Football Manager Player Attributes - Official Guide

We all have a reasonably good idea what each player attribute, attributes to. But as we did not make the game we cannot know the exact detail of what each attribute is actually attributing to during game-play.

So, I'm looking for an official guide online or hard copy book that will go into lengthy details about player attributes.

An example of what I want to find out is;

Your full-back is the exact same distance away from a breaking ball as the oppositions winger, They both have the same acceleration and pace, and both have superb morale.

Who will get there first?

Will the players concentration attribute have an affect? Will the full-back with 20 concentration react to the breaking ball faster than the winger with 10 concentration?

And if they both get there first, will the wingers superior strength be enough to take the ball first in the 50-50 ahead of the full-back with superior tackling?

We can all speculate to the actual affect each attribute has on each situation, but really we're just going by our own understanding of the attribute through experience in the real world. But we do not know how it's actually programmed into the game.

So, is there an in depth guide that would answer some of these types of questions?

The most important attribute of them all is penis length. An attribute which I would like to see included.

I'd prefer my captain to be more donkey like than my other players, to instill some sort of silverback mentality in my changing room.

The biggest problem is one element will always mess up such an experiment...

Luck.

Even if both players had 20's all around, one WILL be more aware at that particular moment, just down to luck... Or will tackle harder, down to lucking out on a luck roll...

The most important attribute of them all is penis length. An attribute which I would like to see included.

I'd prefer my captain to be more donkey like than my other players, to instill some sort of silverback mentality in my changing room.

I've always thought of John Terry as a little ***** :D

The biggest problem is one element will always mess up such an experiment...

Luck.

Even if both players had 20's all around, one WILL be more aware at that particular moment, just down to luck... Or will tackle harder, down to lucking out on a luck roll...

I know what you're saying, but I don't think that they have programmed a luck calculation into FM.

Remember everything is down to numbers in FM at the end of the day.

Everything happens for a reason (I hope).

I know what you're saying, but I don't think that they have programmed a luck calculation into FM.

Remember everything is down to numbers in FM at the end of the day.

Everything happens for a reason (I hope).

There are probably some rolls or else a player with 20 dribling would always beat a player with 19 tackling (for example).

There are probably some rolls or else a player with 20 dribling would always beat a player with 19 tackling (for example).

I'm guessing beating a player is much more complicated than simply matching dribbling against tackling.

Many other factors, like morale, form, weather, composure, balance, strength etc would all go into the final calculation.

In every match situation more than one attribute is "involved", so there is no easy way to say X is beating Y.

There is a file with hints and tips from the main developer for FM2007 that gives you an indication on which attribute has an effect during a game:

Appendix A - Player attribute list

This section lists the visible player attributes and gives a brief definition of their affect within the game.

Please note that not all of these attributes are visible within the game. Some are ‘hidden’ attributes and will only be visible via the games database editor or via their in-game effects.

Goalkeeping (Goalkeepers only)

Aerial Ability

The capacity to pluck the ball out of the air. A keeper who comes out and flaps at a ball will cause panic among his defenders. A good aerial ability is helpful against teams who get lots of crosses in or use the long ball tactic.

Command of Area

A ‘keeper with good command of his area is mobile and gets around the box rapidly. He will display this attribute best at set pieces – knowing when to come for the ball and making sure he gets it when he does.

Communication

A ‘keeper with good communication skills is essential if you want to possess an organised defence. Think Peter Schmeichel…

Eccentricity

An eccentric keeper is a double-edged sword. He might be capable of moments of genius, but equally you may find him scampering out of his box with no hope of getting to the ball before the opposition striker. If you like a player with a bit of character, a low rating, in my opinion, is not necessarily a good thing.

Handling

This is the attribute you really want to look out for in a ‘keeper. No handling = no good.

Kicking

If you play the long ball tactic, make sure your ‘keeper has a good kicking attribute. He’ll be able to stick it on your target man’s head from his six yard box. If your ‘keeper has a poor kicking rating, have him distribute the ball straight to your defenders.

Reflexes

This is a great attribute for your ‘keeper to have, denoting how good he is at making instinctive saves – particularly from close range. This combines with good Handling and Agility to keep your goals conceded to a minimum.

