I will pay an extra $20 for the ability to add a league to the game.

Would anyone else?

3D view and what not is great, but it only enhances the current gaming experience. It doesn't so much improve the core experience.

Why not have the ability to start a standard league, 20 teams, with any nation we want? If I am from Ghana, I want to play a league with teams from Ghana. Its really that simple.

3D/Manager Feeback ... Whatever other nifty little features really don't mean a lot when 75% of the countries in the world have no way of playing with their own teams.

Of course, thats just my opinion, but I'm sure I'm not alone. You don't even need to get licensing for them, just give the users a way to run a simple bare-bones league and put the teams of their country in it without having to be data editing geniuses and sitting through 50 hours of testing to see if the game will or will not crash 3 seasons down the line after an edit.

/rant

:)

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd rather have the ability to add more leagues into the game, mid-season. The amount of times I've started up a game with 3 or 4 leagues running only to forget to add in the MLS or Ligue 1 for example so something that allows me to do that would be much appreciated.

I'd rather have the ability to add more leagues into the game, mid-season. The amount of times I've started up a game with 3 or 4 leagues running only to forget to add in the MLS or Ligue 1 for example so something that allows me to do that would be much appreciated.

Aren't they doing that anyway? I thought i heard that in the video

PSP feature iirc.

Apparently you're right. Its amazing that I haven't had a proper game in 8 years now because of the inability for the most basic features to materialize. I wonder how long it will be before something that actually changes the core gameplay will be introduced!!! :(

At least in the CM3 days we had decent save game editors that could actually do things to the DB after you started so you could keep playing on instead of having to restart anytime you realized you forgot something or something major changed in the outside world.

Ever since CM4 we've been locked in this box of no turning back once you start a game and its really starting to get old personally!!

I don t think its research or any other problems. I think SI only ads the leagues of the countrys where the have a chance of selling a few copies.

With all the respect for Ghana, leagues like this don t bring money and money is what we all like.

~200 Countries with some kind of league

~50 Leagues

75% of the world is untapped by the game currently. They can "tap" this simply by creating one more league, a blank league that we can assign any nation we want to.

Doesn't really seem like such a large asking to turn a 25% world appeal into a 100% world appeal.

Or you could have an option to create a league in the editor, similar to how you can create a person? Would be great.

Yes, but assumingly that would be more difficult to do then being able to add just one pre-formatted league, so I'm trying to start small here.

It would be nice to be able to do something.. ANYTHING as far as playing another league other than those that are supported with licensing, without having to waste days and days and days messing with less than perfect league swaps that usually end up crashing and resulting in the waste of an entire playing month.

Apparently you're right. Its amazing that I haven't had a proper game in 8 years now because of the inability for the most basic features to materialize. I wonder how long it will be before something that actually changes the core gameplay will be introduced!!! :(

At least in the CM3 days we had decent save game editors that could actually do things to the DB after you started so you could keep playing on instead of having to restart anytime you realized you forgot something or something major changed in the outside world.

Ever since CM4 we've been locked in this box of no turning back once you start a game and its really starting to get old personally!!

If you've been playing the game so long, surely you know the setup best for you? I know my preffered setup and I always have leagues active that I may want to play in.

You want something to change the core gameplay.. excactly what is that? A league editor isn't going to change the gameplay at all.

A league editor isn't going to change the gameplay at all.

You're joking right?

The ability to manage your own team is the fundamental principle in which this game is formed. However, at present, I'd guess between 90-99% of the teams in the game are completely unmanageable.

Being able to add a league such that a country is now playable is by definition a fundamental change in the gameplay experience.

It has nothing to do with gameplay, it will not change the way that the game plays.

I'd love to have a league editor but it isn't really that neccesary. Can't you just edit one of the other leagues to represent your home country?

~200 Countries with some kind of league

~50 Leagues

75% of the world is untapped by the game currently. They can "tap" this simply by creating one more league, a blank league that we can assign any nation we want to.

Doesn't really seem like such a large asking to turn a 25% world appeal into a 100% world appeal.

