Will FM 09 use both cores?

so a quad over a dual core would be better for FM?

That is indeed correct. A quad core generates x4 on the speed listed, a dual core generates x2 on the speed listed. So if the speed is 2.5GhZ, then a quad-core would produce 10 GhZ, and a dual core, like mine, will produce 5 GhZ. As always, the faster - the better.

That is indeed correct. A quad core generates x4 on the speed listed, a dual core generates x2 on the speed listed. So if the speed is 2.5GhZ, then a quad-core would produce 10 GhZ, and a dual core, like mine, will produce 5 GhZ. As always, the faster - the better.

ok thanks looking to get this then

250 GB SATA HDD UDMA 300 7200 8MB

Standard Operating System Backup

Corsair XMS2 4GB DDR2 PC-6400 800 MHZ (2 x 2 GB 800) - Lifetime Warranty

ASUS SKT-AM2+ M3A-H/HDMI S/V/L 5200MT/s

AMD Phenom Quad Core 9850 (4 x 2.5GHz) 2MB Black Edition

Motherboard Integrated 3D Video

X-Blade Black

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic SP1 32-BIT (Genuine DVD & COA Included)

Speeze QuadroFlow VIII - Low Noise

Motherboard Integrated 5.1 Sound

4 X USB 2.0 Ports

Samsung DVD +/-RW 18x6x18x8 D/LAYER Black (IDE)

600W PSU

provided you tick the threading box in preferences yes (Y)

There is no evidence for this that FM08 or FM09 will benefit from a quad core CPU. Arguably a dual core CPU with 2 individually faster cores will allow FM09 to run faster than a CPU with each of the 4 cores less powerful than each on the dual core CPUs

Running smoother, I dont understand this phrase?

In simple terms multiple cores allow faster processing of games where the games have been written to allow multiple threading occurs. I belive that Crysis and perhaps one other are currently the only games to make full use of quad core CPU's. There is no evidence to date i believe or confirmation yet received from SI that a 4 core CPU will be fully utilised running FM. Other benefits of having multiple cores is that you could run multiple applications whilst running FM. Clearly if you wanted FM to run as fast as it could you would not have multiple apps running unless you weren't bothered and some slow up, the amount dependant on your ram and CPU speed

FM has been seen to take advantage of dual core CPU's where the threading otion has been selected. I don't think quad core CPU's have been considered. Perhaps one of teh SI guys could confirm this.

I'm sure there will also be a threshold at which point a fast CPU and a faster CPU will not have much impact on FM's running speed

The multipliers that Pompey2j quotes are incorrect. You do not muliply core number by tick rate to determine a total tick rate, this I am afraid is nonesense

A fast dual CPU will be plenty for FM. Even a slower quad like a Q6600 will also be plenty powerful. If you balanced this with a suitable amount of ram allowing for the maximum available to 32-bit and 64 bit operating systems then I'm sure the game will run just fine.

Dont forget also that your selectyion of database size and leagues running in full will also impact processing times where can get busy and key times e.g. end of season player updates, transfer window deadlines etc

The system spec you detail - FM will run as quick as is possible with this

I hope this helps

There is no evidence for this that FM08 or FM09 will benefit from a quad core CPU. Arguably a dual core CPU with 2 individually faster cores will allow FM09 to run faster than a CPU with each of the 4 cores less powerful than each on the dual core CPUs

In simple terms multiple cores allow faster processing of games where the games have been written to allow multiple threading occurs. I belive that Crysis and perhaps one other are currently the only games to make full use of quad core CPU's. There is no evidence to date i believe or confirmation yet received from SI that a 4 core CPU will be fully utilised running FM. Other benefits of having multiple cores is that you could run multiple applications whilst running FM. Clearly if you wanted FM to run as fast as it could you would not have multiple apps running unless you weren't bothered and some slow up, the amount dependant on your ram and CPU speed

FM has been seen to take advantage of dual core CPU's where the threading otion has been selected. I don't think quad core CPU's have been considered. Perhaps one of teh SI guys could confirm this.