Rushing Out

This is a good stat to have if your team plays the offside trap or if the opposition have a particularly fast striker (aka Michael Owen). Your ‘keeper will be out to meet them before you can say “Rushing Out”… errr….

Tendency to Punch

Something we’ve seen more of in the English Premiership in recent seasons as more teams employ continental keepers. Looking for this stat is purely a personal choice – punching can clear the danger immediately but it still remains a risky business. Not recommended with a weak and shaky defence.

Throwing

If you like your team to play Counter Attack football, a keeper with good Throwing ability is essential. Once in possession he’ll have the ball out to your striker on the halfway line in no time…

Technical

Crossing

If you like to employ wingers and fullbacks marauding down both flanks it’s vital that they have the ability to get quality balls into your strikers. No point in doing this if your attackers are 5ft nothing though. The Crossing schedule in training is a good way to improve their stats.

Dribbling

Coupled with Agility and Balance, I consider it essential you have a good dribbler in your side – especially in the more advanced roles with room to run at defenders. Be careful you don’t have too many dribblers though as they’ll tend to ignore any passing tactic you might have. Although a dribbler has the potential to be a match winner, he could also give it away in his own penalty area and lose you the game.

Finishing

Nothing simpler here. Bad Finishing = Missing a Sitter. Mind you, your player has to be in the right position to score a goal, so ensure your player also has good Off the Ball movement, Balance and Strength.

Heading

As crucial for players you want to use as Target men as it is for Central Defenders. Any team either playing the long ball tactic or being confronted by it will want some good headers in the side. Look for this attribute combined with Jumping.

Long Shots

If you don’t get shots on goal, you’re never going to score. A few long shots now and then can also really test a dodgy keeper. Once you’ve established that you have a midfielder like Hamann who can bullet them from the halfway line, instruct him to take a few long pots. He might be good at freekicks too…

Long Throws

Long Throwing ability is a particularly good attribute for a fullback to have as you will probably be wanting them to take most of the attacking throws, thereby freeing up your more attacking players.

Marking

If a defender has poor Marking it doesn’t necessarily mean he’ll be a load of rubbish. However, you’ll definitely want to avoid playing a Man-Marking tactic. If your defenders can’t mark for toffee, perhaps consider a Sweeper system or have them defend deeper than you would otherwise like. A Hard Tackling ploy goes nicely with Marking to soften up the opposition….

One on Ones

If you’re playing Counter Attack football, there’s going to be a few situations when your striker finds himself through on goal with “no-one to beat but the ‘keeper”. The better a player’s rating, the more likely he is to be able to chip or go round the on-rushing ‘keeper. Good Dribbling and Finishing blend nicely with this attribute.

Passing

If you’ve got a midfielder posse who would give the Real Madrid midfield a run for their money, then you’ll be in a good position to use a Short or Mixed passing tactic to good effect. However, your midfield are more likely to be a bunch of muppets, so have them long ball it for all they’re worth.

Penalty Taking

Although this stat speaks for itself, I’ve often found that a player with high Influence (e.g. club captain) will also come up trumps and have the guts to take a good penalty. Think Beckham…

Set Pieces

Together with this attribute, both Long Shots and Crossing ability can aid a player’s aptitude for free-kicks and corners. Again, the best way to find out who strikes a good setpiece is through match practice.

Tackling

If you combine this attribute with Strength, Marking and particularly Aggression and Bravery, you’ll have a great defender on your hands. Essential for defenders and battling defensive midfielders.

Technique

Technique is perhaps one of the more important attributes a player can have and refers largely to natural skill rather than an expertise in a particular area or position. Look for good technique in your more attacking players if you want to impress the opposition.

Mental

Aggression

This attribute is a measure of how enthusiastic a player will be when involved in a confrontation with an opponent or when challenging for a 50-50 ball. Aggressive players will get cautioned more often (which will make them miss matches) but they won’t half get stuck in for your team!

Anticipation

If your midfield players have good anticipation, then they will be likely to manage more interceptions during a match and therefore give your team more possession. Good anticipation is a vital ingredient for defenders and attackers alike though - best coupled with good Off the Ball movement and Decisions.

