How many of you play the game at work?

How many of you play FM at work?  

257 members have voted

1. 1. How many of you play FM at work?

• I do
    • I don't

Always, on my laptop, how else could I survive the boredom of transatlantic flights? My co-pilots usually do, too.

haha i really do hope thats true, as long as i'm not on that flight anyway..

as for me i used to play it when i was on nights but not actually working at the moment so i guess i can't say i do :(

My departmental boss (also my dad) sits literally next to me. And the overall boss sits in my office. I have NO chance of ever playing the game at work! Moving to this desk is the reason why I don't post here as frequently as I was doing.

Yeah, these forums are what gets me through the day and i'm on here more than I play the game recently. I don't think i'd get caught playing it though, I think they would notice the size of the game when they back up the server each night. I hate everyone who can and do play it at work.

Our internet usage is monitored at work. I have no idea why I haven't been called up on it yet.

Same here, when I first started I was limited to 5 hrs a week online, luckily I update the websites for my section of Council so I had to ask them to give me more than 5 hrs, foolishly they gave me unlimited access :D . We also changed web filter provider recently and this site was blocked, but they let me have access to it because "I come on at lunch time" ;) .

That's an intriguing idea - how much data can a memory stick store?

i have a 2GB one I got for crimbo a few years back, but my current game, on a medium database with 3 leagues in 2014 is only 133,000-odd KB (basically 133MB), so pretty much all games should fit on most sticks. i don't know whether the game lets you run from a memory stick though, i'm just trying to make sure your employers get the least out of their workers :D

I don't because I'm a uni student, and I'm happy fulfill my duty as a stereotypical student and laze around playing games all day

As a side note for all of you at work. Rather than installing it on your work computer, it might be an idea to get a small external drive with FM installed on, then hook it up to the USB on your computer and play away

I have a 200GB external drive so that could work. Forgive my ignorance, but I don't know much about computers, would they not be able to tell it was running even if it was running from an external drive?

The only evidence of you playing it will be that it will add information in to the registry. But if you have access to regedit you can easily delete the FM folder after you finish

Forgive my ignorance, but I don't know much about computers
The only evidence of you playing it will be that it will add information in to the registry. But if you have access to regedit you can easily delete the FM folder after you finish

Sorry but registry and regedt mean nothing to me :confused:

I wish i could but can't. Working for Sky they are always checking and blocking anything and everything we do on our computers as well as what sites you can go onto all the time, it's damn annoying. Can only visit about three websites from our systems while the managers can go onto any website.

I do not any longer however no limits on the internet. I used to have a cm00-01 game running, no fear of the backups as I'm backupd on a mobile external hard drive (linked to the workstation for my laptop). As the admin on site plays doom3 regularly on his pc here, I'm not sure he would "see" anything...

I have a 200GB external drive so that could work. Forgive my ignorance, but I don't know much about computers, would they not be able to tell it was running even if it was running from an external drive?

I'm not that computer savvy either, but the issue at my work is that the hard drives are backed up most evenings, which would include any FM games I played. If I had access to an external hard drive, though, my unerstanding is I could run the game off this and save to it, thus avoiding it showing up when the system is backed up...

IT wouldn't check me if I did play at work...because I work for IT!!

HeHe Me too :)

I'm constantly on the forums at work - well, usually. When the posts aren't all "when's the demo coming out," "FM08 cheats" and "Will FM09 work on my computer?" anyway.

Well Said.

I just take my laptop to work and i play FM at lunchtimes :) i dont know what i would do for the hour if i didnt have it! Also when my manager is ill or on holiday it means i dont have to worry as much - i extend my lunch :D.

I can't wait till i'm the IT manager of a company... then i can sit there in my office with FM on my laptop while doin random tasks on my other machine and keeping an eye on the servers!!! It will be bliss! Dno when that'll ever happen hehe! :)

I'm not that computer savvy either, but the issue at my work is that the hard drives are backed up most evenings, which would include any FM games I played. If I had access to an external hard drive, though, my unerstanding is I could run the game off this and save to it, thus avoiding it showing up when the system is backed up...

