[FM08] - New positions error?

I regularly train my players into positions that I feel more suitable for them. Who doesn't, but something I noticed in my current save is the fact that, they obviously lose the position if they don't play in it, and don't train for it any longer. However, when getting the now weekly news item of [Player X is to return to his old club, how do you feel] - I looked at the player, (who I know I signed as an out and out ST) - and he has remained an AMC/F - which is what I trained him to. Perhaps this was the exception, rather than the rule? But no, I went back over all the players I'd sold over the last few seasons, and every one of them has retained their position that I trained them into when moving clubs. So why can't they retain this position at the same club and allow us to train them into another position?

I always found in FM07 that a player would learn a position I set him to even if I sold him before he gained the 2nd position. My assumption was that for whatever reason the AI manager at his new club carries on training him in that new position because it happened to numerous players.

It makes sense though that if a player learns an un-natural position, but then never plays there and starts training a different position that he will start to lose his ability in that first unnaturla position.

Ched, I can assure you thats not the case, for 2 reasons. Firstly, they surely wouldn't do that for nearly 40 players? Secondly, I resigned 4 of my old timers to put them on the staff books, and they had kept their "New" positions, and I was able to train them inot another without them losing the first one I trained them into in the first place.

Ched, I can assure you thats not the case, for 2 reasons. Firstly, they surely wouldn't do that for nearly 40 players? Secondly, I resigned 4 of my old timers to put them on the staff books, and they had kept their "New" positions, and I was able to train them inot another without them losing the first one I trained them into in the first place.

Hadn't realised it had happened to that many players. Personally i only retrain a handful of players hence why i thought it might have been the AI carrying on, clearly for it to happen to that many players it isn't the case.

As to your old players, that seems especially odd. An SI reply would be interesting.

It sounds that the game doesn't allow the AI to retrain players.

As a result, (I am giessing), player positions at AI managed clubs are fixed and cannot change.

They were well trained in these positions when they signed so i am guessing they will stay like that for as long as they are managed by the AI.

When you re-sign them the position change feature becomes unlocked and we are all systems go again.

It's not ideal but it sounds reasonable.

I position trained a player and then sent him out on loan a little while later, perhaps a month at most and when he came back his rating for the new position had leapt up to something like Competent.

So I guess that Jimbo's right, positional training is unlocked whilst you own a player and even if he's out on loan the training continues.

Reminds me of an old game of mine, back when Sol was a Gooner...

He got the hump with me over something and demanded a transfer. So, I sold him on and trained him in goal for the duration of the season.

Imagine my shock 2 seasons later to find out that despite being a terrible keeper, that's where he now plays... And because of his reputation, he's still picked! :')

Retraining seems to be permanently embedded - I took a winger on trial for 4 weeks, and retrained him as an AM C - I retook him on trial later and he was still "training" the AM C position.

Of course, this does lead to some mean possibilities, such as taking a promising player from your rival or hated team on loan and retraining him in a totally outlandish position (natural D L, accomplished AM R, anyone?) which ruins him...

Archived