New PC

x 250 GB SATA HDD UDMA 300 7200 8MB

1 x 80 GB SATA HDD UDMA 300 7200 8MB

1 x Black & Silver ATX Tower Case

1 x Samsung DVD +/-RW 18x6x18x8 D/LAYER Black (IDE)

1 x 4 X USB 2.0 Ports

1 x Samsung 16x DVD-ROM Black (IDE)

1 x Motherboard Integrated 5.1 Sound

1 x Motherboard Integrated Ethernet Lan (Broadband Ready)

1 x Speeze QuadroFlow VIII - Low Noise

1 x Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-BIT (Genuine DVD & COA Included)

1 x ASUS SKT-AM2 M2A-VM S/V/L M-ATX 2000MT/s

1 x AMD ATHLON 64 X2 6000+ 2MB SKT-AM2

1 x 450W PSU

1 x Motherboard Integrated 3D Video

1 x 8GB DDR2 PC-6400 800 MHZ (4 x 2 GB 800)

1 x Standard Operating System Backup

1 x Built & Tested

1 x Standard (7-9 Working Days)

1 x UK Mainland

1 x Standard - 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM

1 x E-Mail/MSN Support

1 x 12 Months Return To Base

Unit Price £399.2

Delivery £0

Services £0

Vat £68.15

Grand Total Inc Vat: £469.06

sorry to list it all, is it worth the money its not only going to be used for FM but mainly it will lol

thanks for your advice and if there is any setups you recommend please let me know

You might want to think about getting a dedicated graphics card. While an on-board one should be able to handle FM ok it won't be much use for anything else. I'd also think about one with a better PSU. 450w isn't a lot by todays standards.

You might want to think about getting a dedicated graphics card. While an on-board one should be able to handle FM ok it won't be much use for anything else

ok i have a ati x1600 in my current machine was going to use that and upgrade later when i get more money

Why?

The machine is decent for the price but you could probably build a better one for the same price if you built it yourself.

Most companies offering the configure pc yourself will build it for free or deliver in parts for you to build. IOf they build it for free then let them do it.

For the spec and if it does what you want then its worth the money. However I personally would go for Vista home 32 bit and just install 3-4gb ram.

If that were my PC, the changes I'd make are; Swap the AMD processor for a Q6600. Drop to 4gb of memory. Get a better PSU. I currently have a 750w corsair PSU and it's fantastic, although very pricey. But the PSU is the most underrated component. I'd also get a DVD-RW with a sata connector instead of IDE (IDE cables are a nuisance). I'd also swap the case for an Antec 900, cause it's what I have now and it's fantabulous ;)

If that were my PC, the changes I'd make are; Swap the AMD processor for a Q6600. Drop to 4gb of memory. Get a better PSU. I currently have a 750w corsair PSU and it's fantastic, although very pricey. But the PSU is the most underrated component.

As the model description of the PSU isn't listed: the number of Watts they're being sold on don't make a PSU, though. A quality 450W is alrady way overpowered for a basic system such as this. Still headroom for a powerful video card on top of this. Unless you're into overclocking and running two high end cards in SLI mode, I can't see how any common home system would need a PSU like that. Point being we don't know what kind of power supply this is. Could be a really cheap one that will struggle to deliver the power it's advertised to deliver reliably, and might have weak 5V and 12V rails on top of that. But we do not know this.

Talking about video card requirements, it's hard to tell where SI are going in particular. But as a rough estimate, something such as FIFA 08 or Pro Evo 2007 renders just fine on a Geforce4 ti, a card now six years of age. What was shown of Football Manager's new 3D part didn't look all that advanced, really. Not that the last couple of FIFA games to appear on the PC ever did, mind you. Just saying.

edit: Assuming your intent is to play FM 09, my main advice is to wait til the game's actually, well, released, if you can. First, hardware prices are dropping all the time. Second, and this should be the most obvious one: no official specs have been released as of yet. None. Nada. Zero. Zilch.

