THE Most Annoying Thing in FM08 That Must Stop!

There are too many games in which having a goalkeeper is just a complete and total waste of time!

Just played an average Man U side at Old Trafford with my all-conquering Bolton side. I have the best defence in the Premiership and lead by 8 points at the half way stage. Man U have 9 shots at goal to our 23. Result 7-4 to Man U!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Every shot on goal whizzes passed my "World-Class" keeper having scythed through my "World Class" defence.

Get real guys!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just had one of those games. I have a superb side in the blue square south that would do well in league 2, anyway i am romping away with the league when this happens.

I could tell Lewes were going to win, as their poor strikers kept scoring amazing goals, including two 25 yard efforts from their striker with a long shot value of 5.

Not too bothered really though as it doesn't happen often.

Its basically just the game saying your going to lose this game.

kome7oq7sruloll4424.jpg

I hear this thread is sponsored by Mario Gomez and Luca Toni

Get over it. It happens in real life, maybe not as often, but the game needs to be kept realistic. You want the game to let you score every shot you have? Ok well im sure SI will make it so that happens, and then you can come back complaining that its too easy. Face it your never gonna be satisfied so why not go marry your sister on Fifa Manager. :)

I understand the frustration.

When this happens in your favour I expect we pass this off. What would be interesting is a test to see how many times a season this happens and tally up when its in your favour or the oppositions. We do see results every saturday in real life like this but assume they balance out

You DID actually READ the point that it happens TOO OFTEN and then come up with utter rubbish like "get over it"???

Yes Matt that's exactly the type of game.

As for happening in real life it has only happened to me ONCE in TEN years. We were 2-0 up at halftime and coasting and then in the 2nd half the opposition had 7 shots and scored all of them. My quality keeper didn't have a chance with any of them and we lost 2-7.

Assumption is mother of all.... :D

Anyhow VERY rarely does this happen in my favour. I wish I had the time to print out a full season's stats on this.

It didn't happen if you don't have pictures :D

Exactly how often does this happen?

You DID actually READ the point that it happens TOO OFTEN and then come up with utter rubbish like "get over it"???

Yes Matt that's exactly the type of game.

As for happening in real life it has only happened to me ONCE in TEN years. We were 2-0 up at halftime and coasting and then in the 2nd half the opposition had 7 shots and scored all of them. My quality keeper didn't have a chance with any of them and we lost 2-7.

Did you have the best defence in the premiership, or does it happen too often?

Can't have this both ways mate.

Its your tactics! (just had to get that in before the manic defenders of SI get here)

Yes, it does happen all too often that every shot goes in, I once went on a run where I allowed 7 shots in 6 games and they all went in. I still won the games but it was unrealistic unless my great goalie was blind

If I conceeded 2 goals in 2 shots, i'd be pretty demoralised. Wouldn't you?

That'd probably lead to me having a pretty terrible game all around.

Plus if you won a game where you conceeded 7, you must have made a hell of a lot of chances.

Guess what? Making those chances also left you wide open at the back.

I agree it does probably happen too often, however, had that sort of game last night, decided early in game that it was going to be that sort of game 1 shot 1 goal, and so switched to my SUS tactic - Plan B damage limitation, and came back for a 4-4 draw.

Sometimes you wonder if the attribute systems works other way round and we should be buying forwards with 1 finishing.

If I conceeded 2 goals in 2 shots, i'd be pretty demoralised. Wouldn't you?

That'd probably lead to me having a pretty terrible game all around.

Plus if you won a game where you conceeded 7, you must have made a hell of a lot of chances.

Guess what? Making those chances also left you wide open at the back.

No, I meant I conceded 7 goals over 6 games and only allowed 7 shots on goal in those 6 games combined.

Now my tactics must be pretty good to restrict the chances that much so the game must compensate by making the opposition score with every half chance.

I usually need 2-3 times as many shots to score a goal in FM as the opposite team does, regardless of tactics, players, home avantage, and whatever. The "supergoalie"-bug/issue/feature has been a part of the CM/FM-series for so long I no longer care. If I feel the result is way too crazy I simply use the good ol´ ctrl-alt-del and the pain is gone.

