Bolton vs. Villa Carling cup Semi 1s leg

Boltonsbarmyarmy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Bolton v Aston Villa

Simon Charlton could return for Bolton following a hamstring problem but fellow defender Emerson Thome is doubtful with a calf injury.

Jay-Jay Okocha is expected to captain the side after delaying his departure for the African Nations Cup, while Per Frandsen is suspended.

Aston Villa striker Darius Vassell and midfielder Gavin McCann expect to be fit after missing the loss at Arsenal.

The duo returned to training on Tuesday and will have late fitness tests.

Bolton (from): Jaaskelainen, Hunt, Barness, N'Gotty, Thome, Charlton, Giannakopoulos, Campo, Ba, Okocha, Nolan, Djorkaeff, Davies, Moreno, Pedersen, Poole, Facey, Livesey.

Villa (from): Sorensen, Delaney, Mellberg, Johnsen, Samuel, Hendrie, Hitzlsperger, Whittingham, Barry, Allback, Angel, McCann, Vassell, Postma, De la Cruz, Ridgewell, Crouch.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

one of the biggest matches so far this season for us \o/ really looking foward to it. Hard to say which way it will go. Good to see Okocha is avaiable. Not been at his best recently, hopefully he'll turn it on tonight. Another defensive injury in Thome is a bit of a downer, but Barny did a decent job at left back on Saturday and Charlton can come in at centre half.

I want to go to Cardiff again icon_biggrin.gif COME ON BOLTON!!! icon_mad.gif

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Bolton v Aston Villa

Simon Charlton could return for Bolton following a hamstring problem but fellow defender Emerson Thome is doubtful with a calf injury.

Jay-Jay Okocha is expected to captain the side after delaying his departure for the African Nations Cup, while Per Frandsen is suspended.

Aston Villa striker Darius Vassell and midfielder Gavin McCann expect to be fit after missing the loss at Arsenal.

The duo returned to training on Tuesday and will have late fitness tests.

Bolton (from): Jaaskelainen, Hunt, Barness, N'Gotty, Thome, Charlton, Giannakopoulos, Campo, Ba, Okocha, Nolan, Djorkaeff, Davies, Moreno, Pedersen, Poole, Facey, Livesey.

Villa (from): Sorensen, Delaney, Mellberg, Johnsen, Samuel, Hendrie, Hitzlsperger, Whittingham, Barry, Allback, Angel, McCann, Vassell, Postma, De la Cruz, Ridgewell, Crouch.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

one of the biggest matches so far this season for us \o/ really looking foward to it. Hard to say which way it will go. Good to see Okocha is avaiable. Not been at his best recently, hopefully he'll turn it on tonight. Another defensive injury in Thome is a bit of a downer, but Barny did a decent job at left back on Saturday and Charlton can come in at centre half.

I want to go to Cardiff again icon_biggrin.gif COME ON BOLTON!!! icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Gaffer Eyes Carling Bonus

David O’Leary has made no secret of his No1 aim this season – 40 points and Premiership safety – but the Villa boss now aims to give fans an added bonus with Carling Cup glory.

And he believes tonight’s semi-final trip to Bolton is Villa’s reward for taking the competition seriously from the second round trip to Wycombe onwards.

O’Leary’s men did a professional job at Adams Park, securing a 5-0 win. They have since seen off Leicester, Crystal Palace and Chelsea.

The Villa boss commented: "It was an excellent performance down there. I said to them to look at it as six games to the final, so let's go out with the right attitude.

“If we get to the final, I said, we can look back at Wycombe and remember, and I hope we can do that at Cardiff, that this all started at Wycombe.

"But whether the players believed it in their hearts that they could get this far, probably not as it was coming from me!

"It's only six games, but it's a long six games. But I just told them to make sure after every game that they were in the hat for the next round.

“And we did that for every single game. If we played well, great, and in general we have played well in this competition.â€

O’Leary continued: "A couple of months ago I'd definitely not have expected to be talking about a semi-final, end of story.

“This season has always been trying to sort the club out, trying to do a lot of pruning and reducing and trying to get people in. Although we've not been able to do that.

"The be-all and end-all is still achieving those magic 40-plus points as quick as we can, that's what this season is about.

