Managing in MLS

I live in US for 3 years not, but i ve never been tempted to manage a MLS team. My main concerns were linked to the strange transfer system and lack of motivation since the only strong teams you ll play will be the friendlys with teams from UK.

Did you ever managed US teams? Is it hard to get the player you want and avoid that draft thing?

I live in US for 3 years not, but i ve never been tempted to manage a MLS team. My main concerns were linked to the strange transfer system and lack of motivation since the only strong teams you ll play will be the friendlys with teams from UK.

Did you ever managed US teams? Is it hard to get the player you want and avoid that draft thing?

i managed LA Galaxy for a year and won the MLS with beckham scoring 29 goals in 36 games. i got bored and resigned and now manage reading lol. its was ok but the draft thing was bizarre and most the players available on the draft are baws. you can still just pay cash for a player no bother so stick to that.

i managed LA Galaxy for a year and won the MLS with beckham scoring 29 goals in 36 games. i got bored and resigned and now manage reading lol. its was ok but the draft thing was bizarre and most the players available on the draft are baws. you can still just pay cash for a player no bother so stick to that.

so, if you wanna buy a specific player you can go ahead and pay cash? ( as long as you have it:))

what about finances and reputation?

As long as the player is outside of your league/not a youth player in the lower US divisions, you can pay cash (Argentina is a great place to find cheap talent.) MLS players can only be traded and youth players are only available in the draft. The draft has a been a well-known problem area in the game for a couple of years as the players available are horrible in terms of current ability. In fact, I just used FMM to alter the abilities of all 125 players available for the draft in my game. Nothing like seeing a 22 year-old with a PA of 176 and a CA of 64.

thanks a lot guys. i was looking for a new challange in fm08 to keep me busy till 09 comes out. seems like i have to keep looking:)

You might enjoy getting to learn the rules and playing for two seasons or so .. my Beckham didn't score 29, he netted only 7 for L.A. Galaxy, and I didn't romp to the league title. (The Galaxy have a lot of fatal flaws.)

I do have to admit I was hoping that the MLS would be improved for FM'08 more than it was, however; the draft thing is a bit of a deal-breaker for long-term play. Its only worth keeping the first-round draft choices, and even then it takes a lot of playing time management to get the players to develop.

You might enjoy the thread Official FM'09 - Some MLS Changes in this forum for seeing what's been announced for '09, and the thread MLS Issues in the Bugs forum for an indication of what the problems were with '08.

Archived