Too many visuals

Thanks for the suggestion, but this happens every time i play the game, whether i have anything else running or not. As i said, it is a brand new laptop, and so hardly has any programs installed other than the ones it came with, and Football Manager ( which is what i bought it for! ) so as you can imagine it is rather annoying! Any other suggestions?

The laptop has 1gb memory, so i dont think this is the problem. "Too many visuals" is the exact wording of the error message. I have already tried the formula Google X :) ; i found another entry on this forum regarding same problem and the reply suggested downloading new patch, which i have done still to no avail.

Yes it does, you will need at least 2gb to run anything without affecting performance. The system alone will struggle with 1 gb.

Whilst I would normally agree that 1GB isnt enough, a friend of mine managed ok with 1GB, running FM and even managing to play Command and Conquer Generals on it.

My laptops both have 2GB tho so I have no first-hand experience, but you can pick up a 1GB stick for around £15, the friend I mentioned above did this with his. :D

Too many visuals is an FM error, not an OS error, i saw it once when I installed a skin that wasn't set up properly.

Are you using a third party skin?

This is why I ask as well. I've never heard of such an error on any hardware whatsoever. So it sounds like the software.

FM sounds like it can't process some display request. So get rid of any graphics you just installed and you should be o.k.

I am trying to run Football Manager 08 on my new laptop, which has Windows Vista. It regularly comes up with an FM warning, saying too many visuals, on which i have to click ok many times before i can resume playing the game. Does anyone know how to stop this from happening? Thanks.

Yes. Uninstall Vista.

Personally, I'd go with the "poke around and try different Vista settings" approach. For example, turn off transparency, animations, etc, and see if that helps. My Vista laptop also had a "performance" setting, e.g., "optimize for battery life" vs "optimize for visual performance" and my FM experience was much better on the latter. (Though remember to revert to the former for long flights!) You might also look at virtual memory allocated / used; if you're running right up against the limit there, that might be the problem.

Second thing to check is, does your graphics card have a driver update that you need to download and install?

Obviously, some FM settings might help as well, turning off faces, etc. You'll definitely want to remove any add-ons you may have downloaded (team kits, logos, etc). You might also want to force a re-load of the default skin (you can force a reload from one of the Settings menus).

If all that failed, I'd try the uninstall / reinstall / reinstall patch route.

If you do find a solution, please post the answer in this thread so that the next poor sod who stumbles across it is able to solve it, too! ;)

Archived