iPhone version?

I was just wondering that, with the invention and relative success of the App Store through iTunes and the fact that SEGA have already developed some applications for it coupled with the fact that Football Manager is already developed for Mac AND a handheld platform wether there was anything currently in the works or if there were any plans for a FM game on the iPhone on the horizon?

There's already been a thread on this, a while back. I'm sure Marc or one of the production team said that they would not be doing one for the i phone.

I think it would be hard to put on an i phone because of the large database required. Also, because they want to concentrate on just the Pc and handheld version.

I'm pretty sure of that.

:thup:

The iPhone has a faster CPU and more memory than the PSP. I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers of iPhone and PSP owners in FM's target audience were fairly similar now too. I think if SI have ruled out iPhone FM now then they should probably reconsider it for the future. Big market there, unaffected by piracy, and the hardware exceeds the PSP's...(lost count of all the people here saying FM on PSP would be perfect with a touch screen ;) )

That may be so, I don't know. But to be honest I can't see them making it for i phone, sure there would be quite a lot of people who would want it, however I would be almost certain that the majority of i phone owners wouldn't buy FM.

The reality is that PSP is primarily a games console, therefore people buy it with the main reason being to play games, and with FMH being one of the best selling games on the PSP coupled with the popularity of it within the gaming community, there's no doubt it will always sell a lot.

The i phone however is primarily a phone/media center, and the majority if not all of the owners buy them for that reason and not gaming. If they wanted a handheld games console, they would buy the considerably cheaper PSP.

All i'm saying is the demand for it on the i phone relative to the amount of i phone owners is very small, therefore SI probably wouldn't waste resources on it when they could be used to improve the already excellent handheld and Pc versions.

That's how I see it anyway.

:thup:

Something else to add, I agree that FMH with touch screen would be awesome and a lot easier to navigate!

However, going back to my origional point, the sort of resources and financial backing it requires to produce a game on a new format is, i'm sure, huge. Esentially they'd have to re-design the whole thing, I doubt you could port it straight to i phone format.

I'm not sure whether SI would risk designing and releasing it if they weren't sure it would be a massive seller, unless the i phone becomes the phone everyone has, which I doubt.

I personally am not a fan of apple, don't get me wrong I think there great at designing and knowing what people want, however i'm a sony guy and will stick to them. I chose the new mp3 walkman over the i pod aswell. I'm not going to be the only one surely!

Maybe in a couple of years if the i phone becomes a household item then you might see i FMH?

Who knows?

Mmmm you make some good points but I think you're underestimating the number of people who would buy FM on an iPhone. Also I don't think they'd have to completely re-design it, just the input method. Most of the code could be almost identical on the iPhone; it would just need to incorporate the touch screen capabilities rather than relying on PSP buttons.

And a bit off-topic... you said FMH is one of the best sellers on PSP which I'm not so sure of. Any links or something?

We're more likely to see the iPhone versions of mobile management games such as Real Football Manager and Fifa Manager first. Gameloft has already made a touch screen version of RFM for the Samsung Tocco, Works quite well.

SI have already made a comment on this. In simple terms, they said no.

(IIRC)

Actually, Marc said a little while back that he'd love to do a version for the iPhone, but it wasn't something they were looking at in the immediate future.

as far as the guy above who said not many people use the iphone for gaming, it's probably worth noting that the maker of Trism (a game available on the App Store for £3 ish) recently announce that he has made $250,000 from the app, in the first 6 weeks of it being available in the App Store. And that was AFTER Apple's cut.

So I think it's pretty safe to say that there's a market out there. I can't remember the exact iphone sales figures, but i know it's into the millions so far, just for the iPhone 3G.... AND bear in mind that on top of that, there's all the iPod Touch owners, who can play the same games.

why does this topic always get posted here?

wouldnt it be better in the pc forum?

It's a 50-50 really. Sure people some people see the iPhone as being a mini-PC, but you can't deny that it's a handheld device. If it was to be released on iPhone it'd be a lot more like FMH than FM

Continuing on from what ridley said... In this forum, there have been several threads about this and it's the same every time! I'm sure you're sick of people coming in the PC forum and not using the search feature and starting up another thread on an old subject!

