Better use of substitutes in matches not in full detail

First of all, I do not own FM08 so I'm basing these comments on my experience of the demo (which I've been taking a look at in anticipation of FM09). So if what I say has already been altered or improved by one of the FM08 patches, then please disregard this thread.

One of my bug-bears in FM07 (which I still play) was that matches in full detail always used all possible substitutes, whereas non-detail matches rarely did. Also, if a player got injured in a non-detail match, another substitute would automatically come on at the same time as the injury replacement sub.

I see in FM08 that this has improved...full detail matches now use a variety of substitues and non-detail matches no longer make two changes when an injury occurs. Much better.

However, I've noticed that whereas in FM08 around 80% of matches use all subs (like most matches in real life do), non-detail matches never do. I haven't seen one that has yet. I think this matters because...

1. It means that players in non-detail competitions are getting less appearances (and caps for international matches). This gives them less match practice and ultimitely less appearances in their history to judge them on.

2. More players are playing the full 90 mins in non-detail leagues. This means if you play them in a continental competition their regular first 11 will be more tired than a team in a league with full detail.

3. It looks odd. When you browse AI vs AI matches in your own division you see subs being used realistically, but in non-detail matches it looks completely different. Makes the game feel a little unbalanced for me.

Any thoughts on this?

Archived