Are players (on FM) driven by money?

After all this Man City takeover news and them now saying that money is no object and will offer upto £500k PER WEEK for the top players.....surely no player in real life would turn that down, be it Man City, Man Utd or Luton (i know i know wouldn't happen) but in the game are the players driven by money?

If say i edited the game to give a lower team maximum money and wage budget, would they be able to get any player they wanted in the game?

No, they wouldn't be able to get any player they wanted, not all players are driven by money and this is represented in the game. There are hidden attributes e.g. loyalty, professionalism, ambition etc that determine a players personality, which in turn would determine their decisions in the transfer market.

PS, £500k is amazing, but whatever wage they are on the players are pretty much guaranteed to become millionaires and be extremely comfortable. I don't think professionals like Giggs or Shearer etc, who seemed to have football hearts would accept money over loyalty/success.

If I was a footballer I wouldn't care how much I was earning for 3 reasons;

1. I'd be on more money than I could ever imagine having.

2. I'd be playing for the club I love.

3. I'd be a footballer for god sake.

I would play for my team, for £1 a week if I could.

Plus in honesty, if I was playing for a big club i'd be very rich indeed, is there really that much of a difference between £500k and £80k per week. You would be able to afford almost anything on either wage so you could afford the luxury of loyalty.

Loyalty in football is mostly dead. Manchester United players can afford to be loyal because it's no hardship being loyal to a club who win trophies regularly and still pay you a huge wage (to me once you have a million quid and more it makes no real difference whether it is one or two million). Players like Alan Shearer and Matt Le Tissier are very very rare.

I wonder how Si will tackle this now in fm 2009 - will they adjust man city's reputation ? Or just give them shed loads of cash/wages available ? Or Both ?

It's primarily the researchers area, but I'd suggest a slight reputation bump and a wad of cash (and a sugar daddy).

In FM, I recently had a 22 year old player reject £80k per week to join Liverpool on £45k per week. Liverpool is the higher reputation club, so I can well understand it.

Plus in honesty, if I was playing for a big club i'd be very rich indeed, is there really that much of a difference between £500k and £80k per week. You would be able to afford almost anything on either wage so you could afford the luxury of loyalty.

Me and all my mates said this exact same thing the other day, we were talkin about Anton Ferdinand's transfer to Sunderland. I argued that he could have just stayed with West Ham if he didn't want to leave (as he was sold by the board rather than the manager) and my mates all replied, yeah but Sunderland doubled his wages from x amount to x amount (both equally rediculously large).

If I had been Anton, was playing for my boyhood dream club (Barnsley in my case) and a club (of similar stature) came in and offered me double wages (and I was on huge wages anyway) I would turn them down and stay at Barnsley, purely due to the fact I would find pulling on that red jersey every week as payment enough, also to see the pride in my dads face, heck I would play for the reds for free (In fact Chris Morgan did this when we went bankrupt, the sole reason he will always be a legend in my eyes).

It works out decently if the player is unsettled, but not otherwise. I re-signed Derek Riordan for my Hibernian team (before I heard he would be doing the same in real life) because he was not getting first team football at Celtic. There's another classic example of a foootballer going for money ahead of loyalty when he originally moved (although in fairness he probably also moved to win trophies - he just should have realised that Celtic and Rangers always buy up young Scottish talent and then let a lot of them rot!)

Thinking about the things you are passionate about, I would go for 500k a week, although it would be tough. The things I wanna do take quite alot of money, when you get paid THAT much you have a moral, ethical, and social responsibility to contribute to society so wouldn't more money = more contribution? Obviously depends on what kind of person you are but thats how I would see it. Imagine if some real swell football player donated 400k to cancer research, orphan children and sick puppies every week?

Wow, I was really being a pretentious **** there. But really, who actually needs THAT much money? What can you do with it? Burn it? Swim in it? Eat it? Make kites? Make more money? Then what are you gonna do with that?

Oh I got it, if I were to keep the money it would be a retirement fund with which I will buy a lower league club to play with.

Me and all my mates said this exact same thing the other day, we were talkin about Anton Ferdinand's transfer to Sunderland. I argued that he could have just stayed with West Ham if he didn't want to leave (as he was sold by the board rather than the manager) and my mates all replied, yeah but Sunderland doubled his wages from x amount to x amount (both equally rediculously large).

