Maximizing value of under 24 year olds that are intent on leaving?

I have a 22year old GK that is refusing to negotiate extension even though he is happy with clubs progress and was a starter whole season long. I am currently playing as Coventry and just finished my first season in the prem league.

His contract is up on June 30 (currently in game it is mid may).

My question is that if he is bent on leaving, how can i ensure that i get the compensation payment and is there a way to maximize that compensation payment?

I'm pretty sure in England if you have offered a player under the age of 24 a contract of equal or better terms than he is already on you will get compensation. The only suggestion I can think of to maximise this value is to set his squad status as indespensible if you have not already done so.

He did not come through my academy. I bought him for $9M 2 years ago. He refused to sign a longer contract at the start and since has consistently refused extensions.

There is only one club that is interested in him but that club is in Serie A and he is italian so i am concerned.

What is the exact reason for him not wanting to sign? It will help to know thats all. Do you have him set as a decent young player or something like that? Does he get any first team football?

I dont know much about the compensation which is your main question, I'm just trying to help you keep him... at least for now.

If he doesn't want to sign a new contract then I would try and offer him to the italian club now. At least then you'll get something for him. If you wait the chances are very high that you'll loose him for nothing.

You could even try transfer listing him in the hope that it generates more interest.

The rules are in England that if a player is under 24 and you offer them a contract of equal or greater value then if another English club signs him they must pay compensation. Unfortunately for you this doesn't apply to clubs from outside of England, plus they can offer him a contract within 6 months of it's expiry date (whereas English clubs can only do it within 3 months).

The best advice I can give is keep offering him new contracts and hope for the best. If he's an essential squad member then offer him top whack, other than that I don't think there's much you can do.

Well done :)

Benoit Costil was one guy who left me like this (and he was my best player in a small spanish 2nd div club)...What I do is try to sell him even though the 6 month period is on. Sometimes it works and you can get some money out of him although at a discount, sometimes not and actively selling him will attract even more clubs that want him for free. Some clubs are in the same country as you and can't sign him in the 6 month period and offer $$. Some others dont want to wait until his contract expires and offer $$.

the converse also works (not the shoes)

if you want to buy a young player who can be signed on a free, check the bottom, as his club may be elligible for compensation, so what i do is offer a transfer of less than the comp. and they usually accept. if they don't, just sign him.

Got this idea just yesterday:D. Am playing as Manchester United in hopefully my final game before FM09. In my fourth season, i found that a number of my players including Pique, Ronaldo, Anderson, Nani and Sakho (the one from PSG) were all unhappy because i had rejected bids for them from various clubs. Two years later Pique, Ronaldo and Sakho's contracts were up for expiry. I offered them to clubs for their current value, added a 40% sell on clause..and added the minimum buy back price clause...waited for an year (narrowly finishing 4th :() and then i scouted them...all the three players were "extremely interested" in joining my club...immediately resigned them in the summer for their buy back prices..ended up making some profit with Ronaldo and Sakho :D..havent tried it with lower rep teams so i dont know whether this will work with all...but if u sell the player to a club with a similar rep..then i think you can get the player back in a year (sooner i think if u sell him in january and resign him in the summer:D)

You might have some luck getting yourself listed as one of his favored personnel by using the player interactions with respect to the media to get yourself listed.

I had 15 out of 19 players on my first team at Maidenhead who listed me as their favored personnel and none of them wanted to leave me during closed season and also accepted the contracts I offered to them as long as they were reasonably within their desired range.

I was going to say Javier Mascherano almost always does this for me at liverpool but he will actually sign a new contract near the end of his expiring. It's a bit strange - although when i am not playing as liverpool he nearly always gets sold - though I generally dont pay attention to if he goes on a free after his contract expires or if someone actually pays a realistic transfer fee for him

Archived