So you add the Ghanaian league to this blank default league.

What players are on the teams you add?

So you think adding the ability to add in a pre-formatted league will 'tap' into the countries that don't sell FM and that there hasn't been a proper game with no basic features coming out in 8 years ?

ROFLPOCALYPSE.

No.

I'm suggesting a simple way to allow the game to be enjoyed by more people without having to wait for Demand and Licensing to come through on the leagues of the other 150+ nations in the game.

If you are happy playing a league that is already in the game thats fine, but thats no reason to say that someone else can't suggest a simple way to allow a league that is not playable to become playable.

Perhaps a system like in OOTP Baseball could be implemented; where the game will fill up with fictional players. A league of regens, so to speak.

It's not particularly vital, but it would be a nice feature. I can't say how many people would use it though.

What fictional players? These teams and players are already in the game, the whole idea is just having a blank league in the database that we can assign a nation to and put these teams into it to make it playable. Thats it. Something that is already programmed, that won't crash after 6 hours of team swapping.

A Blank League. Assign a Nation to it, assign teams into the league, begin play with that nation now managable. End of story!

I don't think there's a massive market for football management games in Ghana somehow...

The. Point. Is. Not. Ghana. Ghana is just one of 150+ Nations that are represented in FM, with teams/players already in the database, but that can not be played without attempting most likely futilely to hack the game about. No, maybe theres not a massive market in Ghana, and thats probably echoed by the fact that its not a playable league in the game.

But when you add up all the 150 unplayable nations, there is going to be *some* level of interest in playing these leagues from some people. If there wasn't, then there would be no sub-forum dedicated to such swaps.

It's not about tapping into the Ghanian market. Its about giving people who want to play with one of the 150 nations not currently in the game a way to play with their nations league by taking the time to add just one new league to the games code, instead of 150.

Before you respond, please ask yourself if your country is playable in game, and if so, first think about what your mindset would be if it were not. Because a lot of you are completely missing the point here.

You're joking right?

The ability to manage your own team is the fundamental principle in which this game is formed. However, at present, I'd guess between 90-99% of the teams in the game are completely unmanageable.

Being able to add a league such that a country is now playable is by definition a fundamental change in the gameplay experience.

..and a waste of SI's time for the vast majority of fans.

Not that I can't see your point, I do, but I wouldn't want a price increase for the minority requirement.

Getting this 3D thing right, which I'm not sure it will be for a few incarnations, is going to suck a lot of resources. I hope to be proved wrong, but whilst the idea is cool I think the graphics are going to come as a let down and will be the major pining point of the coming 12 months.

Can I just re-quote my earlier post?

Can't you just edit one of the other leagues to represent your home country?

I'm not saying it is possible but I've seen the J-League added without it being an actual league so is it not possible to add your home country this way?

I'm not saying it is possible but I've seen the J-League added without it being an actual league so is it not possible to add your home country this way?

Its not nearly the same, as I've already eluded to, its a hack, its very time consuming and difficult to get right, and it will more likely then not crash the game at some point down the line. Everything in game is hard coded, swapping out the league of a country means you are inheriting it and all its rule groups etc... Changes the TLA of your nation, perhaps makes it assume a new continent... etc... etc...

Is it possible to do? Yes. It's possible to do, but its a half assed attempt that works an increasingly smaller percentage of the time and usually crashes down the line anyway. Thats fine for someone that plays 2-3 seasons at a time max, but for someone who likes to play longer games, its just not worth the risk of all that time editing, and playing, to see a crash 4 seasons down the line because some obscure competition requires a certain team that is no longer in the right place because of a league swap hack.

..and a waste of SI's time for the vast majority of fans.

Not that I can't see your point, I do, but I wouldn't want a price increase for the minority requirement.

I'm not suggesting everyone should pay more to have this feature, I'm just stating that from the standpoint of someone who does not have what they would consider a "home" country playable in the game, it would be worth the extra $20 to have it if thats what it took. Hell, even if they released a download I had to pay for, the added in game experience would be that much greater.

