How do you build your team

wardog

Ok when you start to get your touch on your club side where do you look to sign for first.

Do you like the winger approch, where you like to use quick attacks down the flanks to rip open you opponent.

How about a big bulky pair of center back who just laugh at punnie strikers when the come charging.

Sign that awsome goalscorer with the attitude of if i score more than the AI ill win.

Or a powerhouse midfielder with the ability to pull all the strings and cause huge problems with you opponets.

I personally like to start in the central of the Midfield ive always had the attitude that thats where a game is won or lost 90% of the time, i follow it with a physical presance at the back just so i can really on someone if the midfield has an off day and there after i look for that all important goalscorer to finish off the moves the Midfield dyamo creates for him.

depnds on what team im managing really... i tend to like to take the whole squad apart and start from scratch though! not many players stay at the club if im taking over. i like to make my mark on em!!

If I manage a big club, which I am currently doing, I find I don't really have to build a team. Here's why. I'm in August 2011 with Man. United and only two of my strongest starting eleven don't currently play for United in real life, and one of those is a goalkeeper. My point? I don't need to build a team because it's already built. Probably sounds boring to a lot of you, but what I've really enjoyed has been getting my back-up players sorted and building a core of young talent that will emerge as the current generation start to fade.

I usually start from the front and work backwards. Keeping clean sheets doesn't win games you still need to score, if I can get a good striker in i'll be confident of scoring more goals than I concede, whereas if I start with the defence i'll have to focus on not conceding :D It makes sense to me.

Depends on what I already have, really...

If I have an all-round mediocre team I'll start to look after great midfielders first, who are competent in both defensive and attacking aspects. Other than that I hate having a weak back-line... You can enhance your attacking part with the help of a great tactic, but the defense have got to be solid and reliable. Working on creating goals are pointless if your letting just as many in, so on a tight budget I'd rather enhance defense and play on whatever strengths I have in attacking.

I used to go for the Neil Warnock approach of signing 27 strikers just to make absolutely sure I have enough potential firepower, but nowadays I tend to play formations with just 1 upfront so I'm not so big on having boatloads of unhappy strikers.

The 3 main clubs I've managed in FM I've gone about in different ways.

At Hibs I sold most of my senior and foreign players and bought in a load of Scottish U21 players and a few slightly older Scots. Then I tapped into the cheap Slovenian market to sign a few further players and a Hungarian playmaker, but mostly I was looking for a young Scottish squad.

At Fiorentina I was looking to go mostly Italian, but I could only do that to an extent because Italian players of the quality needed for a top 4 Serie A club are hard to sign and expensive so I had to add a few foreigners too.

At Werder Bremen I signed a few random players first season, but 2nd season I identified 1 man that I wanted, when I found he was available, and spent all my cash on him because I wanted 2 worldclass AMCs for my formation. Then I scratted around selling players I didn't 100% need to fund moves for other positions I needed to fill. Thankfully I managed to fill all those positions despite blowing my initial budget on one player. Had I not done I wouldn't have regretted it though - I wanted Riquelme and didn't care if I had to play donkeys at fullback!

Archived