You dont have to know football to be a manager?

Laying in bed last sunday morning, my new GF aged 40 today said that to be a manager of somthing you dont necaserilly need to know about what your managing but beable to motivate the staff under you..

She is a recruitment manager by trade and beleives she would make a good Fm Manager, to my supprise she actually knows alot obut the term in the game and what they mean and how they would effect a team etc.. sunday she bought her first ever copy of FM, if she can understand the tactical side of the game i think she may show me up lol. she seems to know how to encourage the players even before she has seen what options are in the game.

i think an early divorce could be on the cards lol.. does any one know a girl who is excellent at FM?

My girlfriend started a game with West Ham recently, I'm not sure why she took the interest. I had a look at her game once and seen she'd bid £40k for Fernando Torres.

So no, I don't know any girl that's good at Fm. She's excited about the prospect of being a Female manager in FM09 though...

40k for Torres. Lol.

My girlfriend can't stand football, and I've not befriended a single girl who does like it, let alone want to manage a team. But that's probably because I go to uni and mix with artsy types who think football is aimed at ******* who like to fight and argue with each other, which is easy to understand why they would think that.

I doubt any players would take you seriously as a manager if you didn't know anything about football. You could have the best motivational skills in the world, but you still need to buy the right players (for the right price, i.e not 40k for Torres) and arrange those players in to the right formation giving them the right tactics, and work with them on the training ground each day. No good giving a motivational speech before training each morning then telling them to go kick the ball around

My girlfriend can't stand football, and I've not befriended a single girl who does like it, let alone want to manage a team. But that's probably because I go to uni and mix with artsy types who think football is aimed at ******* who like to fight and argue with each other, which is easy to understand why they would think that.

I doubt any players would take you seriously as a manager if you didn't know anything about football. You could have the best motivational skills in the world, but you still need to buy the right players (for the right price, i.e not 40k for Torres) and arrange those players in to the right formation giving them the right tactics, and work with them on the training ground each day. No good giving a motivational speech before training each morning then telling them to go kick the ball around

you say that, but Fm doesnt totaly resemble those requirments, we dont get to train or even be present at training days. as for buying the right players for tactics. i dont agree with that because if you have good enough players for standerd of league that you play in then providing your tactics are great. you will win reguardless. thats one aspect of the game i feel we are not able to put accross our own personalities. it's a case of using a system which beats a match engine flaw which prob thousands of other gamers all use the same. it doesnt mean we all have the same personalities or knowledge etc

you say that' date=' but Fm doesnt totaly resemble those requirments, we dont get to train or even be present at training days. as for buying the right players for tactics. i dont agree with that because if you have good enough players for standerd of league that you play in then providing your tactics are great. you will win reguardless. thats one aspect of the game i feel we are not able to put accross our own personalities. it's a case of using a system which beats a match engine flaw which prob thousands of other gamers all use the same. it doesnt mean we all have the same personalities or knowledge etc[/quote']

I was talking generally, not just about being a manager on FM. Sticking to FM, then sure, anyone can pick it up and play and if they know nothing about football, no harm done, they can learn without having the British media ripping them to pieces :)

if she can understand the tactical side of the game i think she may show me up lol.

Doesn't that statement pretty much kill your argument (that in the thread title)? If she can understand the tactical side of the game then she no longer doesn't know anything about football and if she can't then she's not going to make a good manager or if she does it would be totally accidental and unlikely to last!

Doesn't that statement pretty much kill your argument (that in the thread title)? If she can understand the tactical side of the game then she no longer doesn't know anything about football and if she can't then she's not going to make a good manager or if she does it would be totally accidental and unlikely to last!

you think it may be a fluke lol... for soem one hwo knows little about football, what im saying is i asked her if she knew what certain terms mean. ie players abilites in terms if mental. physical, tecnicall etc. along with the team instructions.. she knows what they mean and what tactically you need for them to work and how to use the press to boost morale.

when i asked her to name a flair player. she said "David Beckham". i said hmmmm... i asked her what creative freedoem ment. and she said " how much freedom you would give a player to deside how he plays" i know most of these thing's are self explanitery but if you know and then you are ablew to use this in the game, providing she can create a tactic she may very well be good at the game..

the first thing i told her to do was get the coaches in that she wanted and then check the team for weaknesses..

Boy oh Boy is she fussy. she looks at the stats and wotn settle for 2nd best. i had to explain you cant get Jose Mourinho as Assistant of Norwich City, that was the calibre of quality she wanted as her assistant.