I've been having this alot, especially in the 2020's. A definite bug. I know that it happens in real life, but the AI has given itself around 90% goals per shots on target for the past 20 games in my current Real Madrid job.

Proof??????

I've just developed a new tactic with Arsenal that is fantastic in theory - a lot of short passing, slow tempo. It means we have 70% possession in every game and in EVERY ONE of the seven games I have had so far, at half time the opposition hasn't had a single shot. However, in four of those games, they had ONE second-half shot AND SCORED IT, and in one, the opposition had two second-half shots and scored both. So in seven games, I have hardly allowed any shots, yet conceded every single one. Something very strange is happening.

I've just developed a new tactic with Arsenal that is fantastic in theory - a lot of short passing, slow tempo. It means we have 70% possession in every game and in EVERY ONE of the seven games I have had so far, at half time the opposition hasn't had a single shot. However, in four of those games, they had ONE second-half shot AND SCORED IT, and in one, the opposition had two second-half shots and scored both. So in seven games, I have hardly allowed any shots, yet conceded every single one. Something very strange is happening.

What's your goalkeeper's concentration?

If you aren't called on all game, it's easy to lapse and then not be ready when the chances come.

I've been having this alot, especially in the 2020's. A definite bug. I know that it happens in real life, but the AI has given itself around 90% goals per shots on target for the past 20 games in my current Real Madrid job.

No. It. Hasn't.

The AI is not one thing. The match engine and the AI managers are separate entities. The ME does not know which team is AI managed and which is human managed. Now drop the conspiracy.

Proof??????
No. It. Hasn't.

The AI is not one thing. The match engine and the AI managers are separate entities. The ME does not know which team is AI managed and which is human managed. Now drop the conspiracy.

The ME?

Ok, i'll drop the conspiracy you claim I was talking about - i've seen the light!

The fact it happens so much to me was a major annoyance, especially given the quality of my strikers vs theirs (same with GKs). The AI strikers scoring around 1/1 goals would be Championship quality at best, and my strikers, despite having the space to score more, would hit it straight at the keeper or put the ball anywhere but where the goal would be.

I'm not crying or anything, just to pre-empt your next response. It's just very frustrating.

I could post 20+ sceenshots to prove it, but i'm not really fussed if a stranger over the internet doesn't believe me.

Ok, so I'll carry on to disbelieve because once again someone claims that the AI gets an advantage over us yet fails to provide proof. I don't mean to be rude but people always exagerate then put that over as fact yet when asked for proof, never ever show it.

If you really want it changing its upto you to prove it, not for me but for SI who can then remedy it.

There are alot of people who do experiments to prove something is wrong. I did one on the lack of quality regens as others have and you know something? SI haved tried to fix it for 09.

Before the forum move, I created a thread that detailed the results for half a season, in which I felt I was battering teams but losing 1 or 2 nil to 3 or 4 shots. The results astounded me, and It was actually my team that had higher shots / goal and SOT / goal ratios. I was amazed, because it felt the other way around. Unfortunately, the thread was purged in the move and is no longer around

and ME = Match Engine. fwiw.

Before the forum move, I created a thread that detailed the results for half a season, in which I felt I was battering teams but losing 1 or 2 nil to 3 or 4 shots. The results astounded me, and It was actually my team that had higher shots / goal and SOT / goal ratios. I was amazed, because it felt the other way around. Unfortunately, the thread was purged in the move and is no longer around

and ME = Match Engine. fwiw.

Thats a shame about it being purged. Would have been an interesting read.

I was testing last night with a quick narrow tactic 18 competitive games

Opposition SOT 24 Goals 5

Arsenal SOT 175 Goals 47

However I still lost away to Newcastle

Newcastle SOT 2 Goals 2

Arsenal SOT 9 Goals 1

Same tactic last 18 competitive games with Oxford in BSP

Opposition SOT 35 Goals 16

Oxford SOT 86 Goals 37

Confirms Nepenthez original stats

quick narrow tactic 18 competitive games

W17D0L1

Opposition SOT 24 Goals 5 OFF TARGET 30

Arsenal SOT 175 Goals 47 OFF TARGET 195

slow wide tactic 18 competitive games

W16D2L0

Opposition SOT 55 Goals 15 OFF TARGET 46

Arsenal SOT 166 Goals 48 OFF TARGET 206

The AI made 2 GK mistakes closed down so not unforced

Arsenal 1mistake lack of concentration late in game

Opposition had 1 late goal from 424 2 form Freekicks

Arsenal 1 late goal from Freekicks and 1 late Pen

i find this is common in all football games, whether it be FM or FIFA. I think it's the games way of keeping the score even.

i agree it is annoying, and since i play possesion football i do have a lot more chances than the AI, but sadly you just have to cop it on the chin.

