The new Celtic Cup

It'll be entertaining no doubt, and I don't mean to belittle or ridicule the other home nations and Ireland, but it is basically just because Scotland, Eire, N. Ireland and Wales have little to no chance of qualifying for never mind winning a major tournament.

I know that seems rich coming from an Englishmen given our recent blip, but we have a good chance of winning the next World Cup and European Championship as it is, and the other British teams don't.

I'd like to see an England B team in this kind of tournament but I can't see the other nations agreeing to that.

It'll be entertaining no doubt, and I don't mean to belittle or ridicule the other home nations and Ireland, but it is basically just because Scotland, Eire, N. Ireland and Wales have little to no chance of qualifying for never mind winning a major tournament.

I know that seems rich coming from an Englishmen given our recent blip, but we have a good chance of winning the next World Cup and European Championship as it is, and the other British teams don't.

I'd like to see an England B team in this kind of tournament but I can't see the other nations agreeing to that.

Wow! Arrogance knows no bounds.

You are correct, that is rich. I believe your boys sat at home just like the rest of the home nations this summer??!!

I don't doubt they are probably the best team within the UK and Eire at the minute, however, Scotland had a stronger qualifying campaign that them last time out. During the period M. Hughes was in charge of Wales, if the world rankings had been reset they would have sat at no. 3. England sure showed N. Ireland last couple of times they played....

England B team...that's the most disrespectful thing I have heard anyone say in a long time.

The English have been saying that for 42 years now, which coincidentally is exactly how long this "recent blip" has lasted :p Maybe it should also be brought to your attention that since the "glory days" of 1966 there have been 21 world cups and european championships and England have failed to qualify for a third of them, so the team really is not as wonderful as the media and some fans would like to make out. I've said several times in the past and I stand by the opinion that England have a lot of good individual players, but they fail to gel together as a team and it is for that very reason that I would never be willing to put money on England winning an international tournament.

I, too, would love to see the Celtic Cup being added.

With regards to the discussion about England's omission and their hypothetical potential progression in said tournament: England would not have had an easy match in any of the games, not because "everyone wants to play against England and therefore tries harder" It's not a case of that, at all, it's just that we all play the same type of game, and it would just make it more cut-and-thrust than if more technical based teams were playing.

Well know that football isn't logical. The best and the mighty don't always prevail over the weak and the shrivelled. Not that I'm calling England "best" or "mighty"

Wow! Arrogance knows no bounds.

You are correct, that is rich. I believe your boys sat at home just like the rest of the home nations this summer??!!

I don't doubt they are probably the best team within the UK and Eire at the minute, however, Scotland had a stronger qualifying campaign that them last time out. During the period M. Hughes was in charge of Wales, if the world rankings had been reset they would have sat at no. 3. England sure showed N. Ireland last couple of times they played....

England B team...that's the most disrespectful thing I have heard anyone say in a long time.

Probably the stongest team idavidually. However over recent years i believe Northern Ireland and Scotland would also be a force to play(well before Burley came in) both team have been punching well above their weight. Scotland beating France home and away only missing out on a Euro place because of a free kick that should never have been. Northern Irelnad though even comming from a Scotsman bloody hell their doing well.

The English have been saying that for 42 years now, which coincidentally is exactly how long this "recent blip" has lasted :p Maybe it should also be brought to your attention that since the "glory days" of 1966 there have been 21 world cups and european championships and England have failed to qualify for a third of them, so the team really is not as wonderful as the media and some fans would like to make out. I've said several times in the past and I stand by the opinion that England have a lot of good individual players, but they fail to gel together as a team and it is for that very reason that I would never be willing to put money on England winning an international tournament.

Couldnt agree more.

Also on another note, im all for this but as a Rangers fan being called the Celtic cup puts me off hugeley. I know its pronounced differntly before anyone has a go, but still its spelt the same and watching it would almost kill me if we won a Celtic cup. Couldnt they have called it a British Cup or somthing, somthing that avoids the same spelling as a club such as Celtic for the simple fact many Rangers fans will hate the name.

Also on a note to the guy who said an England B team, Scotland beat France home and Away yet in a friendly France hammered the England side, by rights that means Scotland should be better than England. Ok Player on Player England are better but still.

