Aging players

Gecko

Natural fitness, ambition, determination and professionalism help. But not a lot.

Also by 30+ the amount of CA they lose for not playing a few games is insane. So it quickly snowballs.

Player is nearing 30. You buy young replacement. You play youngster in a couple of games to blood them, old one loses some CA. Put the old one back in and he's not as good. So you drop him for someone else. He loses more.

Very very quickly he's decidedly average at 31 or 32 and you're stuck with a few over 30s who will never get in your team but believe themselves far too good to go elsewhere. Or retire. Or do anything but suck up a huge wage and a spot in the reserves.

VB

I just tend to try keep an eye on when their contracts run out... then if no1 gets interested but you wouldn't mind keepin em you wait till they have like 1 months contract left then u can offer them really low paid deals! eg im in 2013 and Raul who is considerin bein a coach i have been doing this and he is now only on £1,700 a week :) would probs be around 40k if i had been givin him contracts earlier!

At least there is tutoring.

I'm betting that this will be better in FM09 since we've now heard that the regen and player-progression systems have been specifically addressed for differing plateaus and progressions through the career of the player. Surely this would be one of the top 5 issues addressed in those changes? I think so.

It´s a big fat game stopper, and accoring to replies in the tread in the bugs forum it has been "looked into" for FM09.

i agree. it is a total joke the alarming decline of over 30 players. in my second season (2008/9) at bradford, sol cambell and david james were both on the transfer list for next to nothing & eager to sign for me! my average scout thought the would be, "decent signings" for a league 1 team. not realistic in the slightest.

i agree. it is a total joke the alarming decline of over 30 players. in my second season (2008/9) at bradford, sol cambell and david james were both on the transfer list for next to nothing & eager to sign for me! my average scout thought the would be, "decent signings" for a league 1 team. not realistic in the slightest.

Nope, not realistic at all. This is what I wrote in the other tread:

Old players in FM08 get crappy way too fast. In my current game, I am in november 2008. The following players are transfer listed and in the reserves in their teams (just to mention a few of them):

Paul Scholes

Gary Neville

Ryan Giggs

Mark Viduka

David James

Kieron Dyer

Sami Hypiää

Pavel Nedved

Alessandro Del Piero

Vincenso Montella

Paolo Mondnini

Emerson

Francesco Toldo

Alvaro Recoba

Also, players like Sol Campbell, Nicky Butt, Hernan Crespo, Filippo Inzaghi and Olivier Dacourt are free transfered and unemployed.

Here´s the tread, by the way: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=12401

In my latest save, Milan let Maldini leave at the end of the first season. I signed him for Reading, and used him as a sub at the end of matches to tighten the defence. His attributes went up, and he retired with 14/12 pace/accel, 19/19/20 tackling, marking and positioning, and god like mental attributes. Legend.

One of the most annoying things in the game in my opinion.

Currently Im playing as Real Madrid, and I have Fabio Cannavaro. He was excellent in the first season, my best defender in fact. But come the start of the second season and his pace and stamina (to name just 2 stats) have dropped to 8 and 9 respectively, and he is barely useable.

There are various players that this happens to, and it is pointless naming them all. But just name 2, look at Paolo Maldini. He is still playing and infact made 23 appearances last season, (not back for a 39/40 year old), and Gary Speed who has just turned 39, is playing week-in week-out for Championship side Sheffield United.

One hopes this is sorted soon. I hate watching legends of the game get put on the transfer list/released only to turn up at Hereford for a season.

One type of player i find that doesnt decline are goalies. I've had numerous 35+ goalies for my Liverpool premiership winning team and i find they are a much safer option than some of the younger ones. I find that until they retire they dont really lose many stats at all apart from pace/acceleration, but these arent fundamental to a goalie anyway. Also, when i checked them in FMM, they had full CA, even at ages 38-39. Of course, once you stop playing them they drop VERY quickly, but if you contantly give them game time the age decline rate is really quite acceptable.

This needs sorting out for 09 . In 08 , whenever i was a BSN/S team , players like Stubbs and Pollit were intrested in joining me ( season 08.09) IMO this is not realsitic .

You wouldn't believe how good Sibierski is in BSN after just one season! Craziness.

In my second season (on another save) I had Shevchenko, Crespo, Campbell, Thuram, Zanetti, Gilberto Silva all playing for a Championship team! (All bought for less than £0.75m each (75k in Sheva's case)).

As proven when I got promoted, Shevchenko could still cut it in the Premier League, scoring regularily. Seems bizarre at times.

Also by 30+ the amount of CA they lose for not playing a few games is insane. So it quickly snowballs.

Oh! Is that it?

Oddly, I hadn't figured that out yet .. was trying different combinations of training, etc.

So its those of us who do a lot of rotation and especially try blooding our youngsters regularly who are going to experience this the most.

Sounds like that ought to be a fairly easy fix.

Archived