That's waht I thought, but the possibility of it showing up in "registry" sounds like a problem.

That's waht I thought, but the possibility of it showing up in "registry" sounds like a problem.

i really doubt they'll check your registry tbh. Its rather pointless and time consuming! We never check the registry on our computers.

This would probably mainly be because i would doubt they would think to themselves "hmm maybe someone might try to play a game but they won't risk it being detected on the backups we do so they'll get a external hard-drive and play it... But hahahaha they didn't realise that we're gna check every registry on every computer in the system to catch anybody out!" lol

The only thing that might stop you is if they restrict your permission to install programs or to even install hardware such as an external hard-drive

That didn't occur to me - do you know what sort of things show up in "registry" ? I'm afraid it's not something I'm at all familiar with. TBH though, I'm starting to think our IT guy gets all his knowledge from google so I doubt it would be checked!

i really doubt they'll check your registry tbh. Its rather pointless and time consuming! We never check the registry on our computers.

This would probably mainly be because i would doubt they would think to themselves "hmm maybe someone might try to play a game but they won't risk it being detected on the backups we do so they'll get a external hard-drive and play it... But hahahaha they didn't realise that we're gna check every registry on every computer in the system to catch anybody out!" lol

The only thing that might stop you is if they restrict your permission to install programs or to even install hardware such as an external hard-drive

LOL - I really don't think our one man IT department is that devious! The installation of any programs needed for installing an internal hard drive may be an issue though. We have pretty limited space on our servers so any new addition may be investigated.. Hmmm... I AM going to get round this issue...

Well according to PGB Spurs it probably won't get checked, so maybe we shouldn't worry about it and if it goes wrong we can blame him :D Thank you to whoever first came up with the portable hard drive idea, i'm in my section on my own for two weeks over christmas so now i'll have something to do, other than have a look through other employees drawers.

Well according to PGB Spurs it probably won't get checked, so maybe we shouldn't worry about it and if it goes wrong we can blame him :D Thank you to whoever first came up with the portable hard drive idea, i'm in my section on my own for two weeks over christmas so now i'll have something to do, other than have a look through other employees drawers.

Most people do.. it tends to be the trend when your in IT.

I've never tried, but I'm sure someone out of the dozen or so in the office would notice...

And I work in the IT department, but without my own office :(

Its not my own office the manager and me sit in here with the servers lol we have air con on pretty cold its really quite cold and noisy lol.

Since the FM09 News release the only way i can stop thinking about playing it is constantly being on here and readin about it. (kinda weird huh) im pretty sure if i wasn't on this i'd kinda be rockin in my chair thinkin NEED FOOTBALL MANAGER! :D lol.

i used to play it at work....with my feet!!!!!! my desk is right against the wall, so no one walks behind my desk and i can see everyone...so i just put my laptop on the floor...take my shoes off and a way i go!!!!! unfortunatly ive not had much success as it is very difficult to know wots going on during the match so i tend to let my assistant do all the work. i play the full match on the slowest possible speed, i do bout 15 mins work have a look down for halftime or full time and just click on the assistant manager bit!!!!!! i stopped doing it as i kept getting sacked......by my chairman not my real boss!!!!! im addicted to it!!!!!

To all those worried about it being spotted in backups by IT folks. If your company is large enough to do these kind of sweeping backups then I hope the IT department were smart enough to filter whats copied i.e. no need to back up Program Files because they would have all the disks required to reinstall apps on a PC being rebuilt.

Also almost all backup programs ignore the c:\temp folder and any folder called nobackup.

As to the size of FM being whats noticed, do a quick check of the disk space used on your PC and you'll find as a percentage of the total FM would be very small.

Or if a save game is likely to be noticed just rename it as something that could be a large file thats legit e.g. Outlook-backup.pst which most would assume is just a backup of your Outlook mail file (assuming you use Outlook).

If you really want to play FM you'll find a way. ;)

Archived