Bravery

Bravery should be an essential part of any player’s vocabulary. A high Bravery rating will increase the likelihood of your player winning 50-50 balls and generally getting in where it hurts. As previously mentioned, at its best with Tackling and most goalkeeper stats you care to mention.

Creativity

Creativity is the ability to make things happen. You’ll score more goals if you get a creative midfielder operating in the centre of the park. It might be wise to support him with a defensive midfielder though as creative geniuses don’t tend to be great tacklers. There are exceptions of course…

Decisions

Quick thinking is crucial in a hectic game of football. You want players who can make the right decisions in the heat of the moment. Look for a good Decisions attribute to be combined with Creativity, Passing and to a lesser extent Anticipation.

Determination

Determination is a measure of your players’ desire to win and it’s a good attribute to possess throughout your team. You might particularly look for Determination in players if you manage a lowly club and often find you’re having to come back from a goal or two down. Players with Determination will keep battling to the final whistle.

Flair

A player with a lot of flair can cause you a lot of frustration but equally can be a match winner. There will be times when you wished he’d tried the simple pass rather than blazing a bicycle kick into the stands. There will be other times however when you rise from your seat and applaud the best piece of individualism you’ve ever seen. Not recommended for managers who like their team to play George Graham Arsenal long ball.

Influence

A player with a high Influence attribute will undoubtedly be a prime candidate for the role of captain. Yet choose wisely. A player who has high Influence but doesn’t seem to command the respect of the players around him will not make a good choice. Remember, even when you’ve chosen your captain it’s good to have Influence in every area of the pitch.

Off the Ball

Off the Ball is perhaps one of the most overlooked aspects of the game of football, yet FM regards it as one of the most important. A player with good Off the Ball movement (aka Jeffers perhaps) can draw defenders and generally cause the opposition a lot of problems. Try to find a player who combines a high Off the Ball attribute with good Pace, Positioning and Anticipation.

Positioning

If you’ve ever entertained the idea of your team playing the Offside trap, you will know that Positioning is the main attribute you want your defenders to bring to the game. Combines well with Strength and Anticipation to create an air of solidity.

Teamwork

If you not the sort of person who likes to rely on one player to win matches, you’ll need players with strong Teamwork to get your team gelling. High Teamwork throughout your team will see your side working their socks off for each other. Blends nicely with high Work Rate and Determination.

Work Rate

As mentioned, this is an attribute which compliments a high Teamwork ethic. If you like your team to Close Down your opponents, then a high Work Rate attribute throughout your midfield will be highly useful. Don’t forget to ensure they’ve got a bit of Stamina though…

Physical

Acceleration

As a measure of how quickly a player can reach top speed, Acceleration is a must-have attribute for wingers and pacey attackers. You might also consider having defenders with good Acceleration if you’re faced by a team who are aiming to hit you on the break. Good Stamina is a must and a little bit of Work Rate won’t go a miss either.

Agility

Agility is an attribute which is most necessary for players in top-flight football. You can get away with being a cumbersome lump in the lower leagues but the top divisions demand that even the central defenders have a bit of dexterity. Combined with Acceleration and Dribbling a high Agility rating can make for a great attacking footballer.

Balance

Although by the very nature of their profession all footballers could do with a bit of Balance, the ones who’ll need it most are the ones who are going to be on the receiving end of a few tackles and kicks. You’ll predominantly like your wingers and other attacking players to have high agility, coupled with good Agility, Dribbling or Strength to make it difficult for the opposition to knock them off the ball.

Jumping

An easy one this one. You’ve got to link it with a good Heading attribute and be sure if you ever want to play long ball or crossing-intensive tactics that your players are good at springing off the ground. If, say, your players are also high on Bravery and Aggression as well as Jumping, make sure you’ve got them putting in some Hard Tackling to really dominate the opposition.

Pace

Pace can actually be a bit of a misnomer so be careful. Your player might be lightening quick but if he can’t do anything with the ball then he’ll soon become a bit of a liability. Look to link Pace with Flair, Dribbling, Agility and of course Acceleration. Have your fastest players run from deep to really scare the opposition defence.

