Retired numbers

I did a quick search and couldn't find anything about this.

In real life teams (and some nations IIRC) have retired player numbers out of respect for a deceased player or a legend.

Could FM impliment this? The numbers could be displayed on the info screen.

I don't think nations are allowed to; purely because when they submit squad numbers for major tournaments I'm pretty sure that they have to use the numbers 1-23.

In terms of clubs, I assume you mean that you want the AI to do it? As obviously it's easy for a player-controlled team to do it: just don't use that squad number. The danger with getting the AI to do it is getting the balance right. It happens rarely in real life, and we wouldn't want numbers to start disappearing all of the time.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retired_numbers_in_association_football for a list (probably not complete) of retired numbers.

When I first read this, I thought "stupid idea".

But actually it could be worked into the game quite well, not just for the AI.

For example, if you are at Milan, and you give away the number 3 shirt to someone the fans deem "not worthy", then you might face a backlash? And maybe after a number of years service, some players could be rewarded with a retired number as recognition of their status, or you could retire their shirt number? Again, this could affect your standing with the fans.

Thoughts? :)

In terms of clubs, I assume you mean that you want the AI to do it? As obviously it's easy for a player-controlled team to do it: just don't use that squad number.

Yeah, but the only person in the game who knows why you're never handing that number out is you. There's nothing official about it. It'd still be better to be able to actually declare the number retired.

Tomtuck I did search, why would I lie about something so pointless?

My mistake was that I thought the results were ordered by relevance, not date -- so I looked at the first 10 or so and thought it hadn't been brought up. Just noticed one at the bottom of the results page though, apologies.

Anyway, what I meant was not for the AI to discontinue any NEW squad numbers (although this is an interesting idea), but for any EXISTING rules in real life to be adhered to. Foé at West Ham for example. They could be listed on the info page like rivalries are.

There have been a number of threads (though the search function here isn't the best).

Here's one about shirt numbers in general: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=33481&highlight=Squad+Numbers

Here's one about retiring shirt numbers: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=10618&highlight=Squad+Numbers

There was a long one about this very issue (and I posted in that one) but I can't find it now so it's probably long since gone in the purge. But yeah, I agree with your suggestions.

;1697500']I don't remember what club exactly' date=' but I'm sure that I've read some clubs did retired some numbers as a sign of respect for the player who played at the club wearing that number.[/quote']

No one's questioning that. We're talking about in the game.

I have nothing against the idea, but it should be a low priority. Also of note, in Spain (and quite possibly many other countries) the numbers 1-25 must be used, Antonio Puerta's number 16 shirt is being used after a temporary retirement, whilst in international competition (well at least the world cup), the numbers 1-23 also have to be used. That alone makes me wonder if it would work or be worth the hassle.

Whilst I agree it should be in there in some form, I don't think it's something the manager would necessarily decide on - more something for the game to do "as the board". :thup:

I agree to a certain extent but sometimes you have to sacrifice a little bit of realism for some features. IMO, this is the type of feature that we as managers should beable to control.

Archived