Changing Captain

Does dumping a captain after 4 seasons create that big a problem?

As i have Barry Ferguson Captaining my Rangers side and has been captain for the past 4 (in-game seasons + god knows how many before IRL) years however hes no longer good enough to play at 33 and was wondering would it severly hinder my sides chances with players hating me etc. or would they just move on?

Sometimes the team are unhappy (or the old captain is at least :D ) for a couple of weeks, but tbh it's not the end of the world.

If your choice is a good one, it'll work out fine. (if he's 33 then most of the team will probably agree with you that a change is needed)

cool as i think ferguson managed bout 10ish appearence for me last season all ill do is promote my vice captain to captain, wanted to make sure bout players hating me as alot get annoyed at me when i reject bids for them, but no one leaves the club unless its silly money or i say they can leave :)

To be honest, I dont find a major problem even if the players dislike it.

I took over Middlesbrough on a new game yesterday and Julio Arca was the captain. He wasn't a first teamer and his stats werent that great so I replaced him with Didier Digard. Most players were unhappy but I won my first game 2-0 (two goals from my new captain :D ). Almost immediately, the discontent dissapeared.

I don't know if this has anything to do with Digard putting in a blinder in his first game as captain but I've never had any probems since.

I took over Middlesbrough on a new game yesterday and Julio Arca was the captain. He wasn't a first teamer and his stats werent that great so I replaced him with Didier Digard. Most players were unhappy but I won my first game 2-0 (two goals from my new captain :D ). Almost immediately, the discontent dissapeared.

I don't know if this has anything to do with Digard putting in a blinder in his first game as captain but I've never had any probems since.

No-one complained when I removed Arca as captain on my Boro game. Tymoschuk got it instead and everyone thought it was good (even some of the U18s).

No-one complained when I removed Arca as captain on my Boro game. Tymoschuk got it instead and everyone thought it was good (even some of the U18s).

Well this was a few seasons into the game, so maybe they built up good relationships with him over that time :)

If the old captain has been at it for a while, I find they generally don't have huge issues. Changing a captain can sometimes give your team a short term boost as morale can shoot up if players like the appointment (don't do it too often though because it can have an averse or no effect, once every few seasons as a desperate measure is probably fine).

You can go through a slump, and you cannot get a win to save your live and morale is low. Sometimes, this morale boost with a change of captain to a popular member in the squad might be able to kickstart an improvement on the playing field.

If i take over a club mid way through a season , i always keep the captain and vice captain the same , and then re-asses the situation at the end of the season . Keeps the harmony , and everyone happy IMO.

I usually choose a captain based on their position dc/mc , and how long they have been at the club , the longer the better IMO

if its Ferguson worry more about the fans and board dont want to be the next Paul le Guen

Wont be like that im actually doing well :D

well i changed it to my most experienced Centre Back (cant spell his name as theres too many Y's in it :D)

i lost my first game but the squad dont seem to bothered Fergusons was annoyed and kept asking for confirmation on his role at the club but come xmas and normal service has been resumed with me playing will and the players, board and fans fine with it

If you aren't playing your captain then you don't need to take away his captain status. Just organise a list of captains in the tactics screen accordingly as you would with corner takers etc. If Ferguson doesn't play then your other choices will take over. Everybody's happy

Archived