Make available for reserves...

I'm not sure if this has come up before but I had an idea for this issue.

Instead of having to make players in your first team available for reserve games every 5 days which is very tedious and I doubt many people do it. There should just be the option to make available for reserves permanently (something you can tick) which can then be unticked if or when you don't want the particular player picked for the reserves.

What ya'll think?

Jay

No it isn't. It may be a goalkeeper who is constantly on the subs bench, you need him there because he's your sub. You also want him to get games, so you want to make him constantly avalible for the reserves. 'Cept you can't. Moving a player to the reserve squad would mean that you always have to promote them if you need them.

No it doesn't. You filter in your reserves on your main squad page and select the goalkeeper as a sub and then filter reserves out again and as long as you keep the assignment of the keeper as a sub he will remain visible on your main squad page and in your match day squad despite actually being in the reserves.

No it doesn't. You filter in your reserves on your main squad page and select the goalkeeper as a sub and then filter reserves out again and as long as you keep the assignment of the keeper as a sub he will remain visible on your main squad page and in your match day squad despite actually being in the reserves.

Yeah fair enough you can do it that way but it would be easier to just be able to make players in your first team available for the reserves all the time instead of for the next 5 days.

There could even be an interaction with your reserve team manager, where before each reserve game he asks you which players, if any, from the first team are available for the reserve team and at the same time you could set match instructions, like you only want him playing for 45 minutes of the game.

There could even be an interaction with your reserve team manager, where before each reserve game he asks you which players, if any, from the first team are available for the reserve team and at the same time you could set match instructions, like you only want him playing for 45 minutes of the game.

I was just having the same though myself last night. I don't like it the way it is at the moment.

That's precisely what I do with my #2 keeper, as well as two or three of my subs who don't play often.

However, as my Reserve squad can get huge with a big team, I can see why I'd want this ability - I want to see about 25 players when I go to select my squad, and I know who those 25 are ... but either they're all on my senior squad, in which case making them available for the Reserves is a pain, or they're all on my Reserve squad, in which case finding them to place them on the subs bench is painful. (When I tick "Reserves", now I see 50+ players...)

Also, as I like to manage my Reserve squad myself, why doesn't "Make available for the Reserves" cause the player to show up when I go to my Reserves to select the squad?

For what it's worth, you can do this in Football Manager Live (FML). Players can be on as many or as few lineups as you select. For example from beta, I would put my first team non-starters on my reserve team, too, giving me the option of playing them for either team without having to adjust (move back and forth and back and forth) every first team or reserve game.

So what happens when you drop him for one game, say a cup game? He would disapear from the main screen, and if you dropped him often(had him on rotation) then you would have to do that game, after game, after game.

This is one area where CM works better than the current FM incarnation.

There is an option you can tick where the AI will pick first team players for reserve games when they're not playing often.

I would love to see a similar system implemented in FM.

I didn't know you could do that on CM, I've never played it. It's something I've been thinking for ages and would make the game that more realistic because I would imagine in real life a reserve team manager would have to ask the manager which players from the first team are available for the reserves. Seems like an obvious feature that should be implemented IMO.

What i try to do is when my weekend game has finished i check my fixtures, if i have a reserve game i select all subs and un used players by pressing ctrl and make available for 5 days. But the odd time i forget it annoys me, what i would like is the day before the game the assistant manager comes and asks for the players he can use for reserve game. This list should be saved so the following week i can just press confirm rather than re-selecting each player. I also think you should select a first team squad on a Friday for away games, because you would then see if you need to take your under 18 keeper. IRL when teams go to away games they don't take the whole squad usually just 18-20 players.

I didn't know you could do that on CM, I've never played it. It's something I've been thinking for ages and would make the game that more realistic because I would imagine in real life a reserve team manager would have to ask the manager which players from the first team are available for the reserves. Seems like an obvious feature that should be implemented IMO.

Normally, I wouldn't have touched it either but I was getting really frustrated with far too many aspects of FM 2008 and thought playing a far inferior game would reignite my appreciation. What I found is that CM has drastically improved from the first incarnation since the split between SI and Eidos. It still is nowhere near as good as FM and I didn't manage to make it to January in the first season but there are some nice touches in there none the less.

So what happens when you drop him for one game, say a cup game? He would disapear from the main screen, and if you dropped him often(had him on rotation) then you would have to do that game, after game, after game.

Sure, I'm not saying it is totally perfect, but everything in FM requires some number of clicks from time to time rather than a vast array of buttons and menus to do anything you could ever want with one click.

You can put the 'keeper as sub number 8 if you want (if you have 7 subs) and he will remain on your first team page, but not in your team and then you can rotate him into one of the first 7 sub positions.

I have to admit though that I often forget about the whole ability to have my first teamers play for the reserves so I occasionally (when I'm in bad form) throw a bunch of them into my reserves for their next game - which almost always results in a key 1st teamer getting a 3 month injury, but still...:p

So I agree there is room for improved manipulation of reserves and first team, but I just think a blanket option to make a player always available for the reserves is not a very helpful solution to any of these issues.

what i would like is the day before the game the assistant manager comes and asks for the players he can use for reserve game. This list should be saved so the following week i can just press confirm rather than re-selecting each player. I also think you should select a first team squad on a Friday for away games, because you would then see if you need to take your under 18 keeper. IRL when teams go to away games they don't take the whole squad usually just 18-20 players.

Yes! I've been thinking along similar lines, in that midweek (or the beginning of the week - I'm not sure when reserve games are played) you select your provisional team for the next first-team match. Anyone else is available to play for the reserves.

This would be ideal in my opinion, because it actually doesn't involve much more effort than normal (you'd only be tweaking your team come match-day). I would have thought that something similar happens IRL too, as you would want the first 11 to be training together.

I would say that this 'provisional team' shouldn't have the same restrictions as the matchday squad (so that you could, say, leave a gap in one position or name 8 subs if you didn't want any of them playing reserve games).

Edit: I'm thinking more about this - the best way would be to have a news item pop up and your assistant says 'do you want to pick a provisional squad?' You can always ignore him.

If only I didn't think of this 2 months before the new FM is out. :(

I don't give a toss about my reserves in general! Generally they are washed-up has beens because I like a young squad so anyone who isn't in my first team, but who might get brought in will often be in the U19s or whatever the lower squad is. I don't manage them myself though - I've considered doing so, but I just can't be bothered - as long as they get some match fitness that'll do me!

I don't trust my ass man either but when managing reserves i prefer to do it commentry only, but then i always forget to change back to key highlishts when i start my next game. Meaning now i let my ass man manage them, if you could have personal preferences where you could chose set it up so first team games key highlights and reserve just commentry it would be great.

On my idea before an example i can use is the club i play for have 4 teams, after training on a thursday the first team manager, reserve coach, third team coach and fourth team coach meet and decide who is playing for which team, on the saturday - they then tell the players on Friday. As was said before a news item would be ideal, ignore it if you want, or use it to your advantage. How many times have you got to a game and realised your reserve keeper sprained his wrist in training on thursday and can't be picked, you don't a reserve team keeper an youth player has already played a game today. It would never happen IRL so it shouldn't happen in FM.

Archived