Football manager 2009 question

the thing is, you shouldn't be able to win the champinosleague with a welsh league team anyway.

the reason?

well you'd have to have a high enough team rep,league rep to attract the sort of players capable of winning the champions league BEFORE you won it.

so if you are managing to win the champinos league i'd say thats the problem.

i would like to see league reputation increase though. but not just because one team manages to win something. i doubt the league rep in real life would go up by much if the league had 20 teams in and 19 teams were terrrible and one team was capable of winning the champions league.

Its a bit daft that it doesn't change.

Also in wales i noticed that crowd sizes dont change even when your a really successful team' date=' is this down to league reputation???[/quote']

i would say it 'should' be down to the encatchment area.

how many fans do you think caermathen town should feasibly be able to get when their playing in a small welsh league? i dont believe that someone from manchester who has never been to wales would support them.

but someone from london may support manchester despite the fact they've never been to that part of the country.

i would like to see league reputation increase though. but not just because one team manages to win something. i doubt the league rep in real life would go up by much if the league had 20 teams in and 19 teams were terrrible and one team was capable of winning the champions league.

I agree to an extent, but teams like Lyon and Celtic doing well in the CL have improved the rep of their respective leagues surely, whereas Porto winning it didn't have much of an impact on their league. I suppose it depends on the league/country etc and there would be too many things to take into account to make it realistic and fair.

it's grows in fm 07 and fm 08,

I was Valur (club from Iceland) in season 15 I won the CL with this club, and also in season 16 and 17, my opponent teams in the league have really good players now, one of them won the Euro Cup, in year 2024 Iceland reach the semi final of Euro 2024.

So it is growing, but very slow.

I think for fm09 is the same

it's grows in fm 07 and fm 08,

I was Valur (club from Iceland) in season 15 I won the CL with this club, and also in season 16 and 17, my opponent teams in the league have really good players now, one of them won the Euro Cup, in year 2024 Iceland reach the semi final of Euro 2024.

So it is growing, but very slow.

I think for fm09 is the same

It doesn't grow in 07 and 08.

I won the CL 5 times with a Russian team in FM07 and made the knock out stages every season for about 15 years, but I was still losing my best players to teams like Watford and Palermo.

the thing is, you shouldn't be able to win the champinosleague with a welsh league team anyway.

the reason?

well you'd have to have a high enough team rep,league rep to attract the sort of players capable of winning the champions league BEFORE you won it.

yeah but its not as drastic as going from winning nothing to winning the CL. If i got to 3QR, then a few years later groups, then I would want to keep improving. and withouth the league rep improving slightly, I think you would hit a rut.

i would say it 'should' be down to the encatchment area.

how many fans do you think caermathen town should feasibly be able to get when their playing in a small welsh league? i dont believe that someone from manchester who has never been to wales would support them.

but someone from london may support manchester despite the fact they've never been to that part of the country.

Aberystwyth has a population of 8,000 + 12,000 students in term time (Footie Season)

The current low is about 150 per game, Average 250/300. High 600.

Now i believe if aberystwyth signed some half decent players due to the success of the team, then they should easily average at least 1000 per match, but it only seems to happen for the big european ties!

and where the hell do the 14,000 come from for the european tie anyway?

It doesn't grow in 07 and 08.

I won the CL 5 times with a Russian team in FM07 and made the knock out stages every season for about 15 years, but I was still losing my best players to teams like Watford and Palermo.

Hello Misodoctakleidist

The countries reputation does grow. If you check out the co-effecients table in Europe, it changes every season depending on the success of your league clubs in European competitions.

Example of this is in season 1 FM2008 England co-effecients indicator is 2nd place with 68.540 points. This will increase depending on how successful the English clubs are. Same for Russian or any other European country.

To view data, goto World, Europe, select competition, co-effecients & nation.

the reason?

That is one area where FM should always veer away from realism though, otherwise it would be utterly boring. Sure it should be hard to win the Champions League with a Welsh team, but not 100% impossible.

It is unrealistic to win it with some village team from the lower English leagues, but that still happens because the progression up the English leagues (which is the unrealistic part) grows your club as you go.

That is one area where FM should always veer away from realism though, otherwise it would be utterly boring. Sure it should be hard to win the Champions League with a Welsh team, but not 100% impossible.

It is unrealistic to win it with some village team from the lower English leagues, but that still happens because the progression up the English leagues (which is the unrealistic part) grows your club as you go.