A generic 450w PSU is definitely something anyone with any sense would advise against. A crap PSU can blow and take other components with it. 450w would be ok if it were from a good brand like thermaltake or corsair etc, but even then you don't want the bare minimum, and at least 500w is recommend for modern graphics cards

A generic 450w PSU is definitely something anyone with any sense would advise against. A crap PSU can blow and take other components with it. 450w would be ok if it were from a good brand like thermaltake or corsair etc, but even then you don't want the bare minimum, and at least 500w is recommend for modern graphics cards

Yupp if you know you have a pretty darn demanding setup, there's not reason to go with the cheapest solution available. But while I wholly agree with you that a good PSU is underrated a component, there's also a lot of myths being tossed around.

Most companies offering the configure pc yourself will build it for free or deliver in parts for you to build. IOf they build it for free then let them do it.

For the spec and if it does what you want then its worth the money. However I personally would go for Vista home 32 bit and just install 3-4gb ram.

They may build it for free but they also go for the cheapest products if you don't specify what you want.

Like other have said a 450w PSU is going to cause nothing but trouble, 8 GB of RAM is unneeded - anything more than 2 GB is uneeded, tbh.

They may build it for free but they also go for the cheapest products if you don't specify what you want.

Like other have said a 450w PSU is going to cause nothing but trouble, 8 GB of RAM is unneeded - anything more than 2 GB is uneeded, tbh.

The whol idea of a configute it yourself PC is that you do choose the componets, right down to CPU coolers, PSU's and cases. In terms of PSU I would go 600 to 650. Depending on your mobo you may in the future want to put a faster / bigger card in. These days with fast CPU's the restricter is generally the graphics card and graphics card ram you have rather than the CPU.

I definately put in 4gb RAM even though most you can use with 32bit operating systems is 3.2gb. If money is no object then get a mobo that cvan utilise faster DDR2 ram say at 1066. You could consider DDR3 ram but this is expensive at the moment

The OP is wants to waste all his money, let him.

Bad processor

Wasted ram unless 64 bit OS

bad graphics

Also to the person who suggested better memory it only matters if overclocking, if the OP wont build his own comp he obviously wont be overclocking.

making ddr3 a bigger waste of time.

im now getting a quad core i already have a graphics card so no reason to buy a new one and im going to either downgrade to 4gig ram or go 64 bit as you say

Also to the person who suggested better memory it only matters if overclocking, if the OP wont build his own comp he obviously wont be overclocking.

making ddr3 a bigger waste of time.

Not necessarily. Overclockers lets you configure your own PC including the choice of an overclocked sytem, an overclocked CPU and RAM

Even an already built PC can easily be overclocked just through windows utilities without even getting into BIOS. If you select the right mobo then some of these are made to be especially an advantage to overclocking

Overclocking is no longer limited to the land of the geeks

With respect to the OP you are correct. We can oly give advice based upon our own knowledge and preferences. At the end of the day its his money so how he spends it is his choice, even if its not ours :)

im now getting a quad core i already have a graphics card so no reason to buy a new one and im going to either downgrade to 4gig ram or go 64 bit as you say

Personally I'd go 4gb with 32bit Vista.

What quad core you going for. Q6600 is relatively cheap these days and easily overclocked to 3.2. Its plenty fast enough as it is.

Check out the quad core CPU prices and get the best in your range. I'd also go for 768 or 1024mb graphics card if you can afford. Even the top games like Crysis should run fine

What quad core you going for. Q6600 is relatively cheap these days and easily overclocked to 3.2. Its plenty fast enough as it is.

Check out the quad core CPU prices and get the best in your range. I'd also go for 768 or 1024mb graphics card if you can afford. Even the top games like Crysis should run fine

4 GB on a 32-bit system is a SLIGHT waste of money. 32-bit operating systems can only use up to 3.5GB of RAM. As for graphics card, the 512mb version of the 8800GT or 8800GTS will **** on Crysis, you won't need 768mb. Possible consider the HD4750 and HD4550 from ATI.

768mb or higher GPU would only waste more of his money. He said he is mainly using it for FM. Can't go wrong with a Q6600 though.

ive seen this one as im looking for an AMD package

AMD Phenom Quad Core 9850 (4 x 2.5GHz) 2MB Black Edition

not sure what its like

4 GB on a 32-bit system is a SLIGHT waste of money. 32-bit operating systems can only use up to 3.5GB of RAM. As for graphics card, the 512mb version of the 8800GT or 8800GTS will **** on Crysis, you won't need 768mb. Possible consider the HD4750 and HD4550 from ATI.

