Value of a Player

I was wondering how do you value how much a player is worth? Obviously the engine has some sort of original valuation but if a club enquires how much you want for a player how do you work out a decent value? There are indications like squad status and player happiness that are involved but I can't figure out how much I should say I want for a player. 90% of the time clubs say they wont pay that amount but when they do agree I get the feeling I should have said more.

I have trouble deciding this. I tried once setting up a system whereby, for example;

Key players I would ask for 4 times their value

Squad players I would ask for 3 times their value

Backups I would ask for 2 times their value.

Something like that.

I have trouble deciding this. I tried once setting up a system whereby, for example;

Key players I would ask for 4 times their value

Squad players I would ask for 3 times their value

Backups I would ask for 2 times their value.

Something like that.

does this actually work? I tend to find that for back up players that clubs want less than the original value.

I just decide by how important they are, basically when someone asks - I just ask for whatever I feel is right.
Ditto. It may be nice to have a system, but ultimately it's all down to feeling. AI in my experience tends to be a bit cheeky when I'm looking to offload players anyway. I once felt that Anderson wouldn't be getting much/any playing time in the following season, but as he was valued at £20m I decided to sell him on. Put him up for sale, and got a few enquiries or bids (of around £10m) from teams like Real Madrid, Valencia and Roma. I set his asking price to £22.5m and offered him to clubs. Barcelona submitted an offer of £11m in all (£3mill up front and £8mill over 24 months) which I rejected. Inter Milan offered £18mill in all in a similar sort of setup, which was better but still not what I was looking for. Only bloody Porto offered me the £22.5m I was looking for (and they were the only one to offer full payment up front), and Inter were the only other one to put a decent bid on the table.

I use the same system as the AI... 10x their value :p

Seriously though, I just go with my guy instinct. If a player is Indispensable and a star, then 3x their value (for example, Belluschi is worth £8.75m in my Everton save, but I've set an asking price of around £25m). For driftwood, just under their value (e.g. a £3m rated player for £2.2m or something). For most players, I'd be looking at getting £4-7m more than their value.

I wonder how the values are figured in the game... I had two very young centerbacks who played internationally and started for me, and probably 10-15 premier teams were wanting them, and they were valued at only like $200k. Yet, the rest of my starters that didn't have interest in them were valued at 500k or more. If there is a big demand from prem teams for my young starters, shouldn't their value jump a lot?

I am at a loss to explain how value of a player is calculated. I have signed many free agent players that after play for me get their values up. in some cases they go as high as $7-8M but it still had to cash in on their value.

The game seems hardwired to have some players in high demand while other equally good players are never wanted by AI.

The situation get so weird some times. My main striker decided that he was too good for my team and refused to negotiate an extention. I tried to trade (so that i wouldnt loose him for nothing) but found no takers even when i gave him away for free. Eventually his contract expired, and he agreed to negotiate but had ridiculously high wage demand. I let him sit around and half way into next season he signed with me for half the initial wage demand. Meanwhile no other team even bothered to approach him.

Akaz

Bugger. Heh, I got an offer from AC Milan for Paolo De Ceglie, who'd done rather well for me in the 2012/13 season, but they were only offering £11m which I thought was far too low (something like £3.5m up front and £7.5m over 24 months), and I was a touch iffy about selling him anyway. Decided to ask for £7m up front, £15m over 12 months and 50% sell-on clause...and they accepted it. Hmm, to sell a good player and make a bit of cash, or keep him and annoy him because he wanted to move...I've already got Luca Cigarini and Javi Martinez throwing their toys out of the pram because they want new challenges, and I sold Fernando Belluschi mid-season. Going to be spending a small fortune on new midfielders if all of those three go :(

what really annoys me is that you're left with the feeling the AI robbed you blind all too often, whereas there aren't many times that you can have the last laugh.

the way i try to increase the amount I get is by adding international appearances, sell on clause and monthly installments. quite often a club won't pay 5mil, but will if it's over 12/24 months. this way, I ended up getting 22mil for steven defour, after buying him for 3mil, playing him 17 times, selling him in 2008. it wasn't until 2013 that i got all my money, but it's worth waiting for.

I generally value a player by judging how much it would cost me to replace him with a similar player, and then adding £10m :D

For youth i generally value them depending on potential; and how much it would cost me to buy someone of that ability.