Its not nearly the same, as I've already eluded to, its a hack, its very time consuming and difficult to get right, and it will more likely then not crash the game at some point down the line. Everything in game is hard coded, swapping out the league of a country means you are inheriting it and all its rule groups etc... Changes the TLA of your nation, perhaps makes it assume a new continent... etc... etc...

Why is it more time consuming than having to add details to a blank db? You would still have to enter the player, clubs details etc. And what about the rules to this blank db. You say you're inheriting there rules but you would be with a blank db too.

Also, I don't think editing causes crashes. It used to happen but after having used many custom db's over the past few years, I've never had a crash due to them. Even if it did, would you not need to edit the blank db that would be set up?

I think its a great idea. I think SI can do it. I think it would add a lot to the game even for those of us who don't care to add a particular country. If there were an easy way to set up additional leagues with or without research, we could also have custom and imaginary leagues; Another feature that is often requested.

Could be defaulted to a 2-minute setup routine:

Load Custom League from File? (default = no)

New League: Name

Number of Teams: (default = 20)

Reserves: (default = yes)

U-20s, U-18s, other: (default = U18s)

Team Names: (default = random names from a named or loaded list)

Use Existing Players in DB: (default = no)

Generate Random Players: (default = yes)

Edit Rosters: (default = no)

League Rules: (default = English Championship)

League Dates: (default = Eng. Champ. dates)

Generate League with Random Players now? (default = yes)

PA ranges for players, how the league relates to other leagues (promotion, relegation, regional competitions, etc..) could all be selected as needed.

I'm continually surprised by how conservative the fanbase for FM is. Why not have such a feature? I mean, really?

"Lets not have 2-D. It'll detract from the game. It'll slow things down. SI won't be able to also develop the rest of the game, etc.."

If developers listened to this, nothing would get done.

Why is it more time consuming than having to add details to a blank db? You would still have to enter the player, clubs details etc. And what about the rules to this blank db. You say you're inheriting there rules but you would be with a blank db too.

What blank DB? All the clubs and players are already in the game, don't you guys understand that people actually do research for teams other than those that are in currently playable leagues? They won't even let a league become playable if it doesnt already have a good set of data established to begin with, license or not.

as someone who spends hours in the editor making new leagues i think this would be a fantastic feature. i love the worlds i've built (in the process of an all-asian db and an all-african db) but to do this i need to sacrifce some of the european leagues that i also enjoy watching play.

i think there cuold be some issues with this causing the game to crash (i.e. people creating a Super League will all the best teams would cause issues with the EPL, Serie A, etc), however, what if you gave people a couple of options with their edited league:

Option 1: Using Clubs in Active Leagues (in this mode, you can only opt to run your league, this would stop the game trying to play the EPL sans Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool, etc)

Option 2: Using Clubs in Inactive League(s) (in this mode an inactive nation, i.e. Ghana, or my new favourite Saudi Arabia, can be created and played along side the established nations)

I'm not 100% sure how hard this would be to implement but as a person who spends more time in the editor than playing the game it would be brilliant.

this could be easily done for FM09.for example i loaded all player from iran,and their names of the players were all correct and it even had teams from the second division,even though the stats are not accurate,it wouldnt hurt for you guys(SI) to let the nations league that you load all the players have a playable league,would it? hopefully they will add this feature,as i know for sure it will make a lot of people happier with the game from around the world.

What do you mean what players are on them? Whatever players are on or are generated to be on the Ghanian teams that are selected to be in the Ghanian League.

What I mean is - if yuo just add "Generic League Structure A" and then you call it the Ghanaian Premier League - the league needs team names and players with names and statistics. At best, that means finding an array of scouting for that country - which is tough when the game doesn't sell there. At worst, it means acquiring a license.

I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, or you're oversimplifying how easy it is to add leagues to the game at a proper standard.

I'd love to be able to manage in the Faroese league, but not if I had to put it together myself. Mind you, Faroese teams in FM do seem to mostly have players in them so it would be less work than some nations which hardly have any players, let alone all the clubs.

