Manchester City in FM2009

Personally I hope SI will stray from reality on this point... In FM the really rich clubs tend to buy an excessive amount of players for each position. I would hate if Man City bought my out on every talent I plan to sign. If they do I'll probably become so bitter that I'll edit them to have £0,- money and just watch them decay :D

It isn't reality yet - remember when roman took charge at chelsea, the papers were saying "£100m bid for ronaldo!" and "£90m bid for raul" and assorted BS like this, none of it ever happened.

Until man city start to actually spend £100m+ then it will not be included in fm. If they do, then i'm sure fm will accurately reproduce their finances, but in FM09 i'd expect them to be like chelsea currently are - a large bank balance, but by no means limitless.

It isn't reality yet - remember when roman took charge at chelsea, the papers were saying "£100m bid for ronaldo!" and "£90m bid for raul" and assorted BS like this, none of it ever happened.

Until man city start to actually spend £100m+ then it will not be included in fm. If they do, then i'm sure fm will accurately reproduce their finances, but in FM09 i'd expect them to be like chelsea currently are - a large bank balance, but by no means limitless.

To be honest, Man City's financial backing is just a tad bit larger than Roman....... Just a smidge :D

I also think that their attitude towards money are way different. I honestly are of the beleif that they wipe their asses with money. Or with paper-thin gold or something.

Neji it isn't the newspapers its the owners themselves.

They've already said themselves THAT.

1. They beleive they will need to spnd around £135 million for Ronaldo.

2. that 18 new players are needed includng Torres, Ronaldo, Fabregas etc,

3. He's already bidded for Villa, Berbatov, Gomez, Robinho.

4. he also Stated that he would spend 1 Billion pounds on players if he had to.

where as Roman did not say this,

I'd say that it's solid fact that Manchester City have access to virtually limitless wealth. I agree that the actual mass purchasing of the world's top players hasn't become reality yet. The signing of Robinho seems to suggest it's in the offing, though. The club's new owners are rich almost beyond comprehension and if they truly do lavish it upon City, and FM reflects this, managing them is going to be either awesome fun or massively boring. Depends how you see it and what you want from the game.

These guys are completed deluded and borderline insane.

"He's already bidded for Villa, Berbatov, Gomez, Robinho."

An who did he get out of those? Robinho, who was desperate to leave Real Madrid at all costs. The other 3 weren't interested in the slightest, yet they think they can get Ronaldo Torres and Fabregas? Bloody idiots with too much money thinking everything in life is for sale. I bet they bought their wives

To be honest, Man City's financial backing is just a tad bit larger than Roman....... Just a smidge :D

I also think that their attitude towards money are way different. I honestly are of the beleif that they wipe their asses with money. Or with paper-thin gold or something.

But you're missing the point - the only transfer to go through has been robinho's - the simple fact that the owners think they can buy ronaldo, villa, gerrard, essien, torres, fabregas proves that they are either;

a) morons

or

b) talking up their club regardless of what will actually happen

So the point remains, in FM they will be rich but not super rich by any means (<£50m to spend) simply because none of these bids have happened yet.

If they start spending hundreds of millions then i'm sure FM will model this, but not until they do actually start spending this.

I dread to imagine the amount of "man city should have more money threads" the poor man city researcher will have to put up with when the game is released lol.

Totally off topic but I find it so depressing that yet another English club has been turned into some foreign millionaires plaything. Today teams don't have to become good over a number of years and work their way to the top through merit. They just need to wait for a rich foreign business man to buy their team so that they can buy a few league places.

It's completely rubbish and will ruin the English game. Proper competition will be gone and the only thing that will matter will be who has the wealthiest owner.

Totally off topic but I find it so depressing that yet another English club has been turned into some foreign millionaires plaything. Today teams don't have to become good over a number of years and work their way to the top through merit. They just need to wait for a rich foreign business man to but their team so that they can buy a few league places.

It's completely rubbish and will ruin the English game. Proper competition will be gone and the only thing that will matter will be who has the wealthiest owner.

What i find odd is why it only appears to be happening to english teams.

Granted there may be more money in the EPL, but taking these arabs as an example, they don't appear to be interested in making profit (if their transfer targets are to be believed) so why didn't they consider a spanish or italian team?

I think teams should squeeze every penny out of these fools, wait until their stars are about 29/30, then sell for as much as they can, that way they can pretty much buy 2 or 3 rising stars with the money, and no doubt the player in question will lose all passion an desire to play well and will play averagely (Shevchenko anyone?)

I have seen this come up quite a number of times on the forums in the past few weeks and it is getting kind of old but I will give my 2 pence on it anyways. I agree with others in here that Man City's finances will probably be similar to Chelsea's, where they have a large bank balance but not an unlimited one, possibly £60m+ or something for transfers. These Abu Dhabi guys have said they'll put in all these massive bids but so far we haven't really seen much, save Robinho. If they start to spend big (which is unlikely because I don't think most of the world's best players will want to play for Man City, you can't buy success and prestige) then I'm sure SI will implement this in the January transfer patch.