Stamina

The importance of Stamina cannot be underestimated – particularly if you play an effort-intensive style such as Closing Down, Gung-Ho or have players set to making lots of forward runs. You’ll find that if your team has a low level of Stamina in general, you will tend to concede goals late in the game. You have been warned…

Strength

Strength is an important issue when challenging for the ball, so you’ll be keen to have a fair few players in your side who can mix it when the going gets rough. Tackling, Jumping and Marking are augmented by Strength and you will find that stronger players don’t give away fouls so often as they can generally muscle players off the ball instead of having to slide in.

In every match situation more than one attribute is "involved", so there is no easy way to say X is beating Y.

There is a file with hints and tips from the main developer for FM2007 that gives you an indication on which attribute has an effect during a game:

This section lists the visible player attributes and gives a brief definition of their affect within the game.

Please note that not all of these attributes are visible within the game. Some are ‘hidden’ attributes and will only be visible via the games database editor or via their in-game effects.

Aerial Ability

The capacity to pluck the ball out of the air. A keeper who comes out and flaps at a ball will cause panic among his defenders. A good aerial ability is helpful against teams who get lots of crosses in or use the long ball tactic.

Command of Area

A ‘keeper with good command of his area is mobile and gets around the box rapidly. He will display this attribute best at set pieces – knowing when to come for the ball and making sure he gets it when he does.

Communication

A ‘keeper with good communication skills is essential if you want to possess an organised defence. Think Peter Schmeichel…

Eccentricity

An eccentric keeper is a double-edged sword. He might be capable of moments of genius, but equally you may find him scampering out of his box with no hope of getting to the ball before the opposition striker. If you like a player with a bit of character, a low rating, in my opinion, is not necessarily a good thing.

Handling

This is the attribute you really want to look out for in a ‘keeper. No handling = no good.

Kicking

If you play the long ball tactic, make sure your ‘keeper has a good kicking attribute. He’ll be able to stick it on your target man’s head from his six yard box. If your ‘keeper has a poor kicking rating, have him distribute the ball straight to your defenders.

Reflexes

This is a great attribute for your ‘keeper to have, denoting how good he is at making instinctive saves – particularly from close range. This combines with good Handling and Agility to keep your goals conceded to a minimum.

Rushing Out

This is a good stat to have if your team plays the offside trap or if the opposition have a particularly fast striker (aka Michael Owen). Your ‘keeper will be out to meet them before you can say “Rushing Out”… errr….

Tendency to Punch

Something we’ve seen more of in the English Premiership in recent seasons as more teams employ continental keepers. Looking for this stat is purely a personal choice – punching can clear the danger immediately but it still remains a risky business. Not recommended with a weak and shaky defence.

Throwing

If you like your team to play Counter Attack football, a keeper with good Throwing ability is essential. Once in possession he’ll have the ball out to your striker on the halfway line in no time…

Technical

Crossing

If you like to employ wingers and fullbacks marauding down both flanks it’s vital that they have the ability to get quality balls into your strikers. No point in doing this if your attackers are 5ft nothing though. The Crossing schedule in training is a good way to improve their stats.

Dribbling

Coupled with Agility and Balance, I consider it essential you have a good dribbler in your side – especially in the more advanced roles with room to run at defenders. Be careful you don’t have too many dribblers though as they’ll tend to ignore any passing tactic you might have. Although a dribbler has the potential to be a match winner, he could also give it away in his own penalty area and lose you the game.

Finishing

Nothing simpler here. Bad Finishing = Missing a Sitter. Mind you, your player has to be in the right position to score a goal, so ensure your player also has good Off the Ball movement, Balance and Strength.

Heading

As crucial for players you want to use as Target men as it is for Central Defenders. Any team either playing the long ball tactic or being confronted by it will want some good headers in the side. Look for this attribute combined with Jumping.

Long Shots

If you don’t get shots on goal, you’re never going to score. A few long shots now and then can also really test a dodgy keeper. Once you’ve established that you have a midfielder like Hamann who can bullet them from the halfway line, instruct him to take a few long pots. He might be good at freekicks too…

Long Throws

Long Throwing ability is a particularly good attribute for a fullback to have as you will probably be wanting them to take most of the attacking throws, thereby freeing up your more attacking players.

