Contracts vs. Training

I'm about 18 months into a game with Torino and I've just been learning/changing things as I go along. Something's come up I'm not sure about though.

I've been giving my youths FULL-time contracts so they're only available for full training schedules, which is obviously too much for them. Should you really sign them on PART-time contracts so you can give them different training at that young age, whilst still having the protection of a professional contract? Then if required sign them full-time if they're making the grade? Maybe if they're on part-time contracts they'd be cheaper to release too?

Thanks, G.

Pre-contracts are your friends for keeping your young players without giving them a full time contract straight away.

IMO though, more training is only good for them. If you don't want them to do as much you can lower it but I always try to get my young players training on the same schedules as my seniors. I never seen any ill affects of this.

I am of the opinion that the sooner you can get them into full time training the better. They seem to progress better and quicker.

But the people that have put together schedules, like Tig and Darkstarr definately don't recommend that? I'm not saying you're wrong - just the existing school of thought says that'd be too much for youngsters?

I always sign them on full time contracts if I think they have a future at the club. Keep in mind they have to be at least in your reserves in order to have full time training, if they are still in your youth side they will only follow the youth training programme.

The cost of releasing a player relates to their weekly wage, so has nothing to do with being part time or full time. However, part time contracts tend to be for less money than full time contracts anyway.

What you can do is offer them full time contracts, but create a new training schedule for them with less intensity.

But the people that have put together schedules, like Tug and Darkstarr definately don't recommend that? I'm not saying you're wrong - just the existing school of thought says that'd be too much for youngsters?

I've never heard of this but I always use my own schedules. In my experience, more training only does good for them.

Pre-contracts are your friends for keeping your young players without giving them a full time contract straight away.

Is that the same as a part time contract?

IMO though, more training is only good for them. If you don't want them to do as much you can lower it but I always try to get my young players training on the same schedules as my seniors. I never seen any ill affects of this.

Hmmm, OK, that's two people saying get them on full-time training. OK, I just thought you weren't supposed to.

Is that the same as a part time contract?

It's basically a youth contract but it means that no one can poach your player until their 17th birthday. But I don't think under 17s can sign full-time contracts anyway.

Hmmm, OK, that's two people saying get them on full-time training. OK, I just thought you weren't supposed to.

Well, its upto you. If you think it isn't doing them any good, you can always drop the workload to suit them. A full-time contract doesn't mean that they have to be training as hard as the seniors.

I put them on a full-time training schedule also, as soon as I possibly can - using a pre-contract if necessary.

However, I don't use the standard high-intensity stuff for them that I use for my "senior" players. For my youth, I focus a lot more on the physical aspects, with additional emphasis on technique and tactics.

In other words, for a striker it isn't about perfecting his shooting at a young age, its getting his pace and stamina up, working on his Off The Ball runs, Decisions, Anticipation, Technique, etc.

Overall the training schedule is more intense physically but less intense overall.

When it comes to the contracts I only view the youth players that are mentioned in the news for playing well in the U-18 games. If they are showing good potential I may offer them a newer contract and even promote them to my reserves if they are consistant and I need someone in that position.

As for training, I always have my own schedules anyway, for example, my strikers have intense shooting and attacking, light defence etc etc. So If I thought my younger players couldnt keep up the pace I would put them in a schedule that is identical to the senior squad of there position but one notch down.

Archived