I'll take British English...Thank you.

Galo

Well I've done it. I went ahead and pre-ordered FM 2009 off of Amazon.com. Can't wait!! Only one small problem.

I live in the USA.

Ok, so that is not a huge problem ;) Except that I have to purchase something called WORLDWIDE SOCCER manager instead of Football Manager.

I know it is the same game since last year I also purchased WWSM 2008. What I can't stand are the American "Soccer" terminologies used in these American versions. The first time I fired up WWSM 2008 it took me a few seconds before I found the fixtures...they are called matches. There are also other differences in words and terms but to sum it up: I'll take what I consider is REAL FOOTBALL lingo over soccer talk.

So is/will there be anyway to download an English English :) language patch to get my game back to more familiar territory? Thanks and can't wait for November!

So is/will there be anyway to download an English English :) language patch to get my game back to more familiar territory? Thanks and can't wait for November!

Doesn't that come with the game, though? I have WSM07 (never got 08 as I didn't find the demo too impressive) and I think I just changed the language to British English in the preferences/options screen. I definitely didn't download anything, and my fixtures aren't called matches, nor are the managers 'head couches', etc... :)

Well I've done it. I went ahead and pre-ordered FM 2009 off of Amazon.com. Can't wait!! Only one small problem.

I live in the USA.

Ok, so that is not a huge problem ;) Except that I have to purchase something called WORLDWIDE SOCCER manager instead of Football Manager.

I know it is the same game since last year I also purchased WWSM 2008. What I can't stand are the American "Soccer" terminologies used in these American versions. The first time I fired up WWSM 2008 it took me a few seconds before I found the fixtures...they are called matches. There are also other differences in words and terms but to sum it up: I'll take what I consider is REAL FOOTBALL lingo over soccer talk.

This could help but i aggree with the guy above http://www.thedugout.tv/community/showthread.php?t=39621&highlight=english+language+patch

Will Football Manager not run on an American computer? Because I preordered FM 2009 (the British iteration) on HMV.com and I live in the United States. Someone please let me know so I can cancel the preorder if necessary. Computers always leave me confused...

As far as I am aware it shouldn't make any difference at all.

Also to the OP, the word Soccer is an English term. Although not widely used here, it was invented in Britain to differentiate Football, from Rugby, also confusingly called football even though its played predominantly with the hands. Its even worse here in NZ where everyone insists on calling Rugby football, and football, football. I never know what the hell they are on about.

Will Football Manager not run on an American computer? Because I preordered FM 2009 (the British iteration) on HMV.com and I live in the United States. Someone please let me know so I can cancel the preorder if necessary. Computers always leave me confused...

Surely the game will not know whether the computer is an "American" computer or not mate, you should have no problems.

As far as I am aware it shouldn't make any difference at all.

Also to the OP, the word Soccer is an English term. Although not widely used here, it was invented in Britain to differentiate Football, from Rugby, also confusingly called football even though its played predominantly with the hands. Its even worse here in NZ where everyone insists on calling Rugby football, and football, football. I never know what the hell they are on about.

Yeah, I've had many a confusing conversation with Kiwi acquaintances who insist on calling everything football!

And you're right about the word 'soccer'. It is derived from football's full name - 'Association Football', which itself differentiates the game from 'Rugby Union Football', 'Rugby League Football' and so on.

And you're right about the word 'soccer'. It is derived from football's full name - 'Association Football',

It's nice to see someone else knows this. I tire of having to correct people who think the Americans invented the word soccer.

It's nice to see someone else knows this. I tire of having to correct people who think the Americans invented the word soccer.

It's not always that people think Americans invented it. Quite frankly, I don't believe that the majority of people who get all uppity about the word are all that concerned with its etymology. It's more that there's this sense in England that we invented the game itself (a debatable notion, in reality) and that therefore to hear Americans calling something else 'football' and referring to our sacred game as 'soccer' offends them.

Personally, I'm quite comfortable with the fact that the Americans and the Australians have developed their own games which they call 'football' and I really don't object to them calling the game I love 'soccer'. I don't care what they call it just so long as they enjoy it!

Mike, you got it spot on.