What blank DB? All the clubs and players are already in the game, don't you guys understand that people actually do research for teams other than those that are in currently playable leagues? They won't even let a league become playable if it doesnt already have a good set of data established to begin with, license or not.

Although I see your point and would feel the same if the Scottish Leagues were not playable, I think I can see the point that Matt from Sega is may be trying to point out. Having checked in-game and on the Ghana FA website it would appear that there is only 8 Ghana Club teams in FM08 but there are 16 teams in the Ghana Premier League alone. This would mean that there would need to be some work done to add in the additional 8 teams for the Premier League and possibly the players for those teams which no-one has scouted to assign attributes.

If there was a means to create the League to a be playable, it also needs to be able to create fixtures correctly, generate the awards structure, points structure, cup structure and everything else that other leagues have that may not be immediately obvious. Not being a programmer I am not sure how easy or difficult this might be, but form my view point, looks like a big job, even to program correctly to make easy for non-programmers to update.

Would you people stop with Ghana. He was only using it as an example. And yes i agree with him that it would be a nice feature for those that are unfortunate enough not to have their home country playable. What is sad are all those people who think "my country is already in the game, SI shouldnt waste time implementing features that benefit others but not me".

Would you people stop with Ghana. He was only using it as an example. And yes i agree with him that it would be a nice feature for those that are unfortunate enough not to have their home country playable. What is sad are all those people who think "my country is already in the game, SI shouldnt waste time implementing features that benefit others but not me".

My point was not directed solely at Ghana, but like the OP, using it as an example. I agree that it would be nice to have such a feature but was trying to highlight that although teams and players from other non-playable countries are in game, it would appear that not all the information, for all the teams and players from that country, is there, which might therefore make it harder to implement something that would work properly when people will input the data for the same league differently.

2 Matt - SEGA

Basque league

A-League Expansion

EPL with Rangers & Celtic

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=22347

Also: ex-USSR DB, Superleague, Latvian DB, Azeri league, Fiji Islands league -...

Community did this all without your editor, and we know how hard it is to add leagues to the game at a proper standard. First of all because of missing league rules (coded in exe), crazy "last positions bugs", crazy regens and female names bugs with edited DB.

Thank you for your hardcoding, now we must learn skill "Hacking" to create our own leagues?

What I mean is - if yuo just add "Generic League Structure A" and then you call it the Ghanaian Premier League - the league needs team names and players with names and statistics. At best, that means finding an array of scouting for that country - which is tough when the game doesn't sell there. At worst, it means acquiring a license.

I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, or you're oversimplifying how easy it is to add leagues to the game at a proper standard.

I don't necessarily think that the questioner was worried about the standards - I don't think it would bother him that he could add a league that was of totally different standard to those that Sports Interactive apply when adding a league.

Whilst I would like this feature, I have never 'campaigned' for it principally because I would want it done right, and to do that, well, I appreciate how hard it would be.

2 Matt - SEGA

Basque league

A-League Expansion

EPL with Rangers & Celtic

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=22347

Also: ex-USSR DB, Superleague, Latvian DB, Azeri league, Fiji Islands league -...

Community did this all without your editor, and we know how hard it is to add leagues to the game at a proper standard. First of all because of missing league rules (coded in exe), crazy "last positions bugs", crazy regens and female names bugs with edited DB.

Thank you for your hardcoding, now we must learn skill "Hacking" to create our own leagues?

OK - so there are people who are creating leagues - or more accurately, moving them into other leagues in the game if they want. Great. I've done that too, and enjoy it from time to time. But creating leagues is entirely different. Consider the information one needs to keep:

Rules

Dates for Starting/Finishing

Promotion/Relegation structure

Cup Competitions (inc. the top 3 for these too)

Team Names

Team Players

Player stats

Team stats

Player history

Team history....

the list goes on and on.

Now, not working for SI and not knowing their coding structure, I don't know how easy it would be to move the league rules and stuff from hard-coded to soft-coded (i.e. in an external, editable structure - like a database), but I think the point is that if you are going to create a league and you are going to do it properly there is a whole lot of research to do.