"But we can give the fans the joy of being in a final at Cardiff, and I'm all for that...lifting people and getting them smiling at this club again. And for the staff who work at this place, it would be an added bonus.

"You can see that the place is already been lifted by the cup run. The players are giving their all on the pitch. We can't ask much more of them.

“They are a tight unit, but they're giving everything they have and if it's not good enough, it's not good enough. They can't do any more than they've been doing for me. And I'm grateful for it.â€

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

COME ON VILLA! We beat you boys in the FA Cup Semi and we'll do it again, regardless of Dean Holdsworth playing.

JPA will wipte the floor with you icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JoeWesthead:

COME ON VILLA! We beat you boys in the FA Cup Semi and we'll do it again, regardless of Dean Holdsworth playing.

JPA will wipte the floor with you icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You would have to bring that up wouldn't you icon_biggrin.gificon_mad.gif I can always remember watching the match back on video the next day and the line 'a sitter, an absoulte sitter' icon_frown.gif Deano was icon_cool.gif tho.

I'm worried about JPA, but we've kept RvN, Henry etc under wraps for the best parts of games so I live in hope. icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Boltonsbarmyarmy:

say Arsenal do get to the final, and Bolton/Villa end up playing them. Arsenal win, but get a European place anyway via the league, meaning Bolton/Villa get a place in the UEFA cup despite losing...does it work like that?

lose but in Europe \o/ win and you get into europe AND win the cup \o/

win, win situation icon_wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pretty sure it doesn't work like that, and that the UEFA place in fact reverts to the league. Unlike with the FA Cup.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by silver_blue:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Boltonsbarmyarmy:

say Arsenal do get to the final, and Bolton/Villa end up playing them. Arsenal win, but get a European place anyway via the league, meaning Bolton/Villa get a place in the UEFA cup despite losing...does it work like that?

lose but in Europe \o/ win and you get into europe AND win the cup \o/

win, win situation icon_wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pretty sure it doesn't work like that, and that the UEFA place in fact reverts to the league. Unlike with the FA Cup.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

/o\

I'd rather play Boro then icon_wink.gif

(*if* we get there 1st icon_biggrin.gif)

COME ONE BOLTON FFS! icon_mad.gif

I'm psyched up, we really have to win this game because I can't really see us going to Villa Park and winning (and Villa's away form is poor to say the least). icon_wink.gif Then there's the not-so-small matter of the FA Cup Semi Final 4 years ago /o\ - the less said about that, the better. icon_frown.gif

But Okocha's playing his last Bolton game for a while, so hopefully he'll want to go out with a win and so give us the advantage going into the away leg. icon_smile.gif

I can't wait. icon_cool.gif

COME ONE BOLTON FFS! icon_mad.gif

I'm psyched up, we really have to win this game because I can't really see us going to Villa Park and winning (and Villa's away form is poor to say the least). icon_wink.gif Then there's the not-so-small matter of the FA Cup Semi Final 4 years ago /o\ - the less said about that, the better. icon_frown.gif

But Okocha's playing his last Bolton game for a while, so hopefully he'll want to go out with a win and so give us the advantage going into the away leg. icon_smile.gif

I can't wait. icon_cool.gif

Another tight one here again. Against Arsenal in 96 it took extra time and away goals, and in 94 against Tranmere - well you all know that icon_cool.gif SHAUN TEALE IFB icon_wink.gif Oh and penalties then. I think this one could be decided on the dreaded PK's again.

I think both ties will end up being draws, 1-1 or 2-2. This is too tough to call.

Okocha needs to perform if we're looking to take a lead to Villa Park. If he doesn't I fear us not getting the desired win and he's been poor since the Arsenal game (as have most of the team in truth).

Anyway a final would be a good reward for the amazing job done so far by Allardyce and the majority of our players this season so here's hoping.

COME ONE WHITES! icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by displaced_seagull:

Bolton 3 - Villa 0 (Stelios)

16 minutes in.

Oops icon_redface.gificon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

thats a goal every 5 mins roughly, looks like villa could be on recieving end of a hiding at this rate

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TM:

Bolton are almost scoring at will here, Villa are gonna have to wake up soon or they are gonna be finished before the 2nd leg icon_redface.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

3-1, what a cracking game, 4 goals in under 20 mins

great game for neutrals

Archived