either Fenerbache or B. Jerusalem. I'm pretty confident I could win against either of them without my strongest back four.

So I'd like to ask maybe one or two of my defenders to pick up a yellow card on purpose, so they miss the next match and I don't have to risk them missing the final. Like I said, I know this probably wont be a popular suggestion but it would certainly help in these situations.

chopper99
24-09-2008, 14:50
I don't really see a problem with it. I'm certain this happens in real life, but I doubt a manager would ever admit to it. And that might be where the problem lies; if real life managers admitted doing this then it would have to be in the game for realism. But because they don't admit to doing it, many people might feel that it's not in keeping with the traditions of the game, or something like that.

Mark Man
24-09-2008, 15:19
Neji - That's a great idea in my opinion!

blueowl
24-09-2008, 15:22
Yup it's a good idea , there would ned to be some kind of risk/penalty involved tho I think.

Xennaz
24-09-2008, 15:22
I believe Beckham (or was it Roberto Carlos) admitted to doing it, though he said it wasn't an instruction from the coach. I do believe it isnt a bad idea though.

Neji
24-09-2008, 15:24
Yup it's a good idea , there would ned to be some kind of risk/penalty involved tho I think.

Well the risk would be that he'd pick up another one, or your replacement for him wouldn't be good enough.

You, Becks did do it, or thats what he said anyway :)

Nomis07
24-09-2008, 15:29
Might need to have it as a half time suggestion, you don't want them picking one up early and then getting a second yellow later on. At least telling them to do it at half time would minimise the length of time they are playing with a yellow.

Good idea btw.

glamdring
24-09-2008, 15:31
I'd rather have an option to ask my imbecile full-backs and DMCs to please try not to pick up a yellow card in a game - that'd be a nice novelty :eek:

Wee Aja
24-09-2008, 15:36
I don't really see a problem with it. I'm certain this happens in real life, but I doubt a manager would ever admit to it. And that might be where the problem lies; if real life managers admitted doing this then it would have to be in the game for realism. But because they don't admit to doing it, many people might feel that it's not in keeping with the traditions of the game, or something like that.

I agree with that point, it definitely happens IRL.
But it might be received the same way as "Simulation/diving" is in Football games - badly.

MrPompey
24-09-2008, 15:45
I'm sure some manager's specify certain players for some very special treatment during the game and also diving to earn penalties but I'm not sure a specific option for either is a good idea!! No manager would admit to this in real life for obvious reasons

However you can already influence the chances of a yellow card setting tackling to hard and close marking. Get him off quick once on a yellow else it could back-fire and he get a red!

Neji
24-09-2008, 15:48
However you can already influence the chances of a yellow card setting tackling to hard and close marking. Get him off quick once on a yellow else it could back-fire and he get a red!

See, I did this but after two games of doing it, he still didn't pick up a yellow card.

The option would be there to almost guarantee it. He wouldn't need to injure anyone, or kick them just simply make a synical foul or pull some shirts :)

Leaf_Fan_85
24-09-2008, 15:56
I believe Beckham (or was it Roberto Carlos) admitted to doing it, though he said it wasn't an instruction from the coach. I do believe it isnt a bad idea though.

I remember a few years ago during an international qualifyer Becks took a yellow after he pulled a muscle. He was 1 yellow away from suspension, and since he was going to miss the next match because of the muscle strain, he went back on the field, got his yellow and was subbed off, taking his international suspension knowing full well he couldn't play the next game anyways due to injury.

Some of my friends debated that it was cheap, I said it was a good tactical move, and wouldn't mind seeing it in a future release, but if it won't, then no worries.

I am worried that SI won't impliment this because it's not an "approved football tactic" but could prove useful, especially with a large game looming, get that suspension out of the way so the player can be in the game for sure

American Gloryhunter
24-09-2008, 16:08

Actually, if you're hunting for cards I'd recommend playing loose marking, with high closing down and hard tackling. With tight marking, you'll mostly see niggling fouls, and the player your defender is marking has to see a lot of the ball for these fouls to add up to a card. Playing looser (in my experience) gives players the chance to accelerate, really mistime tackles, and see cards for one-off offenses. Of course, playing this way could also end up in your boys seeing straight red, not to mention it's tactical madness to set defenders to high closing down in any instance and you'll gift goals. Now how bad do you want those cards?