And I agree with SmurfDude, Man City's chances of signing all these big name players are relevant to the game because although they might have a lot of financial clout it is still unlikely that the likes of Torres, Ronaldo and Fabregas will want to play for them, at least until you start doing well with them and winning trophies in the game. The likelihood of other clubs accepting offers for their best players is also small, key players like this are almost invaluable and worth more to a team than just money.

Granted there may be more money in the EPL, but taking these arabs as an example, they don't appear to be interested in making profit (if their transfer targets are to be believed) so why didn't they consider a spanish or italian team?

I know. Perhaps English clubs are just more willing to sell out to foreign owners. I'm just guessing here but I imagine the fans of clubs like Real Madrid or AC Milan would not be to happy if their clubs were owned by anyone who wasn't Spanish or Italian.

Whereas in England the fans just see pound signs as soon as there is talk of foreign ownership.

Because the Premier League is the world's most popular and arguably best football league so they will get the most attention. I think the history of football in England gives it that something that leagues in other countries lack, after all England is the home of football so there's no better place to own a club really is there. And I think it's only these Arabs that want to play fantasy football with real money (unlikely to happen because they will soon realise that the world's best players aren't all a load of money grabbers, remember Ronaldinho didn't sign for Man City despite being offered a reported £200,000 a week and Robinho only went to get away from Madrid). Roman Abramovich is still trying to bring Chelsea to a sustainable business position so that it runs like a proper football club should i.e. the club's turnover pays for transfers etc.

I know. Perhaps English clubs are just more willing to sell out to foreign owners. I'm just guessing here but I imagine the fans of clubs like Real Madrid or AC Milan would not be to happy if their clubs were owned by anyone who wasn't Spanish or Italian.

Whereas in England the fans just see pound signs as soon as there is talk of foreign ownership.

I dread to think what the Roma fans would say/do if there was a chance of a Middle East billionaire taking over their club.

The amount of money and marketability of the English game has to play a part as well, it says a lot about football when Man City are believed to be a sound/better investment than the likes of Parma, Deportivo or Valencia :rolleyes:

When you have that much money any club is a "sound investment".

I would think perhaps that in FM this might just be implemented as a Sugar Daddy chairman who is happy to increase your transfer budget when asked, but most likely perhaps will sign mega expensive players on your behalf that you don't necessarily want. I very much doubt you will just get a vast transfer budget and certainly the club's bank balance will not be anything special.

Thaksin boasted of bottomless money pits and look what happened there. Talk is cheap. Claims of buying Ronaldo, Gerrard and Torres is just laughable and only makes paper headlines

I think Robinho will live to regret his transfer to Man City instead of Chelsea.

Anyway lets what and see what unfolds, its early doors yet

I think the Frank Sinatra probably did have a bottomless pit of money, but he was probably banking on getting away with whatever he had done in Thailand and then decided to bail when it looked like he was actually going to have to make up for his indescretions.

As for City now, it's all just paper talk atm. Until they actually start splashing the cash I think it's all just keeping up apeparances, and breaking the transfer record was an attempt to make a good first impression. What I thought was weird about them breaking the record, Chelsea at no point had been quoted a record breaking figure (as far as we know) and logically Real would have given City a lower figure because they didn't want to sell to Chelsea and so would have been happy to deal with City. So why such a massive price tag??

Thaksin boasted of bottomless money pits and look what happened there.

He did/does have huge sums of money.

It is just that not long after his takeover the Thai Government froze all his assests as he faced various charges of corruption, money laundering, and human rights charges from his time as Thai PM.

You are partly right with regards to fans but not all fans just see the pound signs. Look at United fans and how we protested against the Glazers (spit). We didn't protest just because of the debt either, we protested successfully against Sky in 98 which would have meant us having huge amounts of money before Roman and his millions were even thought of. You are right about the vast majority though. Look at city fans who claimed (wrongly) before this that they were the true local club in Manchester and all that local community football stood for. They've soon forgot about that with the promise of some money.

As for the others clubs abroad not being bought, I could be wrong but I think the procedures abroad are a lot stricter and they wont let any Tom, DIC or Malcolm (or Sulaiman) inject cancer into their clubs like the spineless FA do over here.

Everyone has a price. Football will be bought and played with because politicians will receive massive back handers to allow it. People in the world are starving and homeless and these idiots talk about £100million + for a bloke to kick a ball. Absurd. Its about time FIFA/FA did something to restrict values and wages to bring back the enjoyment of the game.

