Best Formation

I play the christmas tree formation, 4-3-2-1. Although its a bit out of season

Did you know if you use that formation in the game when you have a match on the 25th or the 26th of December...no matter what...you will always win, you can beat Man Utd with Stevenage Borough?

I use 4-4-2 diamond formation with wingers very useful! Although i wouldn't agree that narrow is the best way for fm... i find my team plays happily well going wide and if i am finding it hard to break down opposition i will go wider and slightly more direct... Always works and find myself winning even those that would seem impossible when the keeper is saving everything! :thup:

I tend to do either a 4-1-4-1 (with a roaming DMC) or a 4-5-1 (with my wingers coming up as forwards when in possession & the 2nd and 4th midfielders dropping back as DMCs when the opponent is in possession). I usually have a higher number of versatile midfielders on the team, which allows me to move them around into different roles.

FM07:

4-3-3, with a DM, 2 MCs with farrows, and FL/R with barrows. Works like a charm.

4-1-3-2 with three AMCs with farrows, used when chasing the game.

Finally, the one is use most is a 4-2-2-2. 2 MC and AMR/L.

I always give full backs farrows, but I remove these if I think the AI is going to go 4-2-4.

I play a 4-1-2-2-1 (GK DR DL DC DC DMC MC MC AMR AML FC) or as I've named it, the 'Swansea City' :D

Play attacking mentality, with width, short passing and high tempo.

Play zonal marking and select 'counter attack'

2 MC's both have forward runs

DMC and both MC all given free roles

Works a treat:thup:

I have a whole lot of formations, and I'm an idiot, because I forget which is best. I tend to be a bit too "tinkerman"-ish.

But 3 formations that I'm very please with are:

1) a simple 4-4-2 but with the ML and MR with arrows to AMC (off course not to the very central, but the ones next to it). It gives more variation to the game, as the players sometimes run down the wings, or get it in a great creative position, with lots of options around him. If one of the wide men gets it in a more central version of the wing, the other wide man will run more towards a playable position in the AMC. So there are alot of options for key passes! There's the wingback who comes forward, two MC's, one AMC and two strikers. The player on the ball are virtually surrounded by options!

2) 4-2-3-1. 4 on the defense naturally, 2 MC's with either one or two of them with barrows, 3 AMC's with arrows to wide and a striker. But with WB's with farrows. Those farrows works wonders!

3) I have customised a tactic for the "annoying" teams, like Arsenal and such. 4-1-2-3 with 1 DMC, 2 MC, 1 FR and 1 FL and 1 ST. WB's have farrows up one pos. to ensure that they have great balance in attacking and defensive (the trick is to tone their mentality a bit down, so the two things works together). The FL and FR have arrows towards the penalty area, so that they are wide for most accounts, but also works as regular strikers when the attack are build up by passing. The main factor here is that it's a counter attacking tactics down the wings, to take advantage of the very offensive backs these teams use. Works wonders as long as you have solid defenders!

At the moment it's a 3-5-2 with wingbacks, a sweeper and a defensive midfielder. In the game it thinks it's a 5-3-2 - I guess technically it's a 1-2-2-3-2. Meh, anyway, the sweeper has a forward arrow and zonal marking, higher closing down than the central defenders and has to be quick so he can chase any loose balls down. The defenders man mark, tight with easy tackling, the wingbacks also man mark, as do the two more attacking midfielders - the defensive mid is really the middle midfielder with a back arrow and has zonal marking. Add to this short passing and a quick tempo and it can be lovely to watch, even with a lower league team. :)

I don't put forward arrows on my wingbacks purely because when I was using a 4-4-2 formation, I took the forward arrows away from the wingers and found they got forward a lot more at key moments, making more chances. Very odd.

Archived