pc spec help

ddoth

Two answers to that question. Firstly, yes, without any doubt. Any Intel Core 2 Duo will hammer the Celeron processor into the dirt and you'll see a considerable leap in performance (Fm is quite simply, processor and ram intensive).

However, before you rush out to buy, your current processor (Intel Celeron D 340 / 2.93 GHz) is a Socket 478 processor. Intel dual-core processors- which is what you want- are Socket 775. Which basically means they're incompatible; so you'd need a new motherboard as well. Still, its more than possible and easier than you'd imagine, but probably not what you were initially thinking of I'd guess?

Also, you make reference to the very basic 1.6 ghz intel dual core (Intel Celeron Dual Core E1200, Socket 775, 1.6GHz?).

Dont confuse this with anything to do with the Core 2 Duo; they are a completely different family and you won't see anything like the performance gains you'd be expecting.

But seeing as you were thinking of just spending £32 on that, and the worst Core 2 Duo is still £100 its a big leap in budget before youve even got to the motherboard. The cheapest way to get a big leap in performance at the moment for you would be to go the AMD route- but thats a different story.

Two answers to that question. Firstly, yes, without any doubt. Any Intel Core 2 Duo will hammer the Celeron processor into the dirt and you'll see a considerable leap in performance (Fm is quite simply, processor and ram intensive).

However, before you rush out to buy, your current processor (Intel Celeron D 340 / 2.93 GHz) is a Socket 478 processor. Intel dual-core processors- which is what you want- are Socket 775. Which basically means they're incompatible; so you'd need a new motherboard as well. Still, its more than possible and easier than you'd imagine, but probably not what you were initially thinking of I'd guess?

Also, you make reference to the very basic 1.6 ghz intel dual core (Intel Celeron Dual Core E1200, Socket 775, 1.6GHz?).

Dont confuse this with anything to do with the Core 2 Duo; they are a completely different family and you won't see anything like the performance gains you'd be expecting.

But seeing as you were thinking of just spending £32 on that, and the worst Core 2 Duo is still £100 its a big leap in budget before youve even got to the motherboard. The cheapest way to get a big leap in performance at the moment for you would be to go the AMD route- but thats a different story.

thanks for the help

my motherboard is a Asus p5s800-vm/s which i think has a lga 775 socket.... the basic dual core i was talking about was the Intel Pentium Dual-Core 1.8 E2140 which is just a budget £50. will this be better then the intel celeron d 2.93? . The core 2 duo's are a bit pricey seen as im upgrading just to improve my fm experience nothing else

Yes, it will be better. Dual Core is just a good processor to dual thread your game.

However, just as important, is your memory. You need to combine Dual Core with DDR2 memory. FM uses a lot of memory so make sure there is enough to play with!

Ahhh.. okay then: all is good :)... and the benchmarks on that chip dont look too shabby either. Definitely worth a punt.

And as the man says ^; try and put 2gb of ram on the board that the ASUS_P5S800_VM can take; it'll make a big difference to the size of database you can run. Be sure to get DDR though (not DDR2). With the price of ram being as low as it is, it'd be daft not to.

"Compatible Processors: Pentium 4, Celeron D"

Are you sure that a Core 2 Duo processor will fit in the motherboard mentioned above?

If not, you need to buy a new motherboard in order to let it run with the Core 2 Duo. And buy new memory modules since they work with DDR2 now and you are currently using older modules, DDR.

It can be a pain in the ... sometimes.

As for getting DDR or DDR2, here in Holland, DDR is more expensive than DDR2 lol. It's getting old!

Its not worth upgrading to a pentium 4.

when the results of the league im in are simulating it takes like 12 secs to do each result on my intel celeron d as apose to 6-7 secs on my bros 1.7ghz intel centrino... not much difference but accumulate that and the celeron is left tailing

Archived