Duh... Get your facts straight, FMH08 is less than 128mb. But yeah even if DS could store it on a cartridge it sucks too much to run it :D

I'm sure we're all just keen on an iPhone version since it feels like so long since we've had a new FMH. Never fear though, soon our desires will be satisfied and this iPhone talk will (perhaps unfortunately) sink into the depths of the handheld forums...

Duh... Get your facts straight, FMH08 is less than 128mb. But yeah even if DS could store it on a cartridge it sucks too much to run it :D

I'm sure we're all just keen on an iPhone version since it feels like so long since we've had a new FMH. Never fear though, soon our desires will be satisfied and this iPhone talk will (perhaps unfortunately) sink into the depths of the handheld forums...

How did you find out the game size? I assumed it would be large because if it didn't fill a umd then why is there not already a larger database? UMD's can hold more than a gig so less than 128mb seems like a bit of a waste really...

now now toptoffee, you cant just come in here from the pc forum and start having a go at the regulars here. you may well be quite a regular in other forums but youve never showed your face here before this thread was started
like Ridley said, have some respect!
Continuing on from what ridley said... In this forum, there have been several threads about this and it's the same every time! I'm sure you're sick of people coming in the PC forum and not using the search feature and starting up another thread on an old subject!
Hear, hear!

LSD's a regular and useful poster on here, so either chill out, or don't bother :D

:D :D :D

wow...

and for the record, the only reason I had a go at anyone because LSD was acting like some self-appointed moderator of this forum, who seemed to think that he had the authority to simply halt a discussion because he wasn't interested in it.

Oh and also, no, it doesn't particularly bother me when people post repeat topics - i just DON'T READ THEM... as opposed to coming in and trying to throw my "weight" around in them.

and for the record, the only reason I had a go at anyone because LSD was acting like some self-appointed moderator of this forum, who seemed to think that he had the authority to simply halt a discussion because he wasn't interested in it.

I hear ya there. You'll find a few of those people in these forums. They think they own the place lol

And now, i deem this thread worthy as evidence for a mod to be placed in here.

*Cough* RIDLEY *Cough*

:D

And mbchuz, LSD doesn't believe he 'owns the place', it's just that with a rather small community of FMH gamers, it's a nuisance when people post unrelated topics or topics that have been posted time and time again. And if you don't like it, you know where you can stick it :|

mbchuz youve done nothing but wind people up the wrong way since you started to post here you believe that you are always right and love to have a pop at others that have contributed more to the forum than what you have. Yes everybody is entitled to their opinions but unless they are constructive please keep you comments to yourself!

ah thank you!

end of rant

Not trying to cause any trouble, let alone be hell-bent on it. Just not a fan of the elitist attitude of several members...

Oh wow simultaneous post. Now with a post like that Ridley, who's the trouble stirrer? I like my opinion to be heard and I make no apologies about that, and I genuinely believe I do it without offending people. I highly doubt anything I have posted here could possibly be offensive. If people have been wound up about it then maybe they need to calm down a bit methinks

Anyways, let's get back on topic shall we

You two seem hell bent causing trouble... I don't think I'm a moderator, far from it. If a moderator were to come into this forum they'd close this thread because it isn't FMH related.

hell bent?

nope... not even purgatory-bent on causing trouble. I came in here originally to respond to what had been said in a thread that I had some interest in (in fact I was expanding on/semi-correcting your initial post where you said that SI had stated that an iphone version wouldn't happen). You obviously don't have any interest in the topic, since you declared "nuff said" - indicating that, in your opinion, the thread was not worthy of further discussion

since you HAD no interest in the topic in the first place, it DOES rather beg the question why you felt the need to come in and post in here, to tell others that their thoughts and discussion were in your eyes a waste of time. There's hundreds of other threads many of which I'm sure you're very interested in... so why not just talk there, rather than trying to impose your will in this one.

It *was* impressive however the way your minions jumped so vociferously to your defence after my joking, tongue-in-cheek comment about "open discussion"... An impressive following after just a few months of posting. :thup:

Anyway... that's (probably) the last I'll say on the matter - though doubtless there'll be a few more people accusing me of "causing trouble" or "having a go" or not "showing respect"... that last one's a particular favourite of mine :D

Cheers.

Archived