Marking

If a defender has poor Marking it doesn’t necessarily mean he’ll be a load of rubbish. However, you’ll definitely want to avoid playing a Man-Marking tactic. If your defenders can’t mark for toffee, perhaps consider a Sweeper system or have them defend deeper than you would otherwise like. A Hard Tackling ploy goes nicely with Marking to soften up the opposition….

One on Ones

If you’re playing Counter Attack football, there’s going to be a few situations when your striker finds himself through on goal with “no-one to beat but the ‘keeper”. The better a player’s rating, the more likely he is to be able to chip or go round the on-rushing ‘keeper. Good Dribbling and Finishing blend nicely with this attribute.

Passing

If you’ve got a midfielder posse who would give the Real Madrid midfield a run for their money, then you’ll be in a good position to use a Short or Mixed passing tactic to good effect. However, your midfield are more likely to be a bunch of muppets, so have them long ball it for all they’re worth.

Penalty Taking

Although this stat speaks for itself, I’ve often found that a player with high Influence (e.g. club captain) will also come up trumps and have the guts to take a good penalty. Think Beckham…

Set Pieces

Together with this attribute, both Long Shots and Crossing ability can aid a player’s aptitude for free-kicks and corners. Again, the best way to find out who strikes a good setpiece is through match practice.

Tackling

If you combine this attribute with Strength, Marking and particularly Aggression and Bravery, you’ll have a great defender on your hands. Essential for defenders and battling defensive midfielders.

Technique

Technique is perhaps one of the more important attributes a player can have and refers largely to natural skill rather than an expertise in a particular area or position. Look for good technique in your more attacking players if you want to impress the opposition.

Mental

Aggression

This attribute is a measure of how enthusiastic a player will be when involved in a confrontation with an opponent or when challenging for a 50-50 ball. Aggressive players will get cautioned more often (which will make them miss matches) but they won’t half get stuck in for your team!

Anticipation

If your midfield players have good anticipation, then they will be likely to manage more interceptions during a match and therefore give your team more possession. Good anticipation is a vital ingredient for defenders and attackers alike though - best coupled with good Off the Ball movement and Decisions.

Bravery

Bravery should be an essential part of any player’s vocabulary. A high Bravery rating will increase the likelihood of your player winning 50-50 balls and generally getting in where it hurts. As previously mentioned, at its best with Tackling and most goalkeeper stats you care to mention.

Creativity

Creativity is the ability to make things happen. You’ll score more goals if you get a creative midfielder operating in the centre of the park. It might be wise to support him with a defensive midfielder though as creative geniuses don’t tend to be great tacklers. There are exceptions of course…

Decisions

Quick thinking is crucial in a hectic game of football. You want players who can make the right decisions in the heat of the moment. Look for a good Decisions attribute to be combined with Creativity, Passing and to a lesser extent Anticipation.

Determination

Determination is a measure of your players’ desire to win and it’s a good attribute to possess throughout your team. You might particularly look for Determination in players if you manage a lowly club and often find you’re having to come back from a goal or two down. Players with Determination will keep battling to the final whistle.

Flair

A player with a lot of flair can cause you a lot of frustration but equally can be a match winner. There will be times when you wished he’d tried the simple pass rather than blazing a bicycle kick into the stands. There will be other times however when you rise from your seat and applaud the best piece of individualism you’ve ever seen. Not recommended for managers who like their team to play George Graham Arsenal long ball.

Influence

A player with a high Influence attribute will undoubtedly be a prime candidate for the role of captain. Yet choose wisely. A player who has high Influence but doesn’t seem to command the respect of the players around him will not make a good choice. Remember, even when you’ve chosen your captain it’s good to have Influence in every area of the pitch.

Off the Ball

Off the Ball is perhaps one of the most overlooked aspects of the game of football, yet FM regards it as one of the most important. A player with good Off the Ball movement (aka Jeffers perhaps) can draw defenders and generally cause the opposition a lot of problems. Try to find a player who combines a high Off the Ball attribute with good Pace, Positioning and Anticipation.

Positioning

If you’ve ever entertained the idea of your team playing the Offside trap, you will know that Positioning is the main attribute you want your defenders to bring to the game. Combines well with Strength and Anticipation to create an air of solidity.