Last night I was playing a game i'd forgotten about (a small Brazilian team), in 3 games we had more than twice their SOT and i finished with a 1-1-1 record, it's a part of the game that you just have to learn to work with unfortunetly. (just like a transfer system & work permit hell!)

I just beat Bolton away with my Newcastle side 5-1. I had 6 attemps on target, they had 14 and 60% possesion.

Oh and two of those goals were 25 yeard screamers from Andy Carrol ..... who has a long shot rating of 8.

I think the AI came on here and whinged but his thread got closed.

would you complain if you had the 3 shots and you had 30 and won 2-0.

i bet you wouldn't

I just beat Bolton away with my Newcastle side 5-1. I had 6 attemps on target, they had 14 and 60% possesion.

Oh and two of those goals were 25 yeard screamers from Andy Carrol ..... who has a long shot rating of 8.

I think the AI came on here and whinged but his thread got closed.

Single incidents, come back when it happens 5 to 10 times in a row and then youll have some evidence more than a fluke.

You don t have any evidence either yet Philly flyer, im sure if you give us some people would be eager to sort it out. Currently it doesnt seem like a problem to me as people have shown a. it happens in RL more often than you think i bet because you rarely look at the stats from a rl footy match and b. it happens to the AI and you except you dont notice when its you because you're not looking for why you lost :)

Single incidents, come back when it happens 5 to 10 times in a row and then youll have some evidence more than a fluke.

I'm still waiting for evidence to prove this 'problem' exists (the AI having better shots to goal ratio).

You're asking for proof that it doesn't happen and that the human can take advantage but you haven't provided anything to prove the opposite. Alot of people claim the AI does this all the time, like 25 times a season yet never ever prove it.

You don t have any evidence either yet Philly flyer, im sure if you give us some people would be eager to sort it out. Currently it doesnt seem like a problem to me as people have shown a. it happens in RL more often than you think i bet because you rarely look at the stats from a rl footy match and b. it happens to the AI and you except you dont notice when its you because you're not looking for why you lost :)
I'm still waiting for evidence to prove this 'problem' exists (the AI having better shots to goal ratio).

You're asking for proof that it doesn't happen and that the human can take advantage but you haven't provided anything to prove the opposite. Alot of people claim the AI does this all the time, like 25 times a season yet never ever prove it.

I always look at the stats if Im not at a game, Ive yet to see any team concede on 6 shots in a row over 6 or 7 games. I would also see if it happened to me because I wouldnt believe my luck, its happened 1 or 2 times since the original CM for me where the ai had 10+ shots and I managed to get a result with my only shot on target.

Im not going to waste time reinstalling the game to prove it to you, if I had screens shots of it, youd just say it was my tactic rather than admit you were wrong.

I dont have the game installed any more and its a repeated gripe with the game so that would suggest its in fact true unless you think dozens of different people are making things up just for the fun of it.

I don't mean to sound rude, but once again someone who claims it exists, cannot come up with the proof.

Here is my view on it.

It may happen a tad more than it does IRL, but I don't think for one minute it consistently happens 5-10 times in a row. I maybe have 3 or 4 games a season where this happens but I've also had it in my favour when I'm a smaller team.

The human mind tends to creates patterns that aren't there. I made the same mistake once, when you get drawn in the cup in the later stages it always seemed to be with a team you are about to play in the league. So, I went about proving this - all I did was prove that it didn't happen as often as I thought.

When people play so many seasons as they do in FM, you are going to see this alot and that gives a distorted view of how many times it happens. People will make that pattern, but when looking for proof, will realise that it doesn't happen as often as they think it does.

Thats my view on it, and without proof from people like yourself who say they see it so often, my opinion won't change.

Archived