The Gentle Art of Selling Players

Okay, here's the issue:

I'm coming up on the January window of my current save and I've got a reserve squad that is approximately twice as large as it needs to be (it's got over thirty players on it from the previous AI management).

The problem is that I can't give these players away. I've got about half my reserve squad transfer-listed or listed for loan and make these players available to other clubs frequently (I did it in the August window too, resulting in the sale of exactly one player for 40 percent of his listed 5 million GBP value - and he wasn't even on my reserve team).

Offers I get, even for cut prices, are accepted but then fall through due to "won't sign because he doesn't like his squad role", and the ever-popular "club can't afford the transfer". Meanwhile, clubs are certain to make unwanted approaches for my senior players who are performing well. This is an ongoing frustration - the bloated reserve squad is not one player smaller than it was at the start of the season.

Tactically, I've been frankly fortunate and the club is doing quite well. It would be a shame to have it all go up in a puff of smoke in January and see my good players go and the dross on the reserves stay. Who is skilled in the "Art of the Deal" and can give some advice?

Cheers to all.

Try and offload them to clubs on loan if you can't sell them. There is no magic wand you can shake to get rid of your shocking players unfortunately, if you really want rid, you will have to offer them at a really discount price.

Very tricky to sell reserve players! You're bst chance of selling anyone is if you offer you're players out at 0 and put they're status as "not needed by club" and then when you get bids reject them all and offer them for 100k, keep doing this and upping the bids until the offers run out :)

Still very hard

Frankly, tenthreeleader, this is not a balanced part of the transfer / shortlist module at present, and hopefully will be fixed in FM09. Your complaint is quite common, so there is that at least!

I used to be quite skilled at transfers (FM06, 07), but not FM08.

I suppose if you are desperate for a bit of balance you could create another manager at a wealthy club and have him buy your players, then get rid of him. Never done that though.

Only thing that has mildly worked for me is to get those reserves playing 70% + of first team games for a good 1/2 season and hope they get the 'unwanted approach' approach, to which you can then say "Damn, well I guess I have to listen to any offers" :) But is inconsistent and requires quality reservists of course.

use my technique : when a player i want to sell is offered a contract by another club i offer him a new contract which is ridiculous like no money or the less i can gave him, the lowest squad role and etc ohh and release clasue the biggest there is like 200 million euros

they don't accept such contract so they accept the other clubs contract usually it works but if not just keep trying with my worst player i had to do this 3-4 times but them he left

Appreciated advice, gents. Smac, I can't see myself creating another manager to buy the guys I can't get rid of, but your second idea might be workable in a few cases. DrEdweird, any fee would be better than keeping them on my books - may try that. Suge, I'm trying to loan without success. But will keep trying!

One useful thing I have employed in the past for that 'deadwood' is to offer them a new contract of a shorter duration than what they currently have remaining and at a lower wage.

This doesnt necessarily help you actually ship them out the door immediately, but at least means you can release them sooner and they have a lesser impact on your wage bill.

Only works regularly for older players though I find.

its next to impossible to sell mediocre players. even for free. very annoying. then they won't agree to a mutual termination because they want to fight for a place in the team even though you transfer listed them last year and they haven't played a single match in the first team for 3 years. so annoying.

i fine them randomly and for no reason, not because it helps but because i hate them

Archived