If I had been Anton, was playing for my boyhood dream club (Barnsley in my case) and a club (of similar stature) came in and offered me double wages (and I was on huge wages anyway) I would turn them down and stay at Barnsley, purely due to the fact I would find pulling on that red jersey every week as payment enough, also to see the pride in my dads face, heck I would play for the reds for free (In fact Chris Morgan did this when we went bankrupt, the sole reason he will always be a legend in my eyes).

You only say that cos its a hypothetical question - should it be reality i bet you if somebody said "here have £500k a week! - Holiday home? here have 3 on us! - Need a new car? Sure we have loads, take one"......you wouldn't say "no thanks i would rather stay at Barnsley" - you'd like to think you would but you would be a fool to turn it all down. Infact if you really did want to play for Barnsley then you could even join this club for a season or two earn enough money to set you and your family up for life and then re-join Barnsley for no wage at all.

These days every footballer wants to:

a) earn as much money as they can

b) play in the best league

c) play for the most successful club

d) win trophies

its true a lot of footballers want to get as much as they can - after all most of them retire in their early/mid thirties - the loyalty of the past seems to be dying out.You get selfish players these days like Ronaldo etc who are all about the money.. Saying that there are some players in the game today that do love their club and want to stay there for life no matter what the money is on offer but football is much more of a business these days than it ever was.

You only say that cos its a hypothetical question - should it be reality i bet you if somebody said "here have £500k a week! - Holiday home? here have 3 on us! - Need a new car? Sure we have loads, take one"......you wouldn't say "no thanks i would rather stay at Barnsley" - you'd like to think you would but you would be a fool to turn it all down. Infact if you really did want to play for Barnsley then you could even join this club for a season or two earn enough money to set you and your family up for life and then re-join Barnsley for no wage at all.

These days every footballer wants to:

a) earn as much money as they can

b) play in the best league

c) play for the most successful club

d) win trophies

I can honestly say I would stay with Barnsley, there are more things to life than money, and yes I am stupid. If I was playing for anybody else I would take the money and wouldn't care less about the club, fans etc.

My other eason for staying would be, I would rather be a big fish in a small pond, rather than a small fish in a big pond, but that says a lot more about me than anything else really.

;)

There is one essential difference that makes me think I would stay loyal rather than take the money, life experience. I've experienced working hard ( :p ), working for minimum wage, struggling to pay a mortgage etc etc, whereas footballers never have and so money is just a figure to them. Earning even £2,000 a week at Barnsley would be a dream come true for many people and because they have experienced the harder times the difference between being rich and being super rich is minimal.

You're comparing us to footballers, but we're fans, footballers aren't. My dad starting supporting Man Utd when they got relegated in the 70's and the smile on his face when they lifted the CL earlier this year meant a million times more than Cristiano Ronaldo's tears, do I believe that he would take loyalty over money? Hell yes.

You're comparing us to footballers, but we're fans, footballers aren't. My dad starting supporting Man Utd when they got relegated in the 70's and the smile on his face when they lifted the CL earlier this year meant a million times more than Cristiano Ronaldo's tears, do I believe that he would take loyalty over money? Hell yes.

A few members of my family have played for Barnsley including my Dad in the dark old (fourth division) days of the 60's and 70's. If I now ran out playing for them in the Championship only to walk out to go to somewhere, like dare I say it Sheff Weds, cos they offered more money, no lie he would kill me.

In my view FM08 doesn't take enough account of wages offered when a player decides which contract to accept. I hope it's something that is improved in FM09.

As others have said, there's a myriad of reasons for us saying, hypothetically, that we'd turn down extra money to play for a club that we support. However, looking at the evidence available, that's very rarely the case for professional footballers.

I don't really know how you can tell if the game doesn't take accont of wages or does. Sure, we can see if a player has chosen a better contract if they sign elsewhere, but there's no way of knowing if a player we sign was offered more money at another club, but chose our club because of loyalty or professionalism, or if they chose our club because we were offering great money.

On FM it appears yes, unfortunately.

Mind you, there are some extreme examples.

1) In wales, on FM players seem to swap clubs all too readily when IRL they dont, they are fairly loyal, some very loyal

2) However, I rtied to sign my favourie aberystwyth player (Glyndwr Hughes) for Man Utd, as a reward for the years of good service he gave me early in my career. Despite my increase of his wages from £200 a week to £47,000 a week, and a £1m signing on fee....he still refused. Now is that loyalty or stupidity?

