I've just realised, FM is going 3D

Can I just say, first of all, that I was one of the people who has been waiting for FM to offer something more than the current 2D match engine for years. In fact, without some sort of graphical representation of the match, personally, I would not play the game. So when the 3D was announced I was surprised but extremely pleased to hear it.

My problem with football games like Fifa and pro evo is that, although they are meant to be enjoyable of course, Football can be quite a boring old game at times. Also it can be quite a slow game, if the team chooses to play this way, and I don't think this is always represented in these 3D football sims. Defenders won't always get closed down when bringing the ball out from the back for the fall 90 minutes. Teams can play an extremely negative style and try to see out a game by knocking the ball about at the back if they choose. And so on. The point is the 2d match has always seemed to get the pace and feel of real football pretty much perfect. Will this work with 3D?

I wouldn't call it a problem as such. Not every football game has to be as realistic as possible. There are times when I'd still fire up good ol' Sensible Soccer for instance. But FM's match engine makes PES look like Nintendo World Cup - nothing against any of these games at all, mind you.

I wouldn't call it a problem as such. Not every football game has to be as realistic as possible. There are times when I'd still fire up good ol' Sensible Soccer for instance. But FM's match engine makes PES look like Nintendo World Cup - nothing against any of these games at all, mind you.

Yeah, like I said Fifa and PES are meant to be enjoyable, first and foremost. Not to sound geeky or whatever but although, football manager is a COMPUTER game, it strives to be as realsitic as possible, as do most sports games these days. Not saying I want to play dull , boring football, being an Arsenal fan I love to attack with sweeping, positive, forward passing intent but football isn't like that all the time. Its slow, Its long balls, its backward passing, its unpressurised, sitting back and holding shape tactics. Its all these things at times and all these things have to be possible in the game. Do you play Arsenal and man U style or do you play Allardyce style Bolton or Mourinho style Chelsea?

Are the players going to look anything like the real-life players?

Thankfully not. It's unnecessary to add that sort of detail really. Look at Fifa manager, all flash and no substance

By keeping the players simple, it allows them to focus more on the animations which is the most important thing. Correct skin/hair/kit colour will be there, which is all that's needed imo

It really doesn't matter about the up close detail. Also stuff like close up replays, shots of the crowd and all that sort of stuff isn't important for a manager game. As long as it plays out a smooth game. The thing is, it is 3D now so player turn and movement animations are inevitably going to play a part in how smooth the game runs. 2D never had to worry about this because the finer details weren't there.

• 1 month later...

So just to clarify, the 3D will play exactly the same as the 2D, just in 3D.

I hope the pace of the game is right. No 3D football game has ever got the pace right.

The 2D was pretty good though. Although when the highlight speed slider was set to the middle, which I assume would be normal speed, it was always too slow. Anyone else find this?

Can I just say, first of all, that I was one of the people who has been waiting for FM to offer something more than the current 2D match engine for years. In fact, without some sort of graphical representation of the match, personally, I would not play the game. So when the 3D was announced I was surprised but extremely pleased to hear it.

My problem with football games like Fifa and pro evo is that, although they are meant to be enjoyable of course, Football can be quite a boring old game at times. Also it can be quite a slow game, if the team chooses to play this way, and I don't think this is always represented in these 3D football sims. Defenders won't always get closed down when bringing the ball out from the back for the fall 90 minutes. Teams can play an extremely negative style and try to see out a game by knocking the ball about at the back if they choose. And so on. The point is the 2d match has always seemed to get the pace and feel of real football pretty much perfect. Will this work with 3D?

Quite right, if the FM09 3d match engine sometimes enables realistic representations of dull war of atrition games then that will be realistic and you know what, I reckon we will love it!

I hope it is boring to watch sometimes.

If that's what it's like in real life then that's what it should be like in FM09.

I can't wait til the bloody game is released.

The anticipation is killing me, and all these threads aren't helping matters. :D

• SI Staff

The match engine hasnt been rewritten for 09. We took 8.0.2 into FML Beta, tuned it from feedback in there and then took it a stage further for 09. The only really new code is the ball physics model, which was required to make 3d credible.

And yes, there are lots of boring passages of play in our 3d. We simulate near real time match length whereas most other 3d sims tend to be 5/10 minute each way attackfests.

The match engine hasnt been rewritten for 09. We took 8.0.2 into FML Beta, tuned it from feedback in there and then took it a stage further for 09. The only really new code is the ball physics model, which was required to make 3d credible.

And yes, there are lots of boring passages of play in our 3d. We simulate near real time match length whereas most other 3d sims tend to be 5/10 minute each way attackfests.

Damned right too. :thup:

And that's why you are at the top of the football tree in my opinion. No pandering to the quick thrill masses. Solid simulation of football warts and all.

I think its fair to say that you guys have always got the realism in the matches near spot on.

Like I said, personally I want to play attacking football and score loads of goals but this isn't always the case. If some people want to grind out results, hit long balls, keep clean sheets and try to nick a goal, this has to be possible as well.

Yes hello,

I have not played demo yet but I was told you have to watch the full 90 minutes? is this true? and if it is can i change it?

Please Reply

Archived