Laying in bed last sunday morning' date=' my new GF aged 40 today said that to be a manager of somthing you dont necaserilly need to know about what your managing but beable to motivate the staff under you..

She is a recruitment manager by trade and beleives she would make a good Fm Manager, to my supprise she actually knows alot obut the term in the game and what they mean and how they would effect a team etc.. sunday she bought her first ever copy of FM, if she can understand the tactical side of the game i think she may show me up lol. she seems to know how to encourage the players even before she has seen what options are in the game.

i think an early divorce could be on the cards lol.. does any one know a girl who is excellent at FM?[/quote']

But how do you divorce a girlfriend?

you dont need to know about football to be a motivational speaker no. and if a club wants one or something similar but with a different title then they will employer one.

and she's part right about not needing to know about what your managing. if you were managing a supermarket.

but to be a football manager you need to know about football and tactics and the best way to counter oppo tactics etc.

You don't have to know anything about football to be a manager on FM. I'm a football nerd and I know a lot about FM, does that mean I know anything about football and especially actual football management? No.

I know about football, but nothing about real football management. A knowledge of the former is important for playing FM, but obviously not the latter otherwise SI's target audience would be somewhat small!

Aye, but he didn't explicitely say he would divorce his girlfriend, just that she is currently his girlfriend and that early divorce might be on the cards ;)

Don't you realise you're going to invalidate my point if you keep coming back with arguments like that?! :mad:

I doubt any players would take you seriously as a manager if you didn't know anything about football.

Arrigo Sacchi was a shoe slaesman before leading Milan to European Glory, and of course Italy's run to the 1994 World Cup final.

Granted he did play as a boy, but IIRC he never played at the top flight, so you never know :)

Arrigo Sacchi was a shoe slaesman before leading Milan to European Glory, and of course Italy's run to the 1994 World Cup final.

Granted he did play as a boy, but IIRC he never played at the top flight, so you never know :)

None of that suggests that Sacchi knew nothing about football, though.

I know about football, but nothing about real football management. A knowledge of the former is important for playing FM, but obviously not the latter otherwise SI's target audience would be somewhat small!

It's important, but not essential. Anyone could buy the game, sign up to the forums and read the guides to get an idea of how to play the game. In the same way that I know nothing about Ice Hockey, but have been enjoying an EHM game I picked up for 99p from a chairty shop.

Laying in bed last sunday morning' date=' my new GF aged 40 today said that to be a manager of somthing you dont necaserilly need to know about what your managing but beable to motivate the staff under you..

i think an early divorce could be on the cards lol.. does any one know a girl who is excellent at FM?[/quote']

I don't know of any girls, but being a man, I've tried an experiment at Maidenhead where I let the Ass Man be in charge of the tactics and in-game adjustments. All I contributed were the starting 11 and 5 subs; the pre-match team talk, discipline following a match, and the media interactions. I took Maidenhead with a morale of 6 and a reputation to the BSP in one season and then kept them there for 2 more seasons. I'm not through with my experiment, but they are the highest ranking semi-professional team in the league.

For 08, tactics are important, but the game can still be very enjoyable without knowing them inside and out. Success can also be achieved with an Ass Man in charge too (and it doesn't even need to be Pako Ayestaran).

Home form work. Just to claify the Divorce settelment, ;) sorry i didnt use that word in exact terms. it was just a phrase i choose to aknowledge a premature split may be on the cards over FM ;) Divorce does tecnically mean end of marridge, but i used it in a term of seperation. So no need for you gys to buy a new hat lol. ;)

i best just add also to clarify, when i say she has no knowledge of football. it means she doesn't follow football. it's suprising she would want to take the challenge of a Football manager on a game having no tatse to follow the game IRL...

i certainly know for one that you can be knowledgable of football or not and still be poor at FM, there isnt many super tactics in Fm that would work IRL, it's all about fdinding a solution to beat the match engine or find small flaws to give you an advantage. the fact it's in a football game doesnt make it like Football IRL.

Home form work. Just to claify the Divorce settelment' date=' ;) sorry i didnt use that word in exact terms. it was just a phrase i choose to aknowledge a premature split may be on the cards over FM ;) Divorce does tecnically mean end of marridge, but i used it in a term of seperation. So no need for you gys to buy a new hat lol. ;)[/quote']

I'm gonna buy one anyway!

Archived