Also on another note, im all for this but as a Rangers fan being called the Celtic cup puts me off hugeley. I know its pronounced differntly before anyone has a go, but still its spelt the same and watching it would almost kill me if we won a Celtic cup. Couldnt they have called it a British Cup or somthing, somthing that avoids the same spelling as a club such as Celtic for the simple fact many Rangers fans will hate the name.

Also on a note to the guy who said an England B team, Scotland beat France home and Away yet in a friendly France hammered the England side, by rights that means Scotland should be better than England. Ok Player on Player England are better but still.

The word "Celtic" preceded football.

As a Scot who has as much contempt for Rangers as I do for Celtic, I pretty much like the name "The Celtic Cup" - The majority of the world thinks of "Britain" as just another name for "England" so I really don't think it would go down with Scots, or our Celtic cousins if we played under the flag of "Britain".

I don't much like being "British" so I'm certainly not going to bask participating in a tournament that goes under the name of "The British Cup" - Plus the Republic of Ireland are included, so that puts the "British" thing to bed.

Ha ha, good one.

Are you now world beaters again after beating Croatia 4-1? Look at the age of your team and the players coming through.....They will all be over 34/35 the next Euro's, And you don't have a great U21's(you only made the playoffs)

A lot of English media love to play the "best league in the world" it may be true but you have a very high % of imports playing and keeping the progress of young englishmen from progressing.

Oh, and your only 1 place above us(Scotland) in the last rankings so stop being such an arrogant sod and realise the hype has been going on since 66 and the closest you have got is Gazza crying like a spoilt child.

We have no chance of qualifying? Got closer than you did for the Euro's! now get your head out of your own bottom and join the real world.

Probably the stongest team idavidually. However over recent years i believe Northern Ireland and Scotland would also be a force to play(well before Burley came in) both team have been punching well above their weight. Scotland beating France home and away only missing out on a Euro place because of a free kick that should never have been. Northern Irelnad though even comming from a Scotsman bloody hell their doing well.

Couldnt agree more.

What do you mean "we" it's not Rangers playing in the Celtic cup, Im a Hibs fan and I would hate it if Scotland won a "British Cup" and apart from you lot and your Edinburgh reserves would be of the same opinion I would think.

I take it you have no interest in winning the "Scottish" Cup though?

Does this really have to turn into the Scottish v English debate? It's SO pointless.

Don't think it's a debate rather than realising that Scotland are ONE place behind them in the rankings and that they don't have a devine right to be qualifying for major tournies

Don't think it's a debate rather than realising that Scotland are ONE place behind them in the rankings and that they don't have a devine right to be qualifying for major tournies

The english have always been and always will be arrogant when it comes to sport. It's part media influenced so i don't just blame the fans. Did you hear adrian durham and wrighty after the croatia game. "We can win the next world cup!" only days after saying that there was a serious possibility of capello failing!

Does this really have to turn into the Scottish v English debate? It's SO pointless.

I don't think it is mate.

The arrogance of the post claiming England should have entered their B team is what lead to this, people are rightly angered by such high and mighty claims.

I don't think it is mate.

The arrogance of the post claiming England should have entered their B team is what lead to this, people are rightly angered by such high and mighty claims.

This isn't pointless? Right.

Not to sound rude, but there is a football forum for discussion like this. This thread was a genuine question which has turned into a pointless thread.

Plus, Scottish and English AGREEING? Never going to happen (which is why IMO, it is pointless) :D

I'd love to see this included in the game if there's time (failing that the option to create your own competitions would do!). International management has been coming on leaps and bounds in the last few games but I've always been wary of being one of the home nations. Mainly because the likes of the African Nations and Copa America seemed more fun than the generic European Qualifying/Cup.

I think in the game, and RL, the competition will be rather exciting and make it worth managing one of them again. For me at least. It would be nice to be able to build up a recent rivalry with one of the teams based on regular competitive meetings rather than the odd friendly and chance meeting in a competition.

As for real life I think England not joining in will do them more harm than good. Regular competitive matches would do more to build a team than less frequent meangingless friendlies. A lot of pride would be at stake in these matches which would mean you might get an England side that actual plays with some backbone on a regular basis. I think the regular meaningful matches will do wonders for the already improving other home nations.

As for England being too big or too good...that's daft. Despite plenty of talent, lots of fans and some great individual players England haven't won anything of note since '66. Cries of being a great team start to sound a little feeble after that sort of time. Based on the hype England get before every competition all they have managed to do is consistantly underachieve. Which is in stark contrast to the way the likes of other Home nations have started punching above their weight and improving.

