Football Manager via Ethernet Cable

I have just bought an ethernet cable for my and mate to play football manager against each other...

we have the UK RJ45 ethernet cable..

we have never played with an ethernet cable and we need to know how to!

Any help is appreciated,

thanks in advance!

If you are attempting to link the two PC's directly you would require a crossover cable.

If you have a router/network hub, you would require two standard ethernet cables.

what is a cross over cable, me and a few friends wanna play multiplayer but dont wanna play on the same computer so what cable do i need?

A crossover cable is one that is designed to connect 2 PC's directly with no network hub/router involved.

If you have a network hub/router then you should be able to connect all of the PC's into said device using standard ethernet cables (or wirelessly if available).

You should be able to get a cable-based network hub very cheap right now from your local Radio Shack or equivalent, as most people who are purchasing routers and hubs are trying to purchase wireless equipment so there is plenty of wire-based inventory and low demand.

Something like this will suffice- its only £16. Anything that says 10/100Mbps Ethernet switch- you need minimum 2 ports on the switch- they usually come with at least 4. Much easier than mucking around with a crossover cable.

The BR-6214K has four 10/100Mbps Ethernet ports allows you to connect up to four wired PCs to your network or daisy chain for even more users or devices.

Oh- and you'll need 2 ethernet cables. One from each pc into the switch.

If you are attempting to link the two PC's directly you would require a crossover cable.

If you have a router/network hub, you would require two standard ethernet cables.

We have a crossover cable now, but we still can't get it to work...

Anyone know hows to actually play with two computers via crossover cable?

Me and my mate use wireess conection via my laptop and his wirless usb (usealy used for goin on the internet) all we did was create a new wirless network on one of the cpu's then have every one else connect to the network.. then load up fm and make sure the person who made the wireless network is the fm host.. then start your game them other users connet via network on fm. easy really :D:D

a) Manually configure IP addresses on both computers' network adapters/cards. Google on how to do this.

b) One machine hosts FM with 'set as server enabled' and makes an exception for the FM ports (see the FM Online forum) in any firewall

c) The other machine runs FM and connects to the IP address you gave the serving machine in a).

• 2 weeks later...
a) Manually configure IP addresses on both computers' network adapters/cards. Google on how to do this.

b) One machine hosts FM with 'set as server enabled' and makes an exception for the FM ports (see the FM Online forum) in any firewall

c) The other machine runs FM and connects to the IP address you gave the serving machine in a).

We are using the same IP address though, we are playing right next to each other... So we just configure our same IP addresses together?

No... your router, or gateway, will have a public IP address. Each node on the internal network will have an IP address--something like 192.168.2.x (unless you've changed it).

Your router should use DHCP bootstrap to automatically assign each connected node an IP - don't worry about assigning, or setting it yourself. Just do:

Start->Run->'cmd'

Then in the console window - ipconfig /all

The IP addresses, respectively, are what you should require for a network game.

• 1 year later...
Me and my mate use wireess conection via my laptop and his wirless usb (usealy used for goin on the internet) all we did was create a new wirless network on one of the cpu's then have every one else connect to the network.. then load up fm and make sure the person who made the wireless network is the fm host.. then start your game them other users connet via network on fm. easy really :D:D

Please spend less time playing games on your laptop and more time at school learning to spell, I find basic spelling errors (wireess, goin, usealy, etc) almost as offensive as text speak :)

Please spend less time playing games on your laptop and more time at school learning to spell, I find basic spelling errors (wireess, goin, usealy, etc) almost as offensive as text speak :)

Please spend less time worrying about other people's spelling, and more worrying about your own grammar.

You should have used a full stop after spell, not a comma. See, we can be pedantic too! ;)

Archived