In all seriousness though, why not just bring in the backups for your next match. Then it's a non-issue.

Neji
24-09-2008, 16:15
In all seriousness though, why not just bring in the backups for your next match. Then it's a non-issue.

It was the first knock out round. So even if my backups played, I would still have to worry about cards for the later rounds.

Barteh
24-09-2008, 16:37
Could ask them to take off their shirts to get a yellow card. xD That would be the easiest way irl as well. Never seen that happen though.

GillsMan
24-09-2008, 16:38
I'm not sure if the manager should ask a player to do it. But maybe a player with low professionalism and, say, high ambition (wants to play in the big games) would do it so that he played in the final, or missed the game against Wigan, but played in the game against Man United?

It wouldn't even have to be a message in the game coming up about it. After all, do many players admit what they've done to their managers?

It's a tricky one. I wouldn't be in favour too much, tbh, but I have no problems if it was implemented subtly.

SCIAG
24-09-2008, 16:52
I think lower league players or other players on low wages should refuse to do it tbh, as players get fined for bookings. I don't think a player literally playing to put bread on the table would do this.

rougess
24-09-2008, 16:53
i'd like to see it personally, as it does happen irl (although i'm not sure if the manager has a hand in it) and therefore it being in the game would add to realism, which i'm all for.

however, i thought SI said that they would never put anything in the game that was against the rules of football?

Neji
24-09-2008, 16:54
I think lower league players or other players on low wages should refuse to do it tbh, as players get fined for bookings. I don't think a player literally playing to put bread on the table would do this.

Get fined by who?

Neji
24-09-2008, 16:55
Is diving in the game?

DPG
24-09-2008, 16:58
Pretty good idea, not the most sporting but it would be helpful.
For now you should just set defenders to close down a lot and tackle hard.

el sid
24-09-2008, 17:34
An instruction to the players to take off their shirt and celebrate even if a goal is not scored would be nice. :D Easy and fool proof way to get a yellow card.
I dont think time wasting brings yellow cards but if it does, you can tell your wing backs to hold up the ball and keep time wasting at max and try. Not sure if it will work though.

EDIT : we should also be able to ask the player to argue with the referee for everything, that should bring a yellow card out and a smile in your face :D

Amaroq
24-09-2008, 18:04
I think the easiest way would be: in stoppage time of the match, with the game in hand, have the player you want to pick up the yellow get it for time-wasting on the next dead-ball. No chance of a red, not quite as obvious as pulling his shirt off. :D

williamshankley
24-09-2008, 18:17
Get fined by who?

He must have been on about Sunday League Football where you have to pay fines for being booked or sent off. Got nothing to do with the topic he must just be confused

SCIAG
24-09-2008, 18:19
He must have been on about Sunday League Football where you have to pay fines for being booked or sent off. Got nothing to do with the topic he must just be confused
Actually, IRL, players do get fined for bookings at top level matches. By the FA.

abyss616
24-09-2008, 18:32
I've heard of this happening in American college soccer. The coaches would talk to the referees before the match and let them know who needs one yellow for suspension. The player then went up to the referee late in the match and basically said "give me a yellow" and the ref did.

Neji
24-09-2008, 19:08
Actually, IRL, players do get fined for bookings at top level matches. By the FA.

Really? Didn't know that.

Paz-CCFC
24-09-2008, 20:23
With all the Fair Play stuff and documentaries like the State of the Game etc. I really doubt that SI will do this.

I remeber Total Football used to have deliberate diving (whether they still do, I don't know). An absoloutely terrible feature. It really sets a bad example for kids, the future footballing generation.

canvey!!
24-09-2008, 20:29
Is diving in the game?

Not as an instruction. I think it should be, as should your original post. It would be realstic and useful, maybe even a wee bit exciting!

Wolverhaptom
24-09-2008, 20:33
why would ask to get yellow, either just not play them if you want them to miss it or have them on the bench just in case you start losing and made a mistake.

canvey!!
24-09-2008, 20:34
But the point is they'll always be only one card away from suspension unless you get them suspended. Get the suspension out of the way against the easy teams so the defender can play against the big teams.