As a City fan I am probably taking as much interest in this as most. The guy who keeps saying all the stuff about Ronaldo etc is just a figurehead, who was due to be on the board as a representative of the real owner. As it turns out, all the showboating etc by "Mr Figurehead" has left him quite unpopular with the real owners, who prefer less boastfulness, and has meant that the chances are he won't be on the board. Read this article here if you want to know more:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/manchester_city/s/1066307_city_boardroom_power_shift

I don't think we'll be making crazy bids for the dream team that has been mentioned, and I'm glad, both for football but also for City- I don't think buying ten superstars would a) work or b) be sustainable. If we want to challenge the top teams we have to set up not just a team, but a system that keeps developing and improving that team without having to go out and spend 100 million every time (even though that's a nice option) Our academy is the best in my biased opinion in the Premier League and we need to keep bringing good quality kids through.

Will be interesting to see how it's represented in game.

What i think would be the most realistic implementation was to give City a huge bank balance, and then limit the transfer sum available to the manager to lets say 3-40M £. Then the chairman ("Abu el Arabi Sulejman" or whatever hes called... ) should be a sugar daddy with maximum influence and interference.

Because i think that is what gonna happen. The manager will pick the ordinary players while the possible galacticos-buys will be dictated by the board.

Im a City fan and this is like reading a normal football forum from some of you, jealousy is a terrible thing lads.

In the game i'd like to see City have a large bank balance and like someone has already said transfer funds of around £60m and when u establish yourself as the "right man" for the job the funds will come through more and more. I agree with some of you in the fact that the likes of Fabregas, Torres and Kaka might not want to join City but money talks in football these days so anything could happen and i think this will be reflected in the game with hopefully the clubc reputation growin quite quickly if you can do a good job.

i think making sure our youth system is reflected properly is more important because we have got the best in the premiership and this was proven last year in the FA Youth Cup and through the fact we have brought through over 25 players in recent years.

some of you will say im biased but it has to be realistic now and we have surely now irl just took a massive step to breaking the top 4, and leaped well ahead of the rest of the chasing pack

So I take it we are to assume that City's owners have transferred large sums of their own cash into Man City's bank account to sit there just for the sake of it? :rolleyes:

Exactly - abramovich has a fair bit of cash, but chelsea's bank balance isn't £4bn!

Until man city start spending £100m+ it will not be put in FM. Similarly their rep will not increase until man city start performing better.

I think i should just copy and paste the comments SI made when roman took charge of chelsea, because it's just another batch of the same type of people making the same silly requests.

Im a City fan and this is like reading a normal football forum from some of you, jealousy is a terrible thing lads.

Jealous? I'd be genuinely gutted if my team, Sunderland, was taken over by some rich foriegn owner who has no link with football, the premier league, this country or the club. This is what will ruin English football in the long term. I'd much rather my team got relegated and stayed true to itself rather than sell out to quickly buy some league places.

Jealous? I'd be genuinely gutted if my team, Sunderland, was taken over by some rich foriegn owner who has no link with football, the premier league, this country or the club. This is what will ruin English football in the long term. I'd much rather my team got relegated and stayed true to itself rather than sell out to quickly buy some league places.

But Sunderland were taken over by foreign owners, and there only link to football is Niall Quinn who was the figurehead for the group.

Can I just ask how many Future Man City Players will kiss the shirt when they score and actually mean it?

There is no pride in moving for money at all, I mean Robiniho didn't even know which team he had moved to when interviewed on his transfer, The idiot thought he had signed for Chelsea. Now tell me he wanted to sign for Man City cause he fell in love with the club the moment he heard they wanted him.

He did/does have huge sums of money.

It is just that not long after his takeover the Thai Government froze all his assests as he faced various charges of corruption, money laundering, and human rights charges from his time as Thai PM.

Did have / hasn't got - who cares, he was a crook who got found out

At the end of the day massive sums of money just were not spent.

City's biggest problem will be that the big stars just will not want to sign. So far just one big signing which I believe will result in Robinho leaving in the Jan transfer window.

Still, we will see how much money they have and what players they can attract Jan 2009

Exactly. That said, you do have a perfect chairman. Someone rich, generous, and knows football inside out. I'm sure Newcastle would take billionaires right now, but that's more a case of anything but Ashley.

At Arsenal, i'll oppose any buyout that isn't led by either David Dein, Fitzman or any other past or present member of the board. If someone already involved in the club in a big way (or formerly so) wanted to take us over, fair enough. But a nobody?

Okay. I guess I better throw Wenger in too. If Wenger managed to raise the funds to buy out the club, or even convince the board to elect him chairman (Hill Wood hardly owns any of Arsenal anyway) I'd be one happy gunner.

Back on topic, I don't think we can really call man city "all talk" yet.. It's hard to see one way or another. The fact that they only took over on the final day of the window meant they were only ever going to get one or two big names this time.

If you honestly think City wanted to sign all the players they bid for....

PR that's all it was. They struck lucky with Robinho.

If it was all PR, and they didn't want to buy them all...

They were UNLUCKY to sign robinho. After all, they didn't want him, did they? They just wanted the PR?

City made bids for all those players to cause a distraction so that they could sneak up on the blind side to grab Robinho from under the nose of Chelsea.

Issuing offers for all those players was a smokescreen, and it worked as they got the man they truely wanted.

Archived