On FM it appears yes' date=' unfortunately.

1) In wales, on FM players seem to swap clubs all too readily when IRL they dont, they are fairly loyal, some very loyal

2) However, I rtied to sign my favourie aberystwyth player (Glyndwr Hughes) for Man Utd, as a reward for the years of good service he gave me early in my career. Despite my increase of his wages from £200 a week to £47,000 a week, and a £1m signing on fee....he still refused. Now is that loyalty or stupidity?[/quote']

Well according to Nomis07 thats what he should do!

When we all know that in reality he'd be a fool to refuse it (and i can 99.9% guarantee that he wouldn't)

In FM reputation generally governs which teams a player will be interested in signing for. However, is this not the same in real life for the most part? Man City have not only been given a massive financial boost, because of there recent media coverage they will no doubt have had a rise in reputation, the same thing happens whenever a club irl gets a large cash injection. But also, irl, if a team like Darlington suddenly received a massive amount of money and could afford extortionate wages, it still wouldn't be enough to pursuade the likes of Kaka or Ronaldo to go and play for Darlington.

If the teams are of reasonably close ability, ie in the same quality of league, then irl money may be a big factor in a players decision of who to play for. But not always, certain players will not play for certain clubs regardless of the money offered.

In the game it is similar. If you're a poorer team in a top league but have loads of cash you can quite often sign players who would otherwise not be interested. There have been a few times when I've gotten to the contract negotiation stage with a player just to have them say they aren't interested in joining me. Then, after offering them rediculous wages, they have suddenly change their minds and agreed to join me.

Well according to Nomis07 thats what he should do!

When we all know that in reality he'd be a fool to refuse it (and i can 99.9% guarantee that he wouldn't)

Lol, have you read any of my posts?!?

At no point did I challenge the assumption that a footballer would take money over loyalty, I was discussing it from a fans/laymans perspective :rolleyes:

On FM it appears yes' date=' unfortunately.

2) However, I rtied to sign my favourie aberystwyth player (Glyndwr Hughes) for Man Utd, as a reward for the years of good service he gave me early in my career. Despite my increase of his wages from £200 a week to £47,000 a week, and a £1m signing on fee....he still refused. Now is that loyalty or stupidity?[/quote']

At no point did I challenge the assumption that a footballer would take money over loyalty, I was discussing it from a fans/laymans perspective :rolleyes:

All im saying is if you WERE a footballer on £200 per week and Man Utd came knocking offering you £47,000 per week then you would go = FACT

Saying you would remain loyal to "your" team is rubbish....you'd like you think you would but in reality money talks!

When have you ever seen people on these forums read posts correctly?

I also agree 100% with chopper99, I have had players sign for me in FM, when they originally said they weren't interested, just because I offered insane wages.

I have also had players sign a new contract at relatively large clubs in small leagues (Isreal, Oz etc) sign another contract for me, turning down bigger clubs from abroad (probably for more money) to stay with me, saying 'their love for the club was behind them signing'. So it does happen in FM.

All im saying is if you WERE a footballer on £200 per week and Man Utd came knocking offering you £47,000 per week then you would go = FACT

Saying you would remain loyal to "your" team is rubbish....you'd like you think you would but in reality money talks!

Yes, but that's a completely different scenario to the opne you suggested earlier. Of course i'd forget loyalty in a situation like this, my point is that if I was a pro footballer on £80k a week I would already be rich, so the incentive to leave my £80k a week job for a £500k a week job is minimal.

The difference between £200 PW and £47k PW is enormous, but the difference between £80k and £500k isn't that great because either way you're rich.

Yes, but that's a completely different scenario to the opne you suggested earlier. Of course i'd forget loyalty in a situation like this, my point is that if I was a pro footballer on £80k a week I would already be rich, so the incentive to leave my £80k a week job for a £500k a week job is minimal.

The difference between £200 PW and £47k PW is enormous, but the difference between £80k and £500k isn't that great because either way you're rich.

Earlier you said:

I would play for my team, for £1 a week if I could..

Now you're saying that you wouldn't?!

If you kept your consistency then maybe i would read your posts!

hmmm....apparently not enormous enough :D

i often think the problem with FM is that LL players act the same as top league players, so with the exception of this particular scenario, other players flit around far too easy, when in fact Part time players dont move all that often

Earlier you said:

Now you're saying that you wouldn't?!

If you kept your consistency then maybe i would read your posts!