Socdk
24-09-2008, 21:46
Why not just play them, and if they pick up the last yellow, great, if not then bench them for the next game so that they don't get banned for the big game...?

Ched
24-09-2008, 21:50
Not sure it will ever be done, as technically it's asking a player to cheat, which i'm sure SI will consider the same as asking a player to dive, take someone out etc.

Do sympathise with you though, there are times when i wish the bans fell on easier games :D

mattant250
24-09-2008, 21:50
I don't think this will be all that popular of a suggestion but I felt like I should suggest it anyway :p

I'm currently in the UEFA Cup and are about to play the second leg against Schalke. It's currently 1-1. Problem is, all my back four are one yellow away from getting a yellow card. In the next round I will play either Fenerbache or B. Jerusalem. I'm pretty confident I could win against either of them without my strongest back four.

So I'd like to ask maybe one or two of my defenders to pick up a yellow card on purpose, so they miss the next match and I don't have to risk them missing the final. Like I said, I know this probably wont be a popular suggestion but it would certainly help in these situations.

Couldn't you just drop/rest one or two for the S/F, so that they won't be suspended?

Neji
24-09-2008, 21:54
Why not just play them, and if they pick up the last yellow, great, if not then bench them for the next game so that they don't get banned for the big game...?

Ok here was what happened.

1st Knockout Round - all 4 defenders one yellow away from getting a ban
2nd Knockout Round - I want them to miss this because I already know which team I am facing and think my weaker team can beat them

Then we have the Quarter Finals. Say I get a big team. I have to play my strongest players. However, if they get a yellow in this, they miss the Semi. If they don't get a yellow and I get a big team in the semi's then I have to play him again. If he picks up a yellow, he misses the final.

The point is that he will always be that one card away from a ban. I want him to miss the easy game, so I don't have to worry about him getting banned.

stevie_G_32201
24-09-2008, 21:54

use hard tackling and set to close marking often closing down works does it not?

Whoopy D
24-09-2008, 22:17
use hard tackling and set to close marking often closing down works does it not?

I can't remember whether I suggested this or was part of a discussion about it some time ago, basically though I thought it should be in the game because:

1) it does happen irl and
2) it would be incredibly useful in for example Neji's situation

However all I got was the answer I have qouted and tbh no it doesn't work, what we want is to be able to tell the player to get booked and 9/10 times he will do just that, whether it be an obvious trip in the opponents half or time wasting or whatever. We don't want to set his tackling to hard etc etc and risk him getting sent off or not picking up a yellow at all and we don't want to change our tactics to accomodate one man on a mission to get booked.

So yes I think it's a good idea :thup:

stevie_G_32201
24-09-2008, 22:20
never really put THAT much thought into it tbh :) but suppose under some circumsances it can work

nice idea i think lol

Neji
24-09-2008, 22:24
However all I got was the answer I have qouted and tbh no it doesn't work, what we want is to be able to tell the player to get booked and 9/10 times he will do just that, whether it be an obvious trip in the opponents half or time wasting or whatever. We don't want to set his tackling to hard etc etc and risk him getting sent off or not picking up a yellow at all and we don't want to change our tactics to accomodate one man on a mission to get booked.Thats it exactly.

I want an option to guarantee he will get the yellow because he will actively be looking for it. I don't want to risk him being sent off, I don't want him to go out and injure anyone, I just want him to do a silly foul which will get him a yellow.

Anyway, I changed the tactics he would use and he didn't pick up the yellow I wanted him too. I felt like I was going out of my way to get him one and I also felt like it was beginning to affect the teams performance. I don't want that.

Neji
24-09-2008, 22:24
never really put THAT much thought into it tbh :) but suppose under some circumsances it can work

nice idea i think lol

You just made my last post totally useless :D

stevie_G_32201
24-09-2008, 22:30
mwahahaha useless post maker at your service :D

if thats a thing if it aint im just mad ;)

Amaroq
24-09-2008, 23:00
Anyway, I changed the tactics he would use and he didn't pick up the yellow I wanted him too. I felt like I was going out of my way to get him one and I also felt like it was beginning to affect the teams performance. I don't want that.
I wonder if he'd have been more likely to pick it up if you'd played him out of position? :D

"Okay, Jimmy, I want you out at left wing."

