Awards question

On FM07, one thing that always annoyed me was that the Players' Player and Writers' Player awards in Englandand Scotland were never won by the same person in the same year. In fact, the top 3 were always completely different. In real life these two awards are often won by the same person.

Did this change in FM08? If some of you guys could look for me I'd really appreciate it.

In the 35 years of the PFA Player of the year the same player winning the Player of the Year has occured 14 times.

So under half, however, 8 of the last 11 have been the same. So it does tend to go more in that direction these days.

In conclusion...I agree :) Though could this be coded? Is it all or nothing? Would it mean there would have to be a random element invloved to allow for it to happen some years and not others?

Thanks davestu, but what I was looking for was for someone to look at their saved game and tell me how it works in FM08.

If this is what you want, well here are the winners of the Player's Player of the Year and the Footballer of the Year awards for the Premier League from 2007-2014 in my current save.

Player's Player of the year:

[season: 1st, 2nd, 3rd]

07-08: Xabi Alonso, Fabregas, Trezeguet

08-09: Danielle Cacia, Essien, Robbie Keane

09-10: Danielle Cacia, Robinho, Quagliarella

10-11: Downing, Ribery, Torres

11-12: Rooney, Raul Garcia, Messi

12-13: Bianchi, James Vaughan, Artem Milevskiy

13-14: Walcott, Agbonlahor, Messi

Footballer of the Year:

07-08: Rooney, Adebayor, C. Ronaldo

08-09: Rooney, Adebayor, Drogba

09-10: Bianchi, Rooney, Raul Garcia

10-11: Bendtner, Raul Garcia, Joe Cole

11-12: Robinho, Rossi, Downing

12-13: Aguero, Downing, Agbonlahor

13-14: Aguero, Downing, Carlos Vela

I can get the Scottish ones as well if you want.

The thing that annoyed me was you got the same rep increase for getting goal of the month in the english premier as you did for winning the scottish player of the year - 18 if I remember correctly from looking at the editor

But the Scottish league is watched by what, a couple dozen people who support Celtic and Rangers? Compare that with the millions who watch EPL each weekend and it makes sense

But the Scottish league is watched by what, a couple dozen people who support Celtic and Rangers? Compare that with the millions who watch EPL each weekend and it makes sense

oooh, get you and your sarcasm. how many people went to lisbon for that celtic uefa cup final? and how many rangers fans tore up manchester earlier this year?

I always find that whoever they tip to be the winner for an award in the news never actually gets it its the other contenders lol. I do think its weird sometimes when the awards don't match up, e.g footballer of the year and world footballer of the year... surely if your world footballer of the year then you should be footballer of the year too? Or am i missing something?

I always find that whoever they tip to be the winner for an award in the news never actually gets it its the other contenders lol. I do think its weird sometimes when the awards don't match up, e.g footballer of the year and world footballer of the year... surely if your world footballer of the year then you should be footballer of the year too? Or am i missing something?

One of them is voted by FIFA and one is voted for by readers of a French magazine.

But yes, they should sometimes be the same. To ALWAYS be different is totally unrealistic.

I never pay attention to the awards really. I see it as more cosmetic than important, so no, I'd rather the 3D engine is done properly and other areas are improved upon.

I'd like to see other areas improved too but it's a shame if something as simple to fix as this is left buggy again in FM09. Ruins the game for me.

I'd like to see other areas improved too but it's a shame if something as simple to fix as this is left buggy again in FM09. Ruins the game for me.

Well, in all honesty, do you think this has been reported in the bugs forum?

If not, then SI probably imagine that nothing is wrong with it, like me. Report it in the bugs forum and it may get fixed :thup:

One of them is voted by FIFA and one is voted for by readers of a French magazine.

But yes, they should sometimes be the same. To ALWAYS be different is totally unrealistic.

He means the Player's Player of the Year or the Writer's Player of the Year, not the Ballon d'Or (or whatever it's meant to be called)

I would also add that the guys winning these awards IRL are usually the most coveted players, but in FM when a player wins an award it doesn't change their valuation, you don't see a host of clubs being interested in them etc, players who get the golden boot in the World cup or European Cup should have a lot of interest and their valuation should sky rocket imo, but I've mentioned elsewhere that the AI seems to ignore form and just looks at the CA and PA, perhaps Reputation is figured in too, but I agree with you it ruins the illusion of reality

I would also add that the guys winning these awards IRL are usually the most coveted players, but in FM when a player wins an award it doesn't change their valuation, you don't see a host of clubs being interested in them etc, players who get the golden boot in the World cup or European Cup should have a lot of interest and their valuation should sky rocket imo, but I've mentioned elsewhere that the AI seems to ignore form and just looks at the CA and PA, perhaps Reputation is figured in too, but I agree with you it ruins the illusion of reality

IIRC reputation means a lot more to an AI manager than CA (and possibly PA).

Right guys, I'm trying an experiemt.

I've edited the Footballer of the Year Award (and Football Writers' Award in Scotland) with the official editor so that it is based on who gets the most MoMs in the season.

Therefore now, the Players' Player award will still be a player vote, but the Footballer award will be based on something more concrete than just the media picking three "also-rans" (as they are always different to the players' player top three).

I've left a holiday game running while I'm at work so I'll let you know how it pans out. Hopefully it will lead to more realistic awards in England (and Scotland).

Archived