It should be noted that I'm not getting on the back of people who want this feature, just pointing out the problems.

It is worth pointing out however, that some data does exist in the database for players and teams that are not part of any league that the game runs. Granted that data is minimal but it does exist.

The problem, as Matt (SEGA) has pointed out, is one of quality - why would SEGA or SI spend money heavily researching leagues in nations where the game does not sell? And, if they were to put this feature in without it, how would it effect the remainder of the game, because I would have thought the answer to that would be heavily and in many ways.

It's worth putting some thought into, but I think that there are much more important things to add to the game than this at present.

More customisation can only ever be a good thing. However, I certainly wouldn't pay extra for it and I can also understand it from SI and Segas point of view. It would require a lot of extra cost, research and development for very little extra return.

I'm not saying that I'm not bothered because my countries already included but I do understand that SI and Sega are a businesses and they want to make money. Spending extra time researching and implementing leagues may impact on the more major leagues that are already in the game. For the return SI would get from including the leagues that aren't in already it's not really worth the risk for them.

It seems to me like the best option is to include it in the editor to allow you to spend the time doing it yourself. Or, you can pay me the extra money you'd be willing to pay SI and I'll do it for you :cool:

The problem, as Matt (SEGA) has pointed out, is one of quality - why would SEGA or SI spend money heavily researching leagues in nations where the game does not sell?

Bad point.

Games didn't sold in Russia till next year. Now, let's imagine, that there was not research in Russia in 2001-2006 years. How deep and full will be russian part of DB?

Also, i don't remember, are the game selling in Germany?

Spending extra time researching and implementing leagues may impact on the more major leagues that are already in the game. For the return SI would get from including the leagues that aren't in already it's not really worth the risk for them.

We don't ask about additional research - we ask about ability to add my own playable league in game.

I don't know if it was sold in Germany or Russia (although I do remember seeing both 07 and 08 available in Berlin), but it was available online so maybe the quantity purchased from those nations was of a substantial amount, despite not being available on the shelves.

I don't know if it was sold in Germany or Russia (although I do remember seeing both 07 and 08 available in Berlin), but it was available online so maybe the quantity purchased from those nations was of a substantial amount, despite not being available on the shelves.

So, now we can say that the game is selling all over the world and we need research all leagues)))

The point is to have a feature that lets you create leagues or cups. It's not about including Ghana or anyone else in the game as researched by SI.

As highlighted above people have done league swaps for years now and more so some people have edited the exe so that the rules, number of teams, league start dates, etc have been correct for years as well.

If you check the downloads for leagues like Egypt, Bosnia, Cyprus, etc, you'll see they get tens of thousands of downloads. No one's saying that this would equal sales, but it must highlight that people enjoy doing this.

It doesn't even have to be OTT with features, you just select 'new league', choose the nation, the number of teams, if it's a Summer or Winter league, the league rules (from those all ready available in the game, ie Serie A, Scotish Premier, etc), set prize and tv money, then boom: There you are.

As far as team, player or league history goes, if you want to put it in, then go for it. I've downloaded some leagues which have included this in full and some which have been blank. If you want to use teams and players in the DB or one's you've created, feel free.

It's not asking SI for additional research or what have you, it's just a league creating feature.

Heck, if people wanted to, they could just throw pre-existing teams in and create a Euro super league. Or have loads of teams from Oceania playing in a ten team fantasy league. What does it matter? The editor lets you edit leagues into whatever you want all ready, people are just asking for a tool to do so more easily. There's nothing as painfull as spending hours setting up a league, to watch it fail to load.

SI will never implement this because being owned by SEGA now marketing comes before everything else.

This is clearly seen in Matt's replies.

So bottom lines is if FM doesn't sell in a particular country that you can forget about this country.

The funny thing is that a country like mine (Malta) is now also part of the European Union but that doesn't seem to matter for SEGA even though the game is the most popular here in Malta.

Archived