PPM's that contradict eachother.

I am playing a new save with fake players and currently have a player in my squad with 4 different PPM's.

Aidan Murphy PPM's.

1. Runs with ball down left.

2. Shoots from distance.

3. Curls ball.

4. Stays back at all times.

Now when Mr Murphy signed for me he could play DL and WB/L, but I have a bit of a thing for versatile players so I am attempting to retrain him to also play ML.

Now this might be helped by PPM's 1, 2, & 3, however 4. Stays back at all times will probably hinder his ability to play further forward.

Now my question is this.

How can a player have PPM's that contradict eachother?

Just imagine being young Mr Murphy for a second.

The new manager wants you to play ML rather than DL or WBL and he has told you that he wants you to be quite attacking and make forward runs often and run with ball often (which would be assisted by the PPM 1.Runs with ball down left.

Now that all sounds good but every time you go to follow out your managers instructions, (and naturally follow your #1 PPM instruction), you are riddled with confusion as PPM 4.stays back at all times is overuling the managers instructions and your #1 PPM and causing you to stay where you are (at best), and just pass the ball off short.

Is this a mistake or is it realistic?

I have a left back at Werder Bremen who stays back at all times and also gets forward whenever possible. He also has a 3rd PPM that is similar to one of those two, but I forget what that is now - one of them he learned off the guy I had tutoring him, but he already had contradictory ones before that - he's a regen btw. I tend to ignore PPMs though so I don't really notice in a game what is happening with regards to them.

We need to know exactly what the PPM's do. They're confusing. I don't know whether I should get this player tutored because the PPM's are unclear.

If you know football you should be able to understand them all - but of course the game is played by a lot of people who don't, so a clarification should certainly be in the manual.

But it's not that difficult, really.

Ok, Jimbo, here's what I believe it is.

AFAIK, "Runs with ball down left" doesn't mean he'll run with the ball down the left. It means that, given a choice between running down the left, the right and the centre, he'll normally choose the left. I may be completely wrong here- someone give Scotham a call...

I think your almost there SCIAG - my interpretation would be that if the player gains possession of the ball he will more often than not head towards the left side of the pitch.

Now because his other PPM is 'stays back at all times' I would presume that he will only go forward when he has the ball, if he is without the ball then he will stay back - but that does not mean he would not pass the ball instead of running with it.

If you know football you should be able to understand them all - but of course the game is played by a lot of people who don't, so a clarification should certainly be in the manual.

But some apply to only some positions. And some such as 'Dictates tempo' isn't exactly specific. How do they dictate tempo? Do they demand the ball constantly or something? Or are they the ones everyone passes to? And 'Stops Play'. Do they hold up the ball for longer than others? 'Likes ball played into feet'. Do they avoid aerial challenges?. 'Likes to beat man repeatedly'. Does he go back and beat him again? Does he wait for him to tackle him again before going past him or something? That's what I mean. They need to clarify those.

Dictates tempo:

If he recieves the ball, he has the ability to change the flow of the game. He could hastily spray a pass somewhere to start a counter attack. Also goes for dribbling, he might be running slowly.. but then he'll increase his dribbling speed causing a surprise attack.

Stops play:

Holds up the ball, would rather kick the ball out for a through if in trouble or if someone's injured.

I believe Dictates Tempo and Stops Play are supposed to be opposites, I'm presuming dictates tempo is the fast one and stops play is the slow one.

Likes ball played to feet:

Pretty much, not as enthusiastic for aerial balls but his team mates will know this and will create a grounded passing game, might be useful for short AMCs and wingers.

Likes to beat man repeatedly:

This means he'll dribble past a number of people in a row, rather than beat just the one and squeeze in a cross. Most dribblers in FM2008 don't even try to beat the man properly, this is one of the few ways of making them do so.

Dictates tempo:

If he recieves the ball, he has the ability to change the flow of the game. He could hastily spray a pass somewhere to start a counter attack. Also goes for dribbling, he might be running slowly.. but then he'll increase his dribbling speed causing a surprise attack.

Stops play:

Holds up the ball, would rather kick the ball out for a through if in trouble or if someone's injured.

I believe Dictates Tempo and Stops Play are supposed to be opposites, I'm presuming dictates tempo is the fast one and stops play is the slow one.

Likes ball played to feet:

Pretty much, not as enthusiastic for aerial balls but his team mates will know this and will create a grounded passing game, might be useful for short AMCs and wingers.

Likes to beat man repeatedly:

This means he'll dribble past a number of people in a row, rather than beat just the one and squeeze in a cross. Most dribblers in FM2008 don't even try to beat the man properly, this is one of the few ways of making them do so.

If those are true and officially that would be useful. The last one seems quite likely though. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Evon View Post

We need to know exactly what the PPM's do. They're confusing. I don't know whether I should get this player tutored because the PPM's are unclear.

That assumes that they all do what they say on the tin. Certainly media comments don't do that so PPMs might not also.

Hammer, nail, head. Again.

SI have a choice: Explain what things do, or not. The lack of explanation of what exactly PPMs do likely means either:

1. they can't be bothered,

2. they assume they are easy to understand, or

3. there is a reason not to explain them having to do with game balance or 'realism'.

I think it's #3. I think the PPMs do make a difference, work specifically, and are not always obvious in how they work, or even in what they are supposed to do. And I don't think we'll ever find out from SI, which although I think I understand, is a little disappointing.

Archived