Teamwork

If you not the sort of person who likes to rely on one player to win matches, you’ll need players with strong Teamwork to get your team gelling. High Teamwork throughout your team will see your side working their socks off for each other. Blends nicely with high Work Rate and Determination.

Work Rate

As mentioned, this is an attribute which compliments a high Teamwork ethic. If you like your team to Close Down your opponents, then a high Work Rate attribute throughout your midfield will be highly useful. Don’t forget to ensure they’ve got a bit of Stamina though…

Physical

Acceleration

As a measure of how quickly a player can reach top speed, Acceleration is a must-have attribute for wingers and pacey attackers. You might also consider having defenders with good Acceleration if you’re faced by a team who are aiming to hit you on the break. Good Stamina is a must and a little bit of Work Rate won’t go a miss either.

Agility

Agility is an attribute which is most necessary for players in top-flight football. You can get away with being a cumbersome lump in the lower leagues but the top divisions demand that even the central defenders have a bit of dexterity. Combined with Acceleration and Dribbling a high Agility rating can make for a great attacking footballer.

Balance

Although by the very nature of their profession all footballers could do with a bit of Balance, the ones who’ll need it most are the ones who are going to be on the receiving end of a few tackles and kicks. You’ll predominantly like your wingers and other attacking players to have high agility, coupled with good Agility, Dribbling or Strength to make it difficult for the opposition to knock them off the ball.

Jumping

An easy one this one. You’ve got to link it with a good Heading attribute and be sure if you ever want to play long ball or crossing-intensive tactics that your players are good at springing off the ground. If, say, your players are also high on Bravery and Aggression as well as Jumping, make sure you’ve got them putting in some Hard Tackling to really dominate the opposition.

Pace

Pace can actually be a bit of a misnomer so be careful. Your player might be lightening quick but if he can’t do anything with the ball then he’ll soon become a bit of a liability. Look to link Pace with Flair, Dribbling, Agility and of course Acceleration. Have your fastest players run from deep to really scare the opposition defence.

Stamina

The importance of Stamina cannot be underestimated – particularly if you play an effort-intensive style such as Closing Down, Gung-Ho or have players set to making lots of forward runs. You’ll find that if your team has a low level of Stamina in general, you will tend to concede goals late in the game. You have been warned…

Strength

Strength is an important issue when challenging for the ball, so you’ll be keen to have a fair few players in your side who can mix it when the going gets rough. Tackling, Jumping and Marking are augmented by Strength and you will find that stronger players don’t give away fouls so often as they can generally muscle players off the ball instead of having to slide in.

Cheers. That's kind of what I'm looking for. But in a lot more detail. I'm looking more to find out about the exact function of each attribute in relation to the match engine.

If they haven't made that kind of book, they really should consider it.

But thanks for that post.

Aerial Ability

Command of Area

Communication

Eccentricity

Handling

Kicking

Reflexes

Rushing Out

Tendency to Punch

Throwing

Technical

Crossing

Dribbling

Finishing

Heading

Long Shots

Long Throws

Marking

One on Ones

Passing

Penalty Taking

Set Pieces

Tackling

Technique

Mental

Aggression

Anticipation

Bravery

Creativity

Decisions

Determination

Flair

Influence

Off the Ball

Positioning

Teamwork

Work Rate

Physical

Acceleration

Agility

Balance

Jumping

Pace

Stamina

Strength

Where is First Touch, Composure, Concetration and Natural Fitness there? Those are really important attributes imo.

I wouldnt need such a guide myself however i believe SI would be able to make themselvesa few bob out of it by selling it to new-commers to the game each year. People who are knew im sure would like a guide on how to do everything, hell sure as know i somtimes hate looking around each of the new features trying to figure some of them out, i mind the feeder club option i never found out how to reccomened a differnt team until my 4th save.

There is one important attribute that has been left out of that list.

Snipping

Snipping is an important attribute for the players to know when and how to remove parts of the quoted text, without loosing its meaning and the same time making it possible for other readers to follow a thread without having to scroll down three pages before the next post appears.

• 2 months later...

you are my hero sir :D

hahhahahahahahah

Archived