I'm sure there will also be a threshold at which point a fast CPU and a faster CPU will not have much impact on FM's running speed

The multipliers that lee quotes are incorrect. You do not muliply core number by tick rate to determine a total tick rate, this I am afraid is nonesense

A fast dual CPU will be plenty for FM. Even a slower quad like a Q6600 will also be plenty powerful. If you balanced this with a suitable amount of ram allowing for the maximum available to 32-bit and 64 bit operating systems then I'm sure the game will run just fine.

Dont forget also that your selectyion of database size and leagues running in full will also impact processing times where can get busy and key times e.g. end of season player updates, transfer window deadlines etc

I hope this helps

yep it helps thanks i might just get the setup i posted above for future use even if it dosen't have an enormous effect on FM but with 4GB of ram it should be good alot better than my amd athlon 64 3700+

I doubt a quad core will provide much, if any, benefit over a dual core when playing FM unless SI have specifically written 09 to make use of quad cores. The only games I know of that actually makes use of quad core processors are crysis and supreme commander, but those game makes use of everything you throw at them

If you want to go down the quad core route however I recommend getting an intel Q6600 and overclocking it to about 3.2ghz (easily done with the right motherboard) and you have yourself a great CPU

The multipliers that Pompey2j quotes are incorrect. You do not muliply core number by tick rate to determine a total tick rate, this I am afraid is nonesense

The system spec you detail - FM will run as quick as is possible with this

I hope this helps

Sorry but that is what the threading box is for if un ticked the game uses one core and leaves the other free un less I misread your statement

yep it helps thanks i might just get the setup i posted above for future use even if it dosen't have an enormous effect on FM but with 4GB of ram it should be good alot better than my amd athlon 64 3700+

I have a athlon 64 dual core 4400+ and never had problems with FM08. You wont have any problems with the system you selected

If it helps I am shortly building a new PC using an Intel Quad 9650. Safe overclocking would also be reasonable to any CPU if you want to do this but for FM09 I doubt you would see any benefit

Remember that with WIn XP 32 bit and Vista32 bit you will only be able to use about 3.2 gb at most. Even this could be reduced subject to the size of your memory cards and other elements need RAM

When you get your PC, during start up it will report on the screen how much ram it can use, believe it will less than 4gb even though it will recognise 4gb being on your MoBo Here the key will be buying RAM that runs faster e.g. DDR2 at 1066mhz. DDR3 Ram will be better but the hike in price may not be worth. You can see how PCs cost can get out of control

As I said earlier your spec is fine - ENJOY the PC and FM09 when it arrives!

I have a athlon 64 dual core 4400+ and never had problems with FM08. You wont have any problems with the system you selected

If it helps I am shortly building a new PC using an Intel Quad 9650. Safe overclocking would also be reasonable to any CPU if you want to do this but for FM09 I doubt you would see any benefit

Remember that with WIn XP 32 bit and Vista32 bit you will only be able to use about 3.2 gb at most. Even this could be reduced subject to the size of your memory cards and other elements need RAM

When you get your PC, during start up it will report on the screen how much ram it can use, believe it will less than 4gb even though it will recognise 4gb being on your MoBo Here the key will be buying RAM that runs faster e.g. DDR2 at 1066mhz. DDR3 Ram will be better but the hike in price may not be worth. You can see how PCs cost can get out of control

As I said earlier your spec is fine - ENJOY the PC and FM09 when it arrives!

thanks alot for your help i thought vista would recognise more than 3gb of ram or is that just the 64bit version?

Sorry but that is what the threading box is for if un ticked the game uses one core and leaves the other free un less I misread your statement

Hi megafan,

On one of the options pages on FM08 there is a box you can tick to take advantage of multi core CPU's, I think its called threading. You can I believe select this mid game, you domn't ned to have selected at the start.

If you have a multi core cpu why not run a test:

At a save point run with threading off and check CPU usage, then restore back and run with threading on and check CPU usage. How much is the 2nd CPU used?

