3D or not 3D? it should be an obvious answer!

i just can not understand the animosity towards a 3D match engine. surely to god it will enhance the playing experience by a country mile. i appreciate theres a strong contingent who come from the "if its not broke dont fix it" camp but FM needs to improve and evolve if its going to retain its rightful crown of 'best management sim'. for me a 3D match engine has been needed for a while and will hopefully prove to be the missing piece of the jigsaw to finally drag it from its spreadsheet roots. the expectations of paying gamers and new technology is why we still arent sat around fiddling with our joysticks over pacman. okay, there may be a few teething problems at first with the new addition, but 3D viewing of our teams playing is in my oppinion, the future. so lets embrace it!

• SI Staff

Like when we introduced a 2D view, if you don't like it you don't have to view it.

You now have the option to view the match as text commentary only, 2D like in CM4 -> FM 2008 or the new 3D view.

I can't understand people making comments on the 3d engine at all, be they positive or negative, before they've even used it. It may be great or it may be appalling - I'll wait and see when I use it...if I decide to buy a new laptop...if I don't then it is guaranteed to be appalling because my little laptop will shudder and judder to a halt :p

I can't understand people making comments on the 3d engine at all, be they positive or negative, before they've even used it. It may be great or it may be appalling - I'll wait and see when I use it...if I decide to buy a new laptop...if I don't then it is guaranteed to be appalling because my little laptop will shudder and judder to a halt :p

its called a 'forum' for a reason

The one thing I'm hoping this will finally resolve is the "denied an obvious penalty" or "that was a harsh penalty decision" post game media comments, so it's now more clear cut than a guess since the 2D view dosn't provide us visual fouls.

Plus, I wouldn't mind seeing a few goal scoring celebrations, or better yet, like in the old Fifa games (Road To The World Cup 98) When you won the league, you're team was handed a generic trophy, and you went on and celebrated with a victory lap.

Sure, and on intelligent forums people usually discuss things when they know at least something about it.

Spot on, i was quite skeptical about the 3d engine when it was announced, but i won't pass judgement until i've used it for a while and gotten a reasonable feel for it.

That said this thread is probably unwarranted as the post could have gone into the thread for discussing the 3d engine :D

The one thing I'm hoping this will finally resolve is the "denied an obvious penalty" or "that was a harsh penalty decision" post game media comments, so it's now more clear cut than a guess since the 2D view dosn't provide us visual fouls.

From the clips released so far you'll be able to see about as much as with the dots. Maybe a little more sliding or tripping, but not enough to make an informed decision. If there are close-ups in replays fair enough, but otherwise you'll be better off reading the match report.

Am looking forward to seeing 3D in action for real, but for those expecting penalty decisions, off-sides, etc to be clearer I expect you will be somewhat disappointed. It'll enhance the game to a degree, but it isn't the second coming.

And to echo a couple others on this thread, why is there any need to bring this up again? Isn't there an official thread somewhere?

The one thing I struggled with with 2D dots was if my centre backs were winning headers, or if my defence was been skinned by opposition strikers and vice versa. OK the dots to some extent helped but seeing a winger glide past your left back for the fourth time in 3D will give you some indication of tactics etc. Thats assuming the 3D representation of the engine shows this. ;)

I'll be sticking with 2D because the joy of the game for me is imagining what is going on. SI have already said that there will be some animations missing from the 3D mode such as intricate take-rounds etc, so for me it just won't be realistic enough yet.

I'll give it a try though, and I'll certainly use it to view contentious penalties if the press ask me.

Like when we introduced a 2D view, if you don't like it you don't have to view it.

You now have the option to view the match as text commentary only, 2D like in CM4 -> FM 2008 or the new 3D view.

Ter the OP is embracing 3D, not going against it. Get some sleep ;)

Sure, and on intelligent forums people usually discuss things when they know at least something about it.

I disagree! I use the forum as a source of information & learning about all sorts of things related to the game. I have asked many questions that have kindly been answered by experienced members.

I would hate it if just because I was ignorant of a problem, I would be made to feel embarrased about posting and discussing here.

Surely "intelligent forums people usually discuss things when they know at least something about it" is not in many, many cases true.

jbrowes,

Asking about things that other users might know about is completely different though, because you are more than likely going to get an answer of some sort. Threads like this are pure speculation, glamdring isn't saying you shouldn't ask questions about things you don't know about, he's saying it's pointless asking questions noone (other than Ter & Si) knows anything about.

I agree with him tbh and I also agree with Neji's opening post, that there is no need to discuss this again because t's been discussed to death and the usual outcome is - "we don't know so we'll wait and see".

Yup. My point wasn't about people not posting when they don't know something - that is the most important aspect of this forum, arguably. My point was, as Nomis said, about starting threads in which the blind lead the blind and everyone in the thread is discussing something that none of them knows anything about apart from having seen some videos which, SI presumably being as good as any other company at advertising, will obviously show the 3d match engine in its best light.

That said, I must apologise unreservedly for my original comment...the plural of "forum" should really be "fora" ;)

Plus, I wouldn't mind seeing a few goal scoring celebrations, or better yet, like in the old Fifa games (Road To The World Cup 98) When you won the league, you're team was handed a generic trophy, and you went on and celebrated with a victory lap.

3D will hopefully clear up those dubious penalty descision when, lets face it 2D doesnt help whatsoever when you play it back.

as for goal celebs & trophy recieving, its not important but it would be better than a paragragh to tell you youve won!

I'll be sticking with 2D because the joy of the game for me is imagining what is going on. SI have already said that there will be some animations missing from the 3D mode such as intricate take-rounds etc, so for me it just won't be realistic enough yet.

I'll give it a try though, and I'll certainly use it to view contentious penalties if the press ask me.

the 'book' is usually better than the 'film' i agree. but the game needs to progress or it will get left behind. who knows, maybe in 10 years time we may be viewing our matches in 'real time' and virtually interacting with our players, rather than watching blobs on a screen and clicking on a pre-determined lines of text. if you want to continue imagining then fine my friend. personally, id rather see more for my hard earned £25 every year than updated spreadsheets.

Archived