Is this PC spec good enough?

Hi all.

I am getting a new PC and want to know if it's good enough to run fm07 or fm08.

It is...

Intel Pentium Dual Core E2200 processor (2.0Ghz).

2Gb DDR2 RAM.

320Gb hard drive.

19in TFT LCD monitor with 8ms response rate.

DVD/RW. On-board graphics.

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic.

Thankyou

It'll run fine, might be worth getting an extra 2gb of RAM though to really boost performance.

The only problem with having 4GB ram is the version of windows that you have. If its the 32bit version then you won't have access to the full 4GB. I didn't realise this when I upgraded my ram a while ago. I thought there was a problem when it said I only have 3.3GB until I read some of the post on this forum from the more technically minded. If you want the full 4GB you'll have to get the 64bit version of windows.

I would also consider getting a dedicated graphics card with at least 128mb ram. Although on-board graphics are ok for things like FM they really won't do for more graphically intense games.

It'll run fine, might be worth getting an extra 2gb of RAM though to really boost performance.

Erm.. overkill? If it weren't for Vista we still would have nothing to occupy 2GB of RAM. In fact, that might be my top performance tip - stick XP on that new machine and avoid the plague.

Btw, there was little need to list the monitor spec, it's not like you're gonna get ghosting on FM's transitions from the squad to the tactics screen. Onboard graphics, however, may prove deficient in handling the new 3D match engine, we don't know the minimum spec yet. I'd advise some budget GPU purchase.

Hi all.

I am getting a new PC and want to know if it's good enough to run fm07 or fm08.

It is...

Intel Pentium Dual Core E2200 processor (2.0Ghz).

2Gb DDR2 RAM.

320Gb hard drive.

19in TFT LCD monitor with 8ms response rate.

DVD/RW. On-board graphics.

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic.

Thankyou

It seems that Vista Home Basic has been a common source for PCs with problems running certain games including Football Manager.

I would strongly recommend that you go for Vista Home Premium.

ok so my laptop is a few years old now, probably closer to five years. at the time it was a lot of money but now it's probably rubbish... i have 512mb of RAM, 1.70 ghz and 209mhz. I have no idea what the last two numbers are but i assume 512mb isn't that much? how much would you recommend and how do i get more (where do i buy it from?)

cheers guys i'm not very technically minded

ok so my laptop is a few years old now, probably closer to five years. at the time it was a lot of money but now it's probably rubbish... i have 512mb of RAM, 1.70 ghz and 209mhz. I have no idea what the last two numbers are but i assume 512mb isn't that much? how much would you recommend and how do i get more (where do i buy it from?)

cheers guys i'm not very technically minded

My PC has 512mb of RAM and will probably struggle to play FM09. I'm going to get a laptop instead but if I was you, I'd get 2GB of RAM if you're running XP and 4GB of RAM if you're planning on running Vista.

2gb is enough to run any os nevermind 4gb thats loads,yeah nice to have but not nessercery,my mate as a laptop with vista home and it runs smooth as anything and also runs fm08 well with a few leagues running and hes only got 2gb ram

i dont no were al the panic is coming from about peoples specs,yes the game will run better the more ram and that you have but your not guna need a super computer to run it,its only a fotie simulation,not some virtual reality super game

• 3 weeks later...
i looked on pc world for ddr2 but they have a sub section for 'laptop components'... does this mean ordinary RAM won't fit in my laptop???

Laptop memory is a little different to PC memory.

It's a little more expensive too (not vastly)

open the slot under your machine 1st to see how many slots you have before you decide to upgrade. Normally you'd find 2 x slots. In this case then opt for two sticks of the same size. 2 x 1mb would be fine. should be able to get 2 x 1mb sticks for £15 each no problem. Ebuyer is pretty decent

I was in the same boat. If you want RAM but not sure what is compatible then go to one of these 2 sites and fill in your laptop details like I did. All you need manufacturer, series and model and it tells you the memory you can have and how many slots your laptop has. They also both sell it as well which is always helpful! It is brilliant for the novice and also installation is really easy so don't worry about that either.

http://www.orcalogic.co.uk/asp/default.asp

http://www.memoryc.com/configurator.html

Archived