I'm sure it helps but it wont make the game run twice of 4 times normal

I doubt a quad core will provide much, if any, benefit over a dual core when playing FM unless SI have specifically written 09 to make use of quad cores. The only games I know of that actually makes use of quad core processors are crysis and supreme commander, but those game makes use of everything you throw at them.

Having played FM 08 on both, a Core 2 Duo and a Quad 2 Core with 3GB of RAM each, I can tell you the difference in speed and performance is quite significant and quite noticeable. This is with multiple applications open and without any applications open whilst FM is running as my working environment changes from day to day.

Having played FM 08 on both, a Core 2 Duo and a Quad 2 Core with 3GB of RAM each, I can tell you the difference in speed and performance is quite significant and quite noticeable. This is with multiple applications open and without any applications open whilst FM is running as my working environment changes from day to day.

thats good as i will be geting a quad eventually lol

That is not actually correct. The Ghz rating given on a dual/quad-core is what it is and not multiplied in any way.

The speed increase is caused by the fact that more things can be processed simultaneously.

Think of it this way:

If you're writing a novel with a pen in hand you might get it done in 10 days.

If you write with a pen in both hands you might get it done in 5 days.

If you write with both your hands and both your feet you might write your novel in just over 2 days.

The problem is teaching yourself to write with 2 hands and 2 feet at the same time.

This is the problem programmers have to deal with for writing for multi-core processors.

So here's a different (although related) question.

How much of a difference do you think a good graphics card will have when it comes to using the 3D match engine?

I'm hoping that in saying that SI have put off the 3D view for so long as they wanted to ensure that it was 'as stable as possible', perhaps it will even run well with a low spec card...

It's going to be irritating if using the 3d view really makes it drag...

Although I realise that there is still a lot of work to be done as far as this is concerned.

Where the cpu's on the dual core and quad core both the same? If not then your test is invalid. I suspect the quad core had 4 cores EACH more powerful than EACH core on the dual core

You can't compare like this unless the cores on both cpu's are equal

I have a top of the line Vista 64 bit disc just lying around. Got it part of a deal for my FX-60 processor so I haven't even installed it yet. I'm waiting until I can upgrade to newer part in my comp then I will do a fresh install and put that in. Until then I won't. In your case I would just get the Vista as it will be the future even if it has some issues playing some games at the moment. Also let's not forget the problems aren't limited to games but also other programs as well.

Some absolute fluff written in this thread tbh.

FM'08 opens a seperate thread for each competition it's processing. So, if you're running a single league then you'll use a single core (until you hit European competition, which I think is calculated as a seperate comp). Two leagues = Two cores etc. FM will and does fully utilise a Quad-Core processor if you're set up with enough leagues at a sufficiently high detail level.

Edit: Only SI would be able to say how FM'09 is going to work for multiple core processors.

Where the cpu's on the dual core and quad core both the same? If not then your test is invalid. I suspect the quad core had 4 cores EACH more powerful than EACH core on the dual core

You can't compare like this unless the cores on both cpu's are equal

They were both designed by Intel and as far as I'm aware, the cores are not exactly the same, since newer technology is always on the horizon not to mention the process of production along with materials changes due to many reasons as well.

I don't quite see why the test would be invalid as I was replying to SmurfDude who said that there wouldn't be a difference, noticeable at least, in playing FM on a dual and quad core, which is false. If you really want to get technical, then you must consider all of the little specifications of computer hardware when making the system requirements for a game, such as speed of RAM, HDD, and processor, let alone the core type. If this was the case however, it would take half a page to list the minimum and maximum requirements for a game.

All it really takes is testing it out yourself. Heck, if I can find a cheap camera around, I'd be more than glad to make a video of the comparison with both of my boxes side by side.

Keeping in mind that the hard drive's RPM and connection method is the same, with only the RAM being slightly different, the difference in speed is clearly noticeable. The only way to prove my point, that is if you don't believe the statements, then I would highly recommend that you try it out yourself and see the results.

Archived