THANK THE LORD, someone who listens on this board

I hear stories of people taking the worst conference n/s side and claiming they have won 20 premierships and 10 champions leagues.

Now surely that aint highly realistic neither? C'mon SI, level the playing field!

Hello Misodoctakleidist

The countries reputation does grow. If you check out the co-effecients table in Europe, it changes every season depending on the success of your league clubs in European competitions.

Example of this is in season 1 FM2008 England co-effecients indicator is 2nd place with 68.540 points. This will increase depending on how successful the English clubs are. Same for Russian or any other European country.

Your team and nation co-effecients have nothing to do with league reputation though.

One of the first bugs I reported on FM08 within days of it coming out was that I had taken an irish team to the group stages of the Champ's League, because of the Summer vs Winter league differences between Ireland and England, I could happily sign young players and old vets from English premiership clubs, then the second my season re-started they'd all freak out, demand moves to bigger clubs and leave a team STILL playing games in the champions league for a club in English league 1 or the Championship, hollering how happy they were to move to a bigger club.

It was explained that the issue was that when seasons start, club reputation is reduced to the maximum the league reputation will allow it to be. Thus clubs can never get bigger.

Equally as shocking it was discovered that top teams in the likes of (if I remember) Scotland and France lose reputation at the end of the first season because the team's reputation at the start of the game is bigger then the league will allow them to be! Thus top clubs like Lyon, Celtic, Rangers or PSG will always be 'smaller' compared to teams competing for UEFA cup spots in Spain, Italy, England, etc.

Hello Misodoctakleidist

As Spagbol says, that has nothing to do with reputation.

People have been complaining about this problem for years. It really damages the realism of managing in a "small" league. I wish they would fix it.

the reason?

If league rep rose over time with success, why not?

Manage a few good runs in europe, grow your own rep and the league rep (more slowly), get in better players, do slightly better still...

Eventually that money filters down through the league, other teams improve as well... over 30-40 seasons a league could rise from "wales" to "holland", where the better teams have some chance at least of doing okay in europe.

Once at that level, a good year and you lift the trophy.

As long as it's slowly built gradual improvements, it would be realistic.

One of the first bugs I reported on FM08 within days of it coming out was that I had taken an irish team to the group stages of the Champ's League, because of the Summer vs Winter league differences between Ireland and England, I could happily sign young players and old vets from English premiership clubs, then the second my season re-started they'd all freak out, demand moves to bigger clubs and leave a team STILL playing games in the champions league for a club in English league 1 or the Championship, hollering how happy they were to move to a bigger club.

It was explained that the issue was that when seasons start, club reputation is reduced to the maximum the league reputation will allow it to be. Thus clubs can never get bigger.

Equally as shocking it was discovered that top teams in the likes of (if I remember) Scotland and France lose reputation at the end of the first season because the team's reputation at the start of the game is bigger then the league will allow them to be! Thus top clubs like Lyon, Celtic, Rangers or PSG will always be 'smaller' compared to teams competing for UEFA cup spots in Spain, Italy, England, etc.

I don't know what else to say but: "Well that stinks!". C'mon SI, you can do it!

If league rep rose over time with success, why not?

Manage a few good runs in europe, grow your own rep and the league rep (more slowly), get in better players, do slightly better still...

Eventually that money filters down through the league, other teams improve as well... over 30-40 seasons a league could rise from "wales" to "holland", where the better teams have some chance at least of doing okay in europe.

Once at that level, a good year and you lift the trophy.

As long as it's slowly built gradual improvements, it would be realistic.

that's the sort of thing i would like to see.

what i took teh request to be, and probably what the majority of people want is for the rep to rise quite dramatically. i wouldn't be surprised if people were winning the champinos league with a poor team in a poor league quite early on and now they expect all the top class players to join them.

this shouldn't happen but i'm all for slow and realistic league rep increases over a long period of time.

i'm not quite sure how it improves in real life though.

Well I am afraid it won't grow.. I know that wouldn't be realistic, as in real life there are more than one reasons for it to stay put, but it would add an element of fun if it would. For example, star players wouldn't move to Romania, because of the clubs inability to pay their wages. Of course, clubs can get loads of money, but due to the system, their wages would be impossible to be payed.

You can get good players after a while, as the rep of the teams can grow and you can also get money by winning tournaments. After winning the UCL a couple of times on FM07, I actually managed to get a 28 years old Dani Carvalho to Ferencvaros ;D

Archived