AI seems to like offering a figure of 1.5 times the player value if it is a key player, but I rarely want to sell any of my key players for that low. If I don't want to sell the player then I ask for a ridiculous amount and then if they offer it I get tee'd off, but generally the chairman will accept on my behalf anyway so I have no chance to change my mind!

If I am happy to sell the player I just pluck a value out of the sky and see what the response is, then lower it a little if they don't want to pay that much...and often end up losing out on a deal altogether!

AI seems to like offering a figure of 1.5 times the player value if it is a key player, but I rarely want to sell any of my key players for that low.
"Rarely"? I'd never want to sell key players for that low, if I'm even wanting to sell them at all. Depending on just how expensive they are, I'd be looking for 2-3x their value (e.g. I mentioned Paolo De Ceglie already in this thread, he was valued at £8.75m and I sold him for £22m + 50% sell-on, which is around 2.5x his value plus the clause tagged onto it which would hopefully get me even more cash down the line)
I generally value a player by judging how much it would cost me to replace him with a similar player, and then adding £10m :D
Oh God, I could never do that. I'd either never sell my players or I'd be nowhere near maximising my profits.

if they are good, offer to clubs for some high amount (no upfront, all in 24 months, 50% sell-on). If no hits, decrease by 1 million and offer again. repeat until you get a few offers. Then, take the first club offer and re-negotiate and bump up the price (usually if it is a big club I'll raise the cash up a lot). Always keep a number you want to sell at in mind. Usually the team, once invested in the bid and seeing other teams bidding, will go for the increased amount. If that new offer is accepted then you can use that new bid as a starting point. Find the next biggest club to offer and then raise the amount over the top of you new high standard. If that is rejected, you can fall back on the offer that was accepted. Save one from the initial round of offers so that if all your new 'increased' offers are rejected at least you'll have one you can accept or wait until the winter window to try again.

Usually if the player is decent, they may be listed at 3milllion and you can sell for 4-5X or more. Depends on when you do it (winter vs. early/late summer) and who is interested. Obviously you can milk more out of chelski than you would some euro squad.

If you stick to this type of selling for all sales, the zero upfront is mitigated by having cash coming in every month for 2 years at only an initial penalty until you get going but the ai seems to accept large bids if zero upfront and 24month span, instead of setting high upfront amounts. Try to get at least three hits with this method. That way you have 2 to increase and one fallback.

this is a system which requires guile, skill, and no knowledge of football whatsoever. ive got an SI system. heres how it works-

1. if the player your selling is a player who is one of your best then triple the price. wait to see who wants him. if its a club sh*ttier than you (no abuse or cybor bulling intended) then lower your price below the asking one by loads. they will still refuse to buy him. dont sell.

2. the crap FM rule is that you have to bid waaay over the players value for a player you target who isnt for sale, but they can offer you a paultry sum for your best players who aint for sale. good one SI. my advice is dont sell.

3. if your buying a player who is good in real life but is over 30 then wait 2 weeks till hes obsolete by the club and then bid. or not. he'll be free soon anyway. and crap. dont buy.

4. never take heed of the "negotiable" tick box. because its a joke. eg, when a team offers you £100k for a player and you ask for £110 they refuse. its over. no negotiating. finished. thanks again SI. again. dont sell.

5.try and sell players at all. nobody wants them in FMs world. ive lost count of the amount of players who have run down their contracts at all ages. as if players are so fickle? of course they want to play football and of course lower league teams want to sign them!

sort it out SI!

never managed it on FM08 but back on FM07 i was manageing Motherwell who where strullging in division one when i took charge turned David Clarkson into a goal machine and he was valued at 500K. Celitc bid i didnt think i could replace him so asked for £10million and got it.

Amazingly i replaced him with an 18 year old regen from Rangers for 100k he turned into a goal machine and i returned similar bids from abroad. I sold and then FM08 came out. Never managed it on 08 tho.

I was wondering how do you value how much a player is worth? Obviously the engine has some sort of original valuation but if a club enquires how much you want for a player how do you work out a decent value? There are indications like squad status and player happiness that are involved but I can't figure out how much I should say I want for a player. 90% of the time clubs say they wont pay that amount but when they do agree I get the feeling I should have said more.

Following along Branden's rantsicle, here's how I see the Murphy's Laws of FM08 Player Values:

1. If a player may be a big contributor to your side, expect to pay 5x retail.

2. If you're getting bored of a player and may never play them again, buy him a desk because he's not going anywhere.

3. If you really need cash from a transfer, expect your negotiation to fail and the bidding club to walk away.

Archived