'After-life' for footballers in FM09?

Speng

How about adding some kind of 'after-life' for footballers when they retire?

For example, say you managed a great loyal player and he retired after a while.

If he chooses not to continue as a coach/scout/physio etc, normally he gets wiped out of the system and never get to see him again.

Sometimes, when I play all the way to 2050 or something, I want to look back to what I have been doing for 40+ years and interact or get in touch with players who used to play for me.

So what I suggest is, instead of wiping the player out, he should still stay in the system but with other profession such as a groundsman or a media officer at the club or even non-football profession such as teacher or businessman(pub/club owner etc).

If you click on the players name there will be no attribute but have the following:

1. Job title (eg. 'Groundsman at Arsenal' or 'Pub owner')

2. Location

3. Club history

4. Honours

It is very simple for SI to implement because all you have to do is to keep a long list of jobs in the DB and assign them any job at random out of the DB when they retire.

There are two problem with this.

A. The game DB might become too big

B. The SI might want to keep it simple and limit non-football related factors

For A, you can solve the problem by having an option for each player whether to keep him in the DB or not; and for some significant players who were classed as Worldclass or something the game itself can automatically keep them. Unless automatically kept by the game or 'keeping' options ticked by the gamer, all other footballers will be wiped out as usual thus game speed slowdown kept to a minimum.

For B, you can solve it by partly implementing the feature: you can only restrict the professions to football related such as groundsman, media officer, chairman(might not be straight after retirement), technical director and so on at a football club.

For football professions, the SI can even develop this further in future by having these retired players continuously interacting with the managers in the game.

Groundsman: the retired player appear when altering pitch dimensions

Media Officer: appear during press conference which is to be implemented in FM09

Chairman: appear (after sometime) when there is a takeover bid for a club

What do you guys think?

The database would become MASSIVE!

Yup - if FM 09 starts with 350,000 and you managed to load all of those players into the game, after about 10 years the game would have well over 2,000,000 staff - which is of course ridiculous! I don't mind the idea about club legends becoming ambassadors or representatives or whatever.

Yup - if FM 09 starts with 350,000 and you managed to load all of those players into the game, after about 10 years the game would have well over 2,000,000 staff - which is of course ridiculous! I don't mind the idea about club legends becoming ambassadors or representatives or whatever.

Yeah I agree, only the legends at the club should stay on. Like Henry or Barry :D

But some players do stay on as coaches and managers or other managment teams. I know you can't see their history or anything, but it's a start lol

Yeah I agree, only the legends at the club should stay on. Like Henry or Barry :D

But some players do stay on as coaches and managers or other managment teams. I know you can't see their history or anything, but it's a start lol

They aren't legends to my game though so I'd have no interest.

Who I would call legends of Leicester City no one buying the game in Spain would give a damn.

Archived