Please see my earlier posts I'm well aware of 32bit operating restrictions on RAM. RAM is relatively cheap these days so its not a big deal in this case

On the basis you are buying paired RAM then buying 2 x 1gb Ram and 2 x 512gb Ram will not be much different to buying 4 x 1gb ram these days. Ideally buying 2 x2gb modules will be better as he can then easily add memory with no waste when he moves to 64bit Vista assuming the mobo has 4 ram slots

I personally think a 512 card will max out on full settings running crisis. 22 inch monitors are relatively cheap these days so running at the better resolution will cause problems. With most decent pc systems its the GPU's (graphics) that are the restricting graphics, not the cpu.

At the end of the day its down to his budget and its easy to get carried away when creating a pC spec

Best rule of thumb generally is get the best CPU and Graphic card you can afford as these are normally more expensive top upgrade. Alternatively get a mobo that allows SLI and then at al ater date add another 512card in sli or crossfire. Its always worth having one eye to future upgrade options

ive seen this one as im looking for an AMD package

AMD Phenom Quad Core 9850 (4 x 2.5GHz) 2MB Black Edition

not sure what its like

Is this machine for FM09 only or you looking to play other games? If only so then as the early poster says a 512 card will be fine. In fairness 512 is still damn good

I think currently Intel have the edge on AMD. I think the AMD Phenom 9850 and Intel Q6600 are equally priced and similar performance. However the Phenom I think is AMD's top quad where as the Q6600 has been out classed by newer Intel Quads.

I've always been an AMD man in the past but I think Intel is back in charge. I have no strong views on the 2 cpu's. maybe look for a google compare review?

I personally would go Q6600, others may disagree. Both will fly thats for sure and have no problem with FM09.

Please see my earlier posts I'm well aware of 32bit operating restrictions on RAM. RAM is relatively cheap these days so its not a big deal in this case

On the basis you are buying paired RAM then buying 2 x 1gb Ram and 2 x 512gb Ram will not be much different to buying 4 x 1gb ram these days. Ideally buying 2 x2gb modules will be better as he can then easily add memory with no waste when he moves to 64bit Vista assuming the mobo has 4 ram slots

I personally think a 512 card will max out on full settings running crisis. 22 inch monitors are relatively cheap these days so running at the better resolution will cause problems. With most decent pc systems its the GPU's (graphics) that are the restricting graphics, not the cpu.

At the end of the day its down to his budget and its easy to get carried away when creating a pC spec

Best rule of thumb generally is get the best CPU and Graphic card you can afford as these are normally more expensive top upgrade. Alternatively get a mobo that allows SLI and then at al ater date add another 512card in sli or crossfire. Its always worth having one eye to future upgrade options

A Q6600 overclocked to 3.2 with 2gb of DDR2 memory and an 8800GT running on windows XP is enough to run crysis at high at 1680 x 1050 on a 22" monitor. I know because it's the setup I used to play it. These parts are fairly cheap by now and are probably by far the most popular configuration for people who build their own systems

I will also say there's no real benefit of "upgrading" to vista yet. XP is faster and more stable. But that's just my opinion

I'm aware of calulators, Im also aware that trying to run a decent setup on a 450w is not a good idea. The PSU is probably the most important hardware to get right. IF thats not good enough, you're going to have alot of problems. 450w is the very very minimum anyone should be putting in a new system.

450w is the very very minimum anyone should be putting in a new system.

While for the time being we have to assume a rather generic brand is built into the system above, saying such is just not right. The reason manufacturers are listing such exaggerated figures is because your average generic PSU just doesn't cut it in terms of efficiency, plus that a PSU is being sold on its peak wattage, rather than its continous supply. I'm running a decent 450W one myself, with 30A on the ever important 12V rail, and I fail to see how I could ever reach its limit without running two higher end video cards in SLI mode. The mainstream cards of each new line draw multiple times less power than their high end counterparts. Obviously, if you're into serious enthusiast gaming systems such like that, you pick a PSU accordingly to your needs. Absolutely. Your average machine? Barely a tickle, really.

Archived