Forgive Me... Is Too Much FM a Bad Thing?

I sit here, approaching my 22nd birthday, watching an episode of Family Guy I've seen a thousand times, and having exhausted my DVD collection. Forgive me father, but I fear what I am about to say I fear is wickedly sinful.

After graduating from uni, I enjoyed a summer temp job before being laid off last month. I've recently been offered a new job, starting next month, that even a monkey would be over-qualified for. "Great", I thought to myself. "Football Manager will keep me occupied". A week later, and I can't bare to click on the evil icon, mockingly blinking at me from behind the defences of the screen. I've managed a couple of games, but being able to session them 7-8 hours a day just seems to make me lose interest much quicker, and I've barely been able to make it past the first season. It seems I miss the mundane hours at work, imagining what tactics I might play that evening, or whether that 34 yr old no-hoper from Shrewsbury is worth signing.

Tonight, as I turned down invitations of a much-needed ****-up in town, I fired up Football Manager with hopes of success with fallen minnows, Oldham. I agonised over the set-up of my team, taking my time over each decision. Then, disaster struck. As I inched the pointer towards the continue button, cursing my laptop as it laboured over the hefty memory requirements, I lifted a steaming cup of tea to my lips. Alas, my hand clipped the corner of my laptop and I spilt tea into the keyboard, causing a lockup and thus losing my hard work. I just can't face restarting.

And so I sit here, wondering if I've overdosed on Football Manager. Or is it a case of, as the great Oscar Wilde once said; "When a man is tired of Football Manager, he is tired of life"?

Is it truly possible, that you can indeed indulge in too much Football Manager?

Rubbish dreaming about the game is a great thing! Don't get me wrong, I have a life, but at the moment with no job, no money and a girlfriend and friends working I have little alternative as the only entertainment I can afford is the free kind!

Playing FM for 8 hours a day isn't that bad. Still leaves you 16 hours a day to do other things

There are people out there who spend 20 hours a day playing warcraft and other online RPGs. There have been reports of people actually dying from playing games for days on end without sleep. That's when you need to worry

Archived