Easily the Weirdest Retirement Ever - A Bug Perhaps ?

el sid

( First of all, I m manager of Holland in a new game i started 8.0.2 )

Edwin Van Der Sar. A goalkeeper of great standards and a servant of Dutch football for years.

Anyway, I took control of Holland, qualified to the Euro's. Got a easy group and easily went into the group stages. Beat Portugal in the quarter finals and then defeated Italy on penalties in the final. The whole country is ecstatic that i got them into the Final. Van der Sar was the penalty saving hero, saving 2 penalties.

2 days before the Final. I get a message saying Van der Sar has decided to retire from international football. I thought, " Oh how realistic FM is ?! Van der Sar retired after the Euro s IRL too".

Match day. I go on to team selection. My team is already weakened by the loss of Van der Vaart to injury and Robben to suspension. And there I am. What do i find ? Instead, what do i not find ? You guessed it ! Edwin Van der Sar. He had already retired !!

Why would someone, who is the captain of the national team and the starting goalkeeper for all the matches played so far, retire suddenly days before the most important game of his life ? After all these years, Holland were in sight of International fame and the captain retires BEFORE the game ?! And no, he was not injured when he retired.

This baffled me.

Any explanations ??

EDIT : If anyone s interested, I did win the Euro s beating Turkey in the final. Stekelenburg was the goalkeeper for the match.

What age is he in your game? Maybe he's decided that he's too old to play at that level. I have him at Man Utd and even though he's still got a few years left since he's only 36 which is not bad for a goalie I've replaced him with a younger man.

What age is he in your game? Maybe he's decided that he's too old to play at that level. I have him at Man Utd and even though he's still got a few years left since he's only 36 which is not bad for a goalie I've replaced him with a younger man.

Are you suggesting it's coded into the game for players to be able to decide on the eve of a big final that they are too old for the level?

"Are you suggesting it's coded into the game for players to be able to decide on the eve of a big final that they are too old for the level?"

IF that is so, then surely it HAS to be removed. !

PS - The "Quote" Function not working for some reason. So i had to copy paste what he said.

There was a guy who started a thread about this a few months back. In his case, it was David James.

happened in my game with James too. as mentioned above, the game takes the "end of season" into account rather than "end of tournament", but it shouldn't happen like that. i've not tried, but can you ask a player to reconsider international retirement when this happens?

The issue is as Rinso mentioned it; that the season "finishes" on a certain date. On that date all the calculations are made on international retirements etc. Unfortunately, that date was right before your final. Not a bug as such, but it clearly should be changed.

Are you suggesting it's coded into the game for players to be able to decide on the eve of a big final that they are too old for the level?

Possibly. It wouldn't be the first odd bug in FM2008 would it?

Possibly. It wouldn't be the first odd bug in FM2008 would it?

Yeah, but you said 'perhaps he's decided he's too old to play at that level'. Or words very close to that.

But we can categorically rule that out unless it is in the game for a player to know a big final is coming up, and then decide he is too old for it and subsequently retire.

The only reason van der Sar retired is as the others have been saying. The game saw that it was the end of season, and that was when van der Sar chose to retire. It had nothing to do with the fact a final was coming up that he thought was a level too high for him.

i think i can beat that for weirdest retirement! i had a regen in my old FM 07 game called Leanardo when i was manager of Milan. I signed him for 3 million of some local team (aged 19) and he scored 20 goals in his first season... next season started well scoring 10 in 8 games, then he announced he would retire on his 20th birthday! i offered him a new contract, asked him to reconsider... but he retired on the day of his 20th birthday! he was gonna be a good regen as well! has this ever happened to anyone else?

Dom

"Are you suggesting it's coded into the game for players to be able to decide on the eve of a big final that they are too old for the level?"

IF that is so, then surely it HAS to be removed. !

PS - The "Quote" Function not working for some reason. So i had to copy paste what he said.

Use the quote.gif

yep happend with me when i was England paul robinson got injured in the semis and david james retierd on the day of the final and could nt play him had to put beckham in goals and lost 6-1 to spaiin

That is actually pretty funny.

Perhaps his wife was kidnapped by the turkish mafia. It was the only way he could think of to get her back without conceeding a dozen goals in the final?

Seriously, anyone trying to say this could be as intended is overly apologetic for SI. Yes, a lot of things may be "as intended" even though people moan. But this? I can't think of a single reason why a player would retire the day before the biggest game of their career. After, sure. But before?

That'd be like Zidane retiring before the last world cup final. Possible, sure. Likely? Yeah right...

Archived