Thinking about it, surely England should be jumping at the chance to play in the competition? It would mean they'd actually get some silverware.

I think Celtic Cup is a good name. Ranger's fans not liking seems like a stupid idea for not calling it that. It's not pronounced the same, it does not have the same meaning and it would mean no extra prestige for Celtic (the team). Just seems ignorant of the origins of the word, and indeed the countries involved.

This isn't pointless? Right.

Not to sound rude, but there is a football forum for discussion like this. This thread was a genuine question which has turned into a pointless thread.

Plus, Scottish and English AGREEING? Never going to happen (which is why IMO, it is pointless) :D

Oh I agree that it is pointless...and in the wrong place.

Not a Scotts Vs English debate though. Just the world against the English, as usual. :p

No you are right they will never agree...I am neither by the way.

Excuse me? Scotland and Northern Ireland came as close to qualifying for the Euro 2008 competition as England did. And don't forget that Northern Ireland actually beat England a couple of years ago!

Take your head out of your arse please! England aren't as good as you'd like to think they are.

Excuse me? Scotland and Northern Ireland came as close to qualifying for the Euro 2008 competition as England did. And don't forget that Northern Ireland actually beat England a couple of years ago!

Take your head out of your arse please! England aren't as good as you'd like to think they are.

Obviously the arrogance of some of my fellow Englishmen is a tad misplaced, but I still can't help thinking the Celtic Cup is a bit pointless. What will be the prestige in winning it? What is the point in it? Will the world beyond the celtic nations take any notice?

That said, I still hope it'll be in the game, in the interests of realism.

I'm Northern Irish and I really couldn't care less about this competition, it's just yet more money for the shabby IFA to make. I hadn't missed a game in 13 years yet wasn't given any sort of priority for season tickets at the start of WCQ, there's no loyalty to the fans who were there when we were extremely crap :D

I hope it's in the game because it will be realistic, but I don't care about the tournament.

Laugh out loud at all the optimistic England fans who think we'd defo win it! England didn't participate, presumably because they didn't want to play with better teams, or have to suffer the arse ache of losing to our rivals?

Oh, and I'm an England fan (just a little more realistic than some).

Laugh out loud at all the optimistic England fans who think we'd defo win it! England didn't participate, presumably because they didn't want to play with better teams, or have to suffer the arse ache of losing to our rivals?

Oh, and I'm an England fan (just a little more realistic than some).

Well said that man!

I do actually reckon you would win the "Celtic" cup if you were involved - I just don't agree with the "World Class" tag the English have given themselves as they have far from proved it since 1966. The players maybe world class(not all) but as a team you tend to be,at the most, a decent team.

I think the arrogance perceived by many (the Scots, the Welsh... okay, the rest of the world) is mainly down to one thing: hope. If we - the English - sit around saying "we're gonna fail to qualify" as many of us did in private once McLaren was announced as England coach, it's not considered particularly patriotic, and rather negative, and as we are a superstitious lot we believe that sort of thing can transmit to the team. Saying "We're gonna win the world cup this year" is more a mantra than a geniune prediction.

Given the quality of the individuals in the squad, though, we SHOULD qualify every time. If the England team had the Scottish workrate mentality and spirit we'd win the 2010 World Cup never mind qualify. But we don't - we have pampered metrosexuals who can't commit fully to the national cause in fear of breaking a nail. We'll probably qualify, scrape through our group, the second round, then go out in the quarters. On penalties.

Anyway, back on topic - in my experience this sort of thing will not be in the out-of-the-box game. At the moment I understand they are testing the game quite thoroughly but will only fix problems that are currently present. We MAY get this tournament in a future patch, just like the 7-subs rule on the 802 patch. Not sure if competitions are hard-coded, though.

but I still can't help thinking the Celtic Cup is a bit pointless. What will be the prestige in winning it? What is the point in it? Will the world beyond the celtic nations take any notice?

It's a competition, like any other. What, exactly, is the point of the Premiership or the FA Cup. Turn your attention to Rugby, and describe the point of the six nations tournament.

I think more fans than not would like to see games against our neighbours (and I think it's a shame that England have chosen not to participate).

