Happens in real life as well

There was a thread a few days ago where somebody was saying that the game is too easy and not realistic as its imposible (IRL) to achive continental glory with a 3rd division team.

My example is CFR CLUJ, romanian champions and cup winners last season.

Six years ago they were in the romanian 3rd division and last night they won 2-1 on Olimpico agains AS ROMA. (CL)

My point is that we shouldn t feel bad when we take control of a team like Blackpool and win everything:)

Your information is incorrect.

The stadium previously helf 12,500, and has recently been redeveloped to hold 25,000. The club unfortunately still gets ana verage gae (for league games) of around 3,500.

And nor did they win the intertoto cup. And even if they did, it's not much to shout about.

Your information is incorrect.

The stadium previously helf 12,500, and has recently been redeveloped to hold 25,000. The club unfortunately still gets ana verage gae (for league games) of around 3,500.

And nor did they win the intertoto cup. And even if they did, it's not much to shout about.

Is this based on real life facts or fm facts?

If you ll look to the match stats you ll see that it was anything else but luck. They played a very good game and dominated most of the play.

Perhaps, im sure they derserved their win on this occassion but i meant luck more as in it was a one off. Wouldnt mind being proved wrong though, be nice to see a small team make it through.

Did someone throw loads of money at CFR Cluj or did they do it through hard work alone? If you throw enough money at a club then nothing is impressive.

They invested a lot of money, but nowhere near the amounts that are spent in EPL or Primera. Thy probably have a budget of 20 mil euros.

Yes, but I'm guessing that budget is large with respect to the Romanian league so then it is a case of taking that on into Europe. I was hugely impressed by their result in Rome (and I can't remember who they beat to reach the group stage), but obviously the odd freak result can always happen (even if they did play just as well or better than Roma on that one day) both in real life and in game - consistency is another matter that is yet to be judged. I would love to see more Eastern European teams do well in Europe (esp. Champions League), but only time will tell

I think they've done remarkably well considering their first team is just romanians. oh wait hang on... that's not right. Unlike the rest of romanian teams their team is full of south americans who are only interested in one thing. cashola! dinero! mucho money! if there wasn't the finicial investment six years ago, Cluj wouldn't be on our radars. but having said that. I still say well done to them as roma is never an easy game. oh wait hang on... 7-1! damn it, forget everything!

The real story of success is Hoffenheim in Germany, albeit backed by a relatively rich benefactor. Those rose through the divisions, into the South Regional division, before winning successive promotions into the Bundesliga where they now stands sixth. What is particularly amazing is that they are based in a village in the middle of nowhere with a population of 3,286. Impressive. Their average gates are slightly more at around 5,000 last season (no idea what it's been so far).

therubberducky27: I don't think they were lucky, they played much better and deserved 100% the victory, and they didn't proposed to reach the next round, they will try to finish 3rd

glamdring: Steaua and Rapid also have a 20 milion budget, and other 2 teams, Dinamo and Poli Timisoara have around 15, so their budget is not that big. They played directly in the group stage in UCL because they've wonned the title in Romania, and Romania has a very good coefficient right now. Steaua finished second, and they played in the third qualifying round with Galatasaray.

dirty1982dec: CFR had 8 foreign players last night in the first 11. In Romania 33% of the players who are playing in the first league are foreign players, so they are not that different from the rest of Romanian teams. For example: Steaua - Bayern last night (0-1), Steaua had 4 south americans in the starting team. So, you remember that 7-1, but please tell me what was the result in the first leg? That's what I thought...

;1675251']therubberducky27: I don't think they were lucky' date=' they played much better and deserved 100% the victory, and they didn't proposed to reach the next round, they will try to finish 3rd

glamdring: Steaua and Rapid also have a 20 milion budget, and other 2 teams, Dinamo and Poli Timisoara have around 15, so their budget is not that big. They played directly in the group stage in UCL because they've wonned the title in Romania, and Romania has a very good coefficient right now. Steaua finished second, and they played in the third qualifying round with Galatasaray.

dirty1982dec: CFR had 8 foreign players last night in the first 11. In Romania 33% of the players who are playing in the first league are foreign players, so they are not that different from the rest of Romanian teams. For example: Steaua - Bayern last night (0-1), Steaua had 4 south americans in the starting team. So, you remember that 7-1, but please tell me what was the result in the first leg? That's what I thought...[/quote']

33% is approx 4 out of 11. cfr 8 out of 11. big difference? statistically speaking... yes. try maths for beginners. and no.. i can't remember the first leg score. was it 1-0 to roma. I dunno. maybe it's because I'm not a Man Utd fan. But i can do humour. you? obviuosly not.

I don't think it's a big difference, 33% is only the average, there are teams with 100% romanian players, and teams with even 9 or 10 foreign players in the first team. I know what was the score on the first leg, and also the score on agg, I was just trying to say that you've compared a Roma's home game with a game that was played away by Roma. Maybe CFR will win 7-0 in the next game again AS Roma, who knows, and then a possible agg score will be better then the one Man Utd managed to obtain 2 years ago, so far they have a small advantage :)

If 33% is average then 8/11 = 72.7% is a "big" difference in anyone's book, although quite what the number of foreign players has to do with anything at all I'm not sure. In many English teams an English player is quite a novelty anyway. If teams had to field teams 100% from their own nation in Europe it'd be great :p

If 33% is average then 8/11 = 72.7% is a "big" difference in anyone's book, although quite what the number of foreign players has to do with anything at all I'm not sure. In many English teams an English player is quite a novelty anyway. If teams had to field teams 100% from their own nation in Europe it'd be great :p

he was talking about the romanian league average(33%) not about cfr specificly. More than that i see nothing wrong with having 8 foreign players in your team.

;1675704']I don't think it's a big difference' date=' 33% is only the average, there are teams with 100% romanian players, and teams with even 9 or 10 foreign players in the first team. I know what was the score on the first leg, and also the score on agg, I was just trying to say that you've compared a Roma's home game with a game that was played away by Roma. Maybe CFR will win 7-0 in the next game again AS Roma, who knows, and then a possible agg score will be better then the one Man Utd managed to obtain 2 years ago, so far they have a small advantage :)[/quote']

and i was trying to inject some humour into the debate nothing more.

Roma are in a little crisis right now. But still credit to CFR Cluj.

The real story of success is Hoffenheim in Germany, albeit backed by a relatively rich benefactor. Those rose through the divisions, into the South Regional division, before winning successive promotions into the Bundesliga where they now stands sixth. What is particularly amazing is that they are based in a village in the middle of nowhere with a population of 3,286. Impressive. Their average gates are slightly more at around 5,000 last season (no idea what it's been so far).

Yes quite impressive, they were in German 10th division 12 or 13 years ago. They also spent only one season in Bundesliga 2 and were promoted. They're moving to a new stadium of 30,000 in January. But than again Dietmar Hopp(one of founders of SAP) is loaded with $$$. In today's world of football you have to have $$$ to go places.

Archived