Since footballs about money these days, how about this

Do you like myself be a smallish premierleague team and you have your heart set on a player, you negotiate a good fee and then you offer him a contract and he is not interested.

Well since these days most players just want to get as much money as possible (Robinho being the player on most people lips at the moment).

I had the idea if a team such at Wigan, went in for a player like Gomes of Stuttgart the player would be interested in a move, however they would have to pay £80k a week wages, and fight off other big teams trying to sign him.

I thourght with so much money surrounding football and players just wanthing as much as they can get, this would be a good feature to the game, as it may enable teams to get a big summer sighning in every now and again.

What do you guys think.

No.

Not all players are money orientated.

Would you rather play for Barcelona for 40K a week or Wigan for 80K a week?

Money over a certain point can sustain a lifestyle of the majority of peoples dreams.

Unless you have a massive coke habit, money is unlikely to influence every footballers career.

It needs to be a partial aspect. Not the whole hog though.

Look at it this way. People like Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes at Manchester United could have probably gotten much more lucrative contracts away from their boyhood clubs, but decided to stay. The loyalty / fan aspect needs to be there, and in fact already is within FM.

Have you tried offering all your budget to some young players? They simply refuse and prefer rot in the reserves of some big team with minimium wage. Money must have a bigger impact in the game.

Thats one of two things.

1) Si made it harder to snap up youngsters like that. Rightly or wrongly, it's not because the money thing isn't in there.

2) They already have pre-contracts so you can never actually sign them, well until they turn 17.

Robinho only had the choice of one club if he wanted first team football - it was Man City or warming the bench. Chelsea's offer was refused. I'm not saying that the money didn't have an influence, but the media portayal of the move has left people with a very skewed percerption.

It's not that money should have more of an influence, it's that players should have a better understanding of their situation at their club and therefore more desire to move, which then brings the money into play. I would love to see deadline day on FM where players feel backed into a corner and have to take the deal on offer. Even better would be if the media continued to speculate about the player leaving his new club e.g. like Michael Owen.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I tried being Man City with the new (unofficial) update and signed a few very good players (Matias Fernandez wasn't interested until I waved £80k per week under his nose), but a lot of players refused and stuck by that (Lahm turned down my £125k per week offer to stay at FC Bayern on £45k).

I think FM08 has a decent balance between mercenaries and loyal players. Kaka has just come out and said he would not join Man City IRL.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I tried being Man City with the new (unofficial) update and signed a few very good players (Matias Fernandez wasn't interested until I waved £80k per week under his nose), but a lot of players refused and stuck by that (Lahm turned down my £125k per week offer to stay at FC Bayern on £45k).

I think FM08 has a decent balance between mercenaries and loyal players. Kaka has just come out and said he would not join Man City IRL.

so did pretty much everyone who man city were interested in aswell lol :D

lets see what happens when the money is actually on the table (i still reckon they will stand by what just said though)

Players IRL seem to move / not move for one or more of several reasons:

- Money

- Chance to win trophies

- Play in first team

- Play in better league

- Loyalty to club of my dreams

Money is obvious. Big pay is, after all, tempting for what it can do for you and tangible. Not only personally, but it can be an indication of the ambition of the club and of other players in the squad. It is not always the most important issue (most often, I think it isn't), but to pretend it's not important is lying to yourself.

Chance to win trophies is also obvious. That's why players like to transfers to team that are top in their country or continent, regardless of pay package.

First team football is also an obvious factor. Again, how important this is, depends on the player. Some players seem more than content to get their pay and rot in the reserves.

A better league usually, but not always, means better money. Players move to Spain, Italy and England at least partly because of the higher level of play. This is a means to develop yourself as a player. Nothing works better to develop your own skills than surrounding yourself with others who are better than you to force yourself to push your boundaries that much farther along.

I always take the Club of my dreams with a big heap of salt. Every club a player moves to is said to be that player's big dream. Until the next big dream comes along of course. That said, loyalty can play a role; IMHO, it comes into play more often in the clubs the player doesn't move to than in extending their stay at a smaller club. So, you may not move to a big rival in your minor league, but moving to the Premiership is a whole different matter. Even if you are a diehard supporter of Barca, I don't think many players would turn down Real Madrid, assuming they're not currently playing at one of the top teams already.

Loyalty also shows when players sometimes return to a club in the closing stages of a career (e.g. Philip Cocu and PSV).

so did pretty much everyone who man city were interested in aswell lol :D

lets see what happens when the money is actually on the table (i still reckon they will stand by what just said though)

That depends. A ManCity with only Robinho is perhaps not interesting. A ManCity with a couple superstars however, is a whole different story. Imagine that Kaka breaks and signs for ManCity; this would immediately make ManCity much more attractive to other top players; not for the money, but for the chance to play with Kaka. More top players also means a better shot at trophies. Again, more attractive.

History and reputation cannot be bought, but attractiveness to other players, well, you'd be mad to deny that it's feasible to someone with pockets deep enough.

Not maybe to a crazy extent of ronaldinho to hull etc, but something on the level of small teams getting some good players, but paying ALOT.

put the loyalty hidden stat into the transfers more and maybe add greed.

I believe Hull wouldn't want Ronaldinho anyway

No.

Not all players are money orientated.

Would you rather play for Barcelona for 40K a week or Wigan for 80K a week?

Money over a certain point can sustain a lifestyle of the majority of peoples dreams.

Unless you have a massive coke habit, money is unlikely to influence every footballers career.

Introduce a hidden money orientation stat?

Surely ambition is all about trophies? It is, in some senses (Robinho for example) the other end of the spectrum to being money-minded. Would you sign for Man City if you had very high ambition?!

Yes, so it works the other way as well and someone with low ambition and low loyalty would be interested only in money.

Archived