"But, gaffter, I'm a centre half!"

"I know, I know - just close them down all over the pitch, and really get stuck in the tackles. You'll be all right."

" ... "

Neji
24-09-2008, 23:09
I wonder if he'd have been more likely to pick it up if you'd played him out of position? :D

"Okay, Jimmy, I want you out at left wing."

"But, gaffter, I'm a centre half!"

"I know, I know - just close them down all over the pitch, and really get stuck in the tackles. You'll be all right."

" ... "

I prefer the idea that Barteh posted, just get him to take his shirt off :D

"Three minutes from the end, no matter where you are, I want you to take your shirt off!"

:D

r0x0r
24-09-2008, 23:18
Shouldn't this be a player-related thing rather than a managerial command? A top professional would never do this, while someone with a bit more "gamesman" to him might well decide to pick up a card to serve his ban when he wants to.

What would be nice is a way to "hint" to your players if you are for fiar play or gamesmanship. This would then affect diving, picking up that 5th yellow, drop balls, etc. Of course, encouraging one extreme with a team that leans the other way would cause them to ignore you, and a clash of personalities?

Neji
24-09-2008, 23:21
Shouldn't this be a player-related thing rather than a managerial command?

I think you could make the case for either, or maybe even both. I think you're right that some may refuse to do it and have a clash with you, this would be an obvious drawback to trying to use it.

Prank Emperor
25-09-2008, 00:16
I would like to have this in the game. Even though no one admits it, it does happen IRL

digsy11
25-09-2008, 02:24
I think that's the point of a squad? covering injuries, suspensions etc.Asking to get booked is cheating imo an i don't like cheats lol

Neji
25-09-2008, 13:05
I think that's the point of a squad? covering injuries, suspensions etc.Asking to get booked is cheating imo an i don't like cheats lol

That is the point of the squad but why did Chelsea appeal against Terry's sending off?

Ched
25-09-2008, 13:09
That is the point of the squad but why did Chelsea appeal against Terry's sending off?

You have your squad to cover any unavoidable suspensions or injuries - obviously if you can avoid the suspension you try to (like Terry's red card) but if terry had still been suspended then the squad would have coped.

Still regardless, asking a player too get booked is basically asking him to break the rules, hence why regardless of any real life precendent, i doubt SI will ever incorporate it.
In much the same way as you can't ask a player to dive despite it probably happening IRL.

digsy11
25-09-2008, 13:21

That's diofferent.Terry alone took Jo out, i'm sure Big Phil wasnt on the sidelines screaming ''get sent off son'' in all seriuosness though Terry didn't do it to get a card he done it to prevent a goal.I take your point but i would'nt like to see this in the game,using your squad is what football is about these days an asking people to get carded to miss games would make it more like Fifa IMO but it's just my opinion :D

digsy11
25-09-2008, 13:23
Oh an they appealed cos the ref sent was wrong in sending him off not because there squad is rubbish lol

Ched
25-09-2008, 13:26
Oh an they appealed cos the ref sent was wrong in sending him off not because there squad is rubbish lol

Does this even qualify as english?

Only joking ;)

digsy11
25-09-2008, 13:28
Does this even qualify as english?

Only joking ;)

lol just re-read that, was holding my keyboard away from my one year old daughter...that's my excuse anyway lol

glamdring
25-09-2008, 13:33
This has never been a problem for me as I take the short sighted approach and follow the "focus only on the next game" mantra. Thus I never rest players (unless I am "resting" them because they are out of form!), I never take notice of whether I'll have any players left to play in the next round, I just send what I think is my best team out week in week out, irrespective of the competition.

Thus I remember in CM03/04 taking Scotland into the World Cup final with only ~4 players on the bench because the rest were suspended or injured (bit like Turkey in last Euros actuallly). In the end we won in extra time though and I think I only used 1 substitute so it didn't matter.

Neji
25-09-2008, 16:01
You have your squad to cover any unavoidable suspensions or injuries - obviously if you can avoid the suspension you try to (like Terry's red card) but if terry had still been suspended then the squad would have coped.

Thats basically what I'm asking for. I'm trying to get it out of the way to avoid the suspension being in an important match.