You're just becoming ignorant now. I would play for my team for £1 pw, if it was my only chance of playing professional football. I'll put it dead simple for you.

I said £1 because i'd love to be a pro footballer, but I assumed you would be of sufficient intelect to understand it was tongue in cheek and few people would do anything for £1.

Would I accept £47k over £200 even if it meant shafting my own team, yes who wouldn't.

Would I accept £500k over £47k, no because my view is that £47k brings wealth so the difference between £47k and £500k is minimal.

To begin with I thought this was just a general chat about football, but you've just turned it into the typical ranting of a cretin hell bent on forcing his views on others, with no real interest in debate or conversation.

I'd like to apologise for my previous post it was bit over the top so apologies to all, but I maintain my point.

Ddawg69, the difference between no money and millions is enormous, but the difference between being rich and being very rich is essentially minimal as you're limited in what more you can buy with that extra money, either way you can afford pretty much anything. People need to stop taking things at face value and read between the lines.

I'd like to apologise for my previous post it was bit over the top so apologies to all, but I maintain my point.

Ddawg69, the difference between no money and millions is enormous, but the difference between being rich and being very rich is essentially minimal as you're limited in what more you can buy with that extra money, either way you can afford pretty much anything. People need to stop taking things at face value and read between the lines.

I understand completely what your saying, just don't agree with it. There is alot you can do with 95m pound than there is with 16m. and as the years progress, the difference gets larger.

Now im a firm believer in work not getting in the way of your family or friends, or social life in general, however with that much money, you could own large business'. You could maybe even buy your favourite club. You could just play with the money, and try different things. You could provide for your whole family, not jsut your immediate.

Or, more importantly, you could do with your extra "minimal" money, something that not many others ahve done, and give it to people who are in need of it more. Anyone of your choice - charities, countries, organisations - anyone who is in need

You could set up youth acadamies if your love is football.

There is a million things you could do with that money.

that's true. once your on about 70k a week, if your not completely motivated by money then getting more money really isnt a factor for me. i mean 70k a week is more than enough. yes 500k is great but 70k isn't to be sniffed at. especially if your playing for your favourite club

Gdawg69, I guess what i'm saying is, on £47k per week you can afford the luxury of loyalty, loyalty becomes a burden when you're on £200 pw. Yes there's lots of things I could do with that extra money, but I could afford to choose loyalty over it because i'm still going to be rich, I couldn't afford to turn down £47k while earning £200.

that's true. once your on about 70k a week, if your not completely motivated by money then getting more money really isnt a factor for me. i mean 70k a week is more than enough. yes 500k is great but 70k isn't to be sniffed at. especially if your playing for your favourite club

A k a week would be nice, nevermind 70 of them :D

I fully agree with Nomis07.

I'm a student and to me £40k a week, hell £1k a week would feel like a million. But if I were on a £50k a week job then going to £150k a week would be just as huge a difference. When I'm on a £50k a week wage I can already afford anything I want.. the rest would just be given to family and charities anyway.

But in the end it comes down to the fact that some people dont need the larger things in life. I'm content with having a nice little home for my family and a steady job and good friends.. Money do not matter much to me. No matter if were talking thousands, millions or gazillions..

Gdawg69, I guess what i'm saying is, on £47k per week you can afford the luxury of loyalty, loyalty becomes a burden when you're on £200 pw. Yes there's lots of things I could do with that extra money, but I could afford to choose loyalty over it because i'm still going to be rich, I couldn't afford to turn down £47k while earning £200.

Ok, that makes perfect sense.

Next question - could you actually knock back 500k a week. You say you can, i very much doubt it to be fair. But will enver be proved

Next question - could you actually knock back 500k a week. You say you can, i very much doubt it to be fair. But will enver be proved

£47k pw is just short of what my wife an I earn in a year, so it would be absolutely lovely and I honestly think I could turn down £500k if I was with the club I support. If I was playing for anyone else i'd probably take the money and run :D

money is in real life, the game is quite another thing, or it should be at least. if the produceds want to take the realism to the extreme (boards buying and selling players without your consent, players swaping good teams for poor teams just because of money and others), than the purpose of this "game" is lost and the fun will be gone, so why bother buying it ?

It's always impossible to say for sure what we would do in a totally unrealistic (or unimaginable) situation. It's like saying would you run into a burning building to save someone you love. Obviously we'd all like to think yes, but presented with the reality of the situation we might not be able to.