In FM terms, obviously it would be nice to have a tournament like this in place. What would be nicer (albeit unlikely) would be the ability to generate recurring friendly tournaments against local opposition - both at club and international level - which happen in the close or pre season.

And you don't have a great U21's(you only made the playoffs)

That is just stupid, as there is no automatic qualification from the group stage of the u-21 Euro championship qualifications, and their record in the group is played 8, won 7, drawn 1, lost 0, score 17, conceded 1 - best record of any team in the groups.

Typical English snobbery and exactly the reason why England are now a country of 'nearly men' who embody the spirit of huff and puff but are now not good enough. The English seem to think they have some God-given right to be successful, when the sad state of affairs is that any English team close to success are inevitably built up and then torn apart by an ignorant and media driven nation of football fans.

I wonder Carl did you enjoy your last trip to Windsor Park.....

I wonder Carl did you enjoy your last trip to Windsor Park.....

The turnstyles always ruin my trip to Windsor park, they feel and look like torture devices :D

Anyways I think we've all agreed that some Englishmen are way too arrogant about football, but I always enjoy it because it makes it even more exciting when they fail.

The turnstyles always ruin my trip to Windsor park, they feel and look like torture devices :D

Anyways I think we've all agreed that some Englishmen are way too arrogant about football, but I always enjoy it because it makes it even more exciting when they fail.

I'm glad you said that - I hate it when we all get tarred with the same brush!

I'm glad you said that - I hate it when we all get tarred with the same brush!

Well it's the same as club football, my dad's supported Man Utd since 1974 and he indoctrinated me from birth, so I hate when people label Utd fans as glory hunters, my dad especially hates it because he launches into a speech about how he had to live through the horror that was Ron Atkinson :D I know a lot of Utd fans are glory hunters, but a lot aren't, in the same way that a lot of England fans don't think they are god's gift and are realistic about the team.

Stop being so bloody arrogant. You English are all the same, England are mince, hence why they did not qualify for the EUROs. Now im not saying Wales Scotland etc are not mince because they are aswell. But your level of arrogancy is unbelieveable.

It's a competition, like any other. What, exactly, is the point of the Premiership or the FA Cup. Turn your attention to Rugby, and describe the point of the six nations tournament.

I think more fans than not would like to see games against our neighbours (and I think it's a shame that England have chosen not to participate).

In FM terms, obviously it would be nice to have a tournament like this in place. What would be nicer (albeit unlikely) would be the ability to generate recurring friendly tournaments against local opposition - both at club and international level - which happen in the close or pre season.

Well, the six nations tournament is a competition played by the six best teams in the Northern Hemisphere - more like the Euro Championships than the Celtic Cup.

However, I do think it is a nice idea and it is a shame that England will not be participating as there will always be a huge amount of rivalry in an England Scotland match - also as someone mentioned earlier, the England team need more friendlies to gel and start playing better as a team.

Stop being so bloody arrogant. You English are all the same, England are mince, hence why they did not qualify for the EUROs. Now im not saying Wales Scotland etc are not mince because they are aswell. But your level of arrogancy is unbelieveable.

I have to say, I find that incredibly offensive - there's absolutely no need for that. We're clearly NOT all the same, as one look at my posts in this thread will reveal. Are you always that generalistic in life? Tar everyone with the same brush do you? Racist at all?

While you're correct that the guy was incredibly arrogant, you are WRONG to say we're all the same. :thdn:

Can we stop tarring all English people with the same brush, just because some fans are very arrogant like Carl here doesn't mean we are all like him. Its just like my claiming all Scottish people eat everything deep fat fried and that all Scottish teenagers are pregnant or fathers. I don't think England have a divine right to win everything and I always want the other Home nations to do well (and the Irish as well).

Anyway I think that the Celtic cup sounds a brilliant idea as we all like to play our local rivals and I'm are rather disappointed that England wont be involved.

Also for the record I am half English and half Australian and I always cheer on the home nations and Australia (which can be tricky when they meet each other i.e ashes).

Racism still alive and well I see.

ONE immature, pretty brainless kid, makes a stupid comment and suddenly all the racists are out in force: "typical English", "you English are all the same".

As somebody who is English, living in Scotland, I have to put up with racist comments to myself, my partner and our 2 kids (despite the fact they're actually Scottish!), so I'm not that surprised by it to be honest.

Archived