That's diofferent.Terry alone took Jo out, i'm sure Big Phil wasnt on the sidelines screaming ''get sent off son'' in all seriuosness though Terry didn't do it to get a card he done it to prevent a goal.I take your point but i would'nt like to see this in the game,using your squad is what football is about these days an asking people to get carded to miss games would make it more like Fifa IMO but it's just my opinion :D

You missed my point. I wasn't saying Terry got a card on purpose, I was merely pointing out that Chelsea didn't want him to be missing important games. The same reason why, this would be implemented :)

I agree with you though, Ched. It's something which SI will probably never implement.

digsy11
25-09-2008, 18:11
Thats basically what I'm asking for. I'm trying to get it out of the way to avoid the suspension being in an important match.

You missed my point. I wasn't saying Terry got a card on purpose, I was merely pointing out that Chelsea didn't want him to be missing important games. The same reason why, this would be implemented :)

I agree with you though, Ched. It's something which SI will probably never implement.

You miss my point too lol.The reason they appealed is because the ref got it wrong,if Terry would of been last man the ref would of been totally correct to send him off an Chelsea wouldn't have had any grounds to appeal.Lets face it any club would appeal a decision if they knew they would win it.For example i don't think Boro will be appealing the red card against United on tuesday, see my point? :thup:

GioGio85
25-09-2008, 18:14
I think adds liek this would be great, maybe even adding interaction asking players to dive or stir up certain players

Thing is with stuff liek thsi there needs to be a fine line with this as you dont wana make a mockery of the game, but as fsr as im concerned the more life like the players become the better.

Neji
25-09-2008, 18:27
You miss my point too lol.The reason they appealed is because the ref got it wrong,if Terry would of been last man the ref would of been totally correct to send him off an Chelsea wouldn't have had any grounds to appeal.Lets face it any club would appeal a decision if they knew they would win it.For example i don't think Boro will be appealing the red card against United on tuesday, see my point? :thup:

No, I got your point but what I'm trying to say is that they wanted Terry for the Man Utd match, like I want to make sure I have my best defenders. I was trying to point out that saying 'isn't this what the squad is for' isn't really a valid arguement. Sure that is what the squad is there for, but if you can avoid missing your best player from big matches - then you are going to do it :)

gonzález
25-09-2008, 19:24
I am sure it happens IRL, and the best way to do it would be to, in the last few minutes of a game, kick the ball away or argue with the ref until you got a yellow. Doesn't hurt anyone, and you get what you wanted.

digsy11
25-09-2008, 20:44
No, I got your point but what I'm trying to say is that they wanted Terry for the Man Utd match, like I want to make sure I have my best defenders. I was trying to point out that saying 'isn't this what the squad is for' isn't really a valid arguement. Sure that is what the squad is there for, but if you can avoid missing your best player from big matches - then you are going to do it :)

Then if it's such a problem utalise your squad an play the back up players untill the big games, that's what i do.How can you say it's not a valid argument then in the next line say that's what the squad is for??lol as i said it seems to me like an idea for Fifa manager not FM.I think in reality you have to deal with players being suspended for big games Ref; Michael Ballack missing the world and european cup final (for Levurkusen).

sirdez24
25-09-2008, 20:52
Best way to implement this would be to have it like media interaction, in that the personality/professionalism of the player would dictate how he responded to you asking him to do it.

Neji
25-09-2008, 21:28
Then if it's such a problem utalise your squad an play the back up players untill the big games

I'm not sure whats so hard to understand. I rest them for the next game which I think I can beat with my second team. So If I win, I stil have my top defenders for the big game. BUT If I win the big game and my defenders pick up a yellow, then they will miss the next big game ie the semi's.

The point is to get the players yellow card limit over and done with so you don't have to worry about it at all.

sirdez24
25-09-2008, 22:15
Exactly. You can rest him for the quarters, but if he picks up a yellow in the semi first leg he misses a potentially crucial second leg, and if he gets it in the second leg he misses the final.