I think I might even get my the WWSM on purpose since I mostly only play MLS and the "US language" certainly makes it a bit more "realistic" :)

I kinda wanted to play with the US terminology when I had my brief stint in MLS on FM08. But then I figured that I don't pine for Russian language and cyrillic font when I manage Dinamo Moscow, so it didn't matter!

There won't be any problems with an "Europen" game on an "American Computer"

I've been getting the CM/FM Series since CM 01/02 From England to Canada and never had a problem with it.

But WWSM won't work with most of the unofficial updates from the community. SI releasaes the patches fo rboth versions, but for those who want to use 3rd party programs (FM Scout, Genie, FMM etc.) usually get shafted.

I'm not sure if the fanpacks of logos, kits and player pictures are involved in the crossover, someone else here may know. Other than that, the game is virtually identical, including loading "American" English on FM :)

But WWSM won't work with most of the unofficial updates from the community. SI releasaes the patches fo rboth versions, but for those who want to use 3rd party programs (FM Scout, Genie, FMM etc.) usually get shafted.

I'm not sure if the fanpacks of logos, kits and player pictures are involved in the crossover, someone else here may know. Other than that, the game is virtually identical, including loading "American" English on FM

WWSM will work fine with graphics, skins, and 3rd party tools (FMM and Genie)

Yeah, to clarify here, the differences are very slight. In the boxed version of WWSM

- You can select English (UK)

- You can connect multiplayer to a user running FM

- You can install facepacks, logos, kits, and skins designed for FM

- You can use most 3rd-party applications

The differences are:

- The rulebook is in English (US)

- The default language for the installer is English (US)

- The name of the application is different, which can break some 3rd-party applications that look for "fm.exe", most notably the in-memory editor.

- You need to download the WSM patches, not the FM patches

If you got the downloadable version of WWSM, instead of the boxed version, it only includes two languages, English (US) and Spanish, to minimize the download size. That's when you would need the "English (UK) language patch" to add English (UK) to the list of languages you can select.

If you ordered FM'09, you will also be fine.. though there are ways to detect the region currently set for a computer, FM doesn't include any kind of "prevent yourself from running in certain regions" code. So, carry on.

British English? What is it?

As far as I'm concerned, you speak correct English or you don't. No offense, but most American don't! American Englsih doesn't exist.

What a small-minded, Little Englander attitude. Languages change and evolve through time and from place to place. American English is real. British English is real. They are variations on one language. And before you start going on about it being 'our language', English is actually a truly international language. Not only is it spoken worldwide in many forms, but its origins include elements from outside the British Isles. As a Briton, I'm actually proud that my language has spread so widely and has proven so versatile.

sum u.s.a lingo

1. "Get a life.

2. "Why not?"

3. "Dream on"/"In your dreams."

4. "Get real."

5. "If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have had no luck at all."

6. "What's not to like?"

7. "Who needs it?"/"I don't need this."

8. "You're history."

9. "As if."

10. "F***ed up."

11. "Beggars can't be choosers........... Be thankful for anything you get free

*in best Valley-Girl voice*:

As if! Get real, we don't, like, rilly talk like that!

;)

I wish I remember the word I tripped over, but some perfectly-innocuous-in-American-idiom adjective I'd wanted to use in 'Blade got filtered as "offensive" ... apparently it had been subverted to some offensive meaning in British idiom. I was quite caught out! :D

Yes, Football Manager does work on any computer..of course! It is just that for us here in the U.S. purchasing FM from Europe means paying twice the price. And I have never had any trouble installing anything on my WWSM games including kits, facepacks, logos, graphics, etc...

And I am also aware that Americans didn't invent the word soccer. But we have to admit it has become a word associated with Americans. Call it dumb, but I personally have a problem with the word. Probably because I grew up in the U.S. and my parents are from Europe I always saw both sides of the coin growing up. In Europe I saw and experienced FOOTBALL. Then back home I would see Soccer...and have to endure the snickers from other Americans who consider soccer to be a girl's sport.

And all through the 80s and 90s soccer in the US was...how should I put this....less than stellar? The quality wasn't there, the passion missing, and the intensity gone. Players around here didn't start to become class until the late 90s and early 2000s. Even so, they have a long way to go before ever matching players from Brazil, Argentina, or anywhere in Europe. Over here it is still very much a children's and women's game. Oh well....

But in any case, I never noticed the English UK option in the game. I will definently go back in an check it out. Very nice!

Archived