Do you lie about "team role" when offering contracts?

Especially with free signings setting it to "Key Player", to make them prefer your club?

Or finding that your board won't allow the required performance fee or basic wage, selecting "Key Player" for a young prospect to adjust the missing sum to player requirements?

I do sometimes. Not always of course but it's better to lie than lose out on a good signing to a rival club.

The game sort of scales them differently now anyway. In the old CM series they meant what they said, but now you can call someone an "important first team player" when he's actually in a rotation system, and similarly if you say "is used in a squad rotation system" what you mean is that he is backup. I only ever use "is a backup to the first team" to youth players I've just brought into the first-team squad and only get substitute appearances or possibly start one or two league games in the year - and rightly they should be called hot prospects. It's like the game's definitions of the roles all need to be shifted up one.

Also, if you loan a player out when he's a decent young player, then offer him a contract as a first team player (or whatever) and he signs, when he comes back from loan he will be listed as decent young player again. Just a little bug you can exploit if you want. I don't, I just change it back again to whatever I said when I offered the contract.

i try to offer them what they are going to be playing in but sometimes i let it slip for some potential stars or even players who are going to be first teamers and want alot of money so i set em to key players (even if they are not)

I do it. Sometimes you have to to get the player you want. It's never really caused me any major problems.

Exactly, and I think it could be better. Too easy to exploit now (well, since '06 really). You should occasionally get the player who makes a big stink about it and plays horribly until you transfer him. A pretty big betrayal when you think about it.

Of course I do it. Only because I can get away with it.

100% of players seem to get over 'feels like he was brought to (your team) under false pretenses' within the first 6 months, if that. In reality I think some players would slander you and try to bring the team down if they were set on the bench as 'backup to the first team' when brought to the club as a 'key player'. I dunno, maybe something is detracted from the team cohesion without being obvious. (am getting paranoid)

I try to tell the truth where I can, because it obviously affects a players expectations.

Sometimes a player might only be interested in signing if he is given a certain role in the team. IN the case of talented youngsters, I might be keen on signing them, but not too keen on making them a regular starter immediately so I will lie when offering them a contract, but then change it immediately bafterwards.

When you are short on funds you arec also allowed to offer a larger wage to a more important player so in this case I might up the role that the player is gong to given. Again I would change this to the truth immediately after signing.

no, because when he signs and then you change it, they feel they have been brought to the club on false pretenses.

Not if you offer them a new contract as soon as you sign them. So if you sign them on a key player contract, when they have joined your club they will most probably accept a First team or squad rotation contract on the same money.

After you sign them under the inflated team role, wait a month or two, and offer them a new contract with their real team role. As long as you can afford the wages, the player will not be unhappy at the change of role under a new contract.

Yeah I do the same as you. Sometimes wonderkids want you to offer them at least a first team member slot, which they wont get. Then at a club that doesnt have heaps to spend you have to offer key player position to give them maximum wages

I don't care any more. Far too often I've signed a player to a "backup" contract only for him to start moaning very quickly about a lack of first team opportunities. If he's going to moan he'll moan, no matter the role.

No. I try to treat my players like human beings with distinctive characters. I once got a bid accepted for a still young Aaron Lennon as Manchester United manager (you know he can become a great player in the game). He demanded a key role and a pretty big wage. I immediately withdrew my offer because of his arrogance. He didn't have enough quality at the time to play a meaningful role in my first team, let alone a key role. I like to imagine that my players are aware of their qualities and limits, and he definately wasn't.

I do whatever I wish to do in each individual case. Some players are only worth signing if they will accept what I first want to offer them, others I'll do absolutely everything it takes to get them to sign and then deal with the fall out afterwards - this mostly happens when trying to bag a Bosman signing though - people I'm paying transfer fees for I'll generally only move heaven and earth to sign them if they are actually going to be an integral part of my team.

no, because when he signs and then you change it, they feel they have been brought to the club on false pretenses.

They get over it pretty quickly. If they don't I don't want them if they're going to cry about it. I only lie about their roles if I have to anyway.

Of course I lie, this is business.

Besides, their whole whining about false pretences goes away soon enough. Must be because of the lovely high salary I've given them.

Of course the lie is only for a player I want very badly, otherwise if they won't accept being a 2nd class player, they can eff off!

Lie to get them in? Yes. Though usually it's because of the salary cap the board place on what I think will be their true role, i.e. rotation allows £1k, they want £1.5, my wage structure allows £1.6 for key players. What am I going to do?

In any case, all new arrivals in my clubs play a few reserve games while they bed in, unless there is a dire emergency. Otherwise I've found even good players look rubbish because they don't 'know' the system, team mates, etc (if that is actually simulated and not just my imagination).

Of course, some fail to perform even in the reserves, at least at first, so I wait until their ratings, etc improve. If they whinge, they whinge. I just tell them to work harder in training, etc, and if/when they make the first team, to prove a point. Those who want to stay and play for the club accept it. Those that don't or have massive egos tend to complain again soon after or reject my argument outright. That's fair enough: it's what the transfer list is for.

I just tell the players whatever it takes to get them to sign. If they are good enough they will get in the team and won't whine. If they aren't good enough they will sit in the reserves and whine regardless of what status was agreed upon their recruitment. Then get sold!

I currently have 13 key players and 7 first team players in my squad. Yes, they get a bit arsey if you change their status after they sign, so I do the obvious thing.. don't change it. Wait until they want clarification on their role and then change it, very rarely have any players getting upset.

Archived