Nilsson
25-09-2008, 22:18
I had a team-mate who was supposed to go on holiday for the next game and was one yellow card away from suspension, so our "manager" told him to get a yellow. So when there was about 5 minutes left he stood a meter from a free-kick, but the ref only said step away from there, but he just stood there and the ref and the opponents looked very surprised, and finally he got a yellow card. Very funny and absurd situation. I wonder what they thought lol

digsy11
26-09-2008, 00:53
I'm not sure whats so hard to understand. I rest them for the next game which I think I can beat with my second team. So If I win, I stil have my top defenders for the big game. BUT If I win the big game and my defenders pick up a yellow, then they will miss the next big game ie the semi's.

The point is to get the players yellow card limit over and done with so you don't have to worry about it at all.

I totally understand what you want, I'm trying to point out that in reality this very rarely happens at that level.I can think of only one instance when Beckham did it against Wales but then that was of his making.I think it's part of the challange when your players are suspended/injured for big games otherwise we would be getting them booked as an when it suits us an that,to me, becomes a farce.Should we ask players to dive for pens,goalkeepers to let in goals so club X will win an send club Y down? the greatest thing FM has over everyone else is it's ability to keep it as real as possible, lets not change it so much as it becomes just another manager sim with silly features.Rant over :D

sirdez24
26-09-2008, 01:04
How do you know it 'very rarely happens'? I'd be shocked if these sorts of things weren't planned. I remember Mourinho used to be notorious for supposedly telling his players at Chelsea when he wanted them to get booked.

Neji
26-09-2008, 01:05
the greatest thing FM has over everyone else is it's ability to keep it as real as possible, lets not change it so much as it becomes just another manager sim with silly features.Rant over :D

In regards to keeping it real. A quote from Didier Drogba's autobiography..

"Mourinho calculated everything. He looked at the match programme and analysed the cards each of his lads had received, He sometimes whispered to me: 'It would be good for you to get a yellow card today. You would miss such-and-such a match"

Also Eto'o apparently got a deliberate booking to dodge doing the guard of honour for Real Madrid. Obviously, these aren't proven but would you be surprised if it did happen?

I don't think it would be a gimmick at all. I see it as a real world tactic. I hate gimmicky features, I don't think this would be one.

Whoopy D
26-09-2008, 01:06
But this does happen and probably more regularly than we think, it's not a gimmick it's very possible.

I remember last season or the season before Fabregas coming on in the last 10 minutes against Wigan and within seconds getting booked so that he was suspended for the next game against a weaker opposition that he probably wouldn't have played in anyway and I also remember the commentator making a point of it happening.

Don't try and tell me that was solely Fabregas' decision, obviously Wenger said to him "off you go then, go and get that yellow card"

digsy11
26-09-2008, 01:11
In regards to keeping it real. A quote from Didier Drogba's autobiography..

Also Eto'o apparently got a deliberate booking to dodge doing the guard of honour for Real Madrid. Obviously, these aren't proven but would you be surprised if it did happen?

I take your point mate and i'm sure it happens but very very rarely as i ,and by the sounds of it you :D can't come up with numerous examples, certainly not enough to implement it in the game anyway.My brother played league1/league2 standard football for 8years an never did he hear of a manager asking a player to get booked :)

digsy11
26-09-2008, 01:17
I can also remember Ferguson bringing on Scholes against Juventus when he was on a yellow, i believe United was 3-2 up meaning Juve would have to score 2goals to win.We all know what happened to the ginger Legend that year! (Prays to the mecca of Paul Scholes)

Whoopy D
26-09-2008, 01:25
(Prays to the mecca of Paul Scholes)

I now respect your opinion a hundred times more :D

But I still think the asking players to pick up a yellow should, although it won't be in the game.

sirdez24
26-09-2008, 06:39
I think it could also be balanced out by the risk of a worse punishment; for example if you asked a player with really poor tackling or a high aggression stat, you run the danger of him getting a straight red.

Nelson84
26-09-2008, 07:46
Last time some guys asked players to get a YC in Belgium, it involved a few hundred thousands € and a corruption scandal :D

BeN82
26-09-2008, 13:39
Beckham was a real clown. I think he's really concerned about people really believing he is stupid. He gets a yellow card on purpose, then proceeds to announce to the world that he was smart to do it. If there was any feeling that he might be intelligent getting that yellow card, he promptly looked stupid again when he announced it to the world.

NCFC Gee
26-09-2008, 17:01
I see no reason why this shouldn't be possible, must happen in real life you would have thought.