I'm one of those who values loyalty above pretty much anything else, but ideals are great to have when they don't need to be tested out. I would like to think that if I was good enough to be a footballer who could play for Hibernian and earn, for example £2,500 p/w that I would stay loyal to them for as long as they stayed loyal to me and tell Celtic to go hang themselves if they came offering me £12,500 p/w to play for them. Faced with the reality of that situation though it might be a bit different.

The case of a part time Aberystwyth Town player turning down £47k p/w instead of his £200 p/w is obviously a ridiculous extreme though and it doesn't really matter how the game handles that. It's no more unrealistic that he would turn that offer down than that he would get such an offer in the first place.

The Man City issue is a difficult one though as far as FM is concerned because it polarises even more than e.g. Shaktar Donetsk the issue of money vs trophies (forget loyalty - it's dead in football, but people moving clubs to win trophies is very much alive). I don't know how FM determines how a player weighs up money vs the chance to play in the Champions League or for a team who has won the EPL the last 2 years, etc.

I wouldn't have a clue what to do with £500k p/w so I could turn it down if I was already on £47k p/w which is also a sum of money that I wouldn't have a clue what to do with. When you get to that level it's all just meaningless numbers. Sure, I could give it to charity, but then why bother with the rigmarole of paying it to me in the first place - just get the club to give £450k p/w to charity!

There is the saying 'too much of a good thing is bad'

Now, I am a skint. I admit it. I love to look for cheap bargains and other sorts of stuff, courtesy of this 'Singaporean Spirit, or as we call it here, kiasu spirit' that drives the people here in Singapore. The cheaper the things are, the faster they get grabbed. Bargains constantly.

If I was given 500K per week, I would be totally bamboozled by the amount of money and I certainly would not know what to do. Here, I earn 3,000 Singapore Dollars a week, which translates to roughly 1000 quid in Britain. That is certainly enough for me to live comfortably in a nice flat with good food and 3 computers(i just have to have different computers) here.

Suddenly, a big sum of money comes in. How would you feel? I would get an urge to splurge, defitnely, but my inner conscience would go blaring with full sirens warning me not to spend too much. I would be very confused. Save up and buy Utd from the Yanks? There's a though.

There is no doubt that given a huge wage, I would take it. It is human nature. However, to have a big step up, that's where the problem lies.

The case of a part time Aberystwyth Town player turning down £47k p/w instead of his £200 p/w is obviously a ridiculous extreme though and it doesn't really matter how the game handles that. It's no more unrealistic that he would turn that offer down than that he would get such an offer in the first place.

oh i dont know, Sir Alex would be very impressed if he saw Glyndwr (Paddy) play. :)

where have the ADUG said they'll pay £500k per week? :confused:

Was in the Sunday papers at the weekend:

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/article22341.ece

I know i know its the NotW but still, its possible considering the wealth of the main man is over £120 billion. The interest alone on that is more than Abramovich has spent on Chelsea!

I see what you're saying but seriously if you were a footballer playing for the club you love and supported since a boy but then a crap team come in and say "here have £500k a WEEK" you would no way turn that down.

Using myself as an example like you ask in this post.

Ok im playing for Rangers, some team, weather it be Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City now or even some rich bumb just buys east Stirling, no matter what they offered i would not leave the club of my dreams mainly because money does not buy memories.

In 08 they certainly can be. But as with real life there are a number of factors involved.

If you offer a player or a staff member a substancial sum even if it says they don't want to join you. You can certainly still get the player, and because of this the player is being swayed by the cash rather than the draw of your club.

Likewise if a team of a similar level goes in for a player the same time as you and you offer more money, the player is more likely to join you.

If say i edited the game to give a lower team maximum money and wage budget, would they be able to get any player they wanted in the game?

I think it depends on Reputation of the club as to whether they'd join.

I fully agree with Nomis07.

I'm a student and to me £40k a week, hell £1k a week would feel like a million. But if I were on a £50k a week job then going to £150k a week would be just as huge a difference. When I'm on a £50k a week wage I can already afford anything I want.. the rest would just be given to family and charities anyway.

But in the end it comes down to the fact that some people dont need the larger things in life. I'm content with having a nice little home for my family and a steady job and good friends.. Money do not matter much to me. No matter if were talking thousands, millions or gazillions..

I respect and agree with what you say.

Round of applause.

Archived