Which trophy is your main priority?

What competition do you give main priority?  

227 members have voted

1. 1. What competition do you give main priority?

• Continental Cup Competition
    • Domestic League
    • Domestic Cup Competition

A lot has been made in recent years about certain managers who have one trophy that they will go all out to win, almost ignoring other competitions. Benitez and the CL, O'Neill and the league cup this season etc etc.

Just wondering what trophies each of you have as main priority each season, it doesn't have to be something you are trying to win as i'm sure plenty of relegation candidates put the league before the cup.

Mine is probably whatever continental competition I am competing in with FC Bayern.

All of them really! I like to have a nice full trophy cabinet.

Truthfully, it all depends on which team I'm playing with and what sort of progress we've made. I do try to prioritise the league due to Continental qualification.

Although in my current game the priority is continental competitions as it's the only thing that I haven't won.

most of the time i choose my nation's premier league when i start and for that reason keeping my job depends upon domestic championship. of course i chase continentals too but not at first glance...

domestic cup? i can live without that, but board wants it too all the time, so i try to please them with that too. it doesn't stop me from using my second squad in some domestic cup games, nevertheless...

For me it's always the league. As I usually play in England I try to win at least 1 EPL title per FM (usually with Nottingham Forest). I like to challenge for the Champions League but it takes about 3-5 years to build a squad worthy of winning it so I'm usually knocked out in the early knockout rounds. For the traditional sense I like to win the FA Cup as well with minor emphasis on the League Cup, which I tend to use to give fringe players a run out.

My other most wanted trophy is the World Cup but because I rarely get offered an international job and until 08 I didn't like the international management features in FM, I've only won that once.

I'm currently playing in Norway and the Norwegian Cup is the one I want most. That's mainly down to the fact that every other competition is currently out of our reach and will be for the foreseeable future judging by the way we are playing!

Normally not getting relagated is my aim. Therefore I always play a second or third string in the cups. I just won the league with Reading despite only hoping for seventeenth, and next season my youth team will play the big boys of Europe. Seeing as my co-effiecent is so low, they'll probably play 4 games against big teams.

Playing as Montrose in Scottish Div 3, so my only chance is the league.

Although I just got a by into the second round of the Challenge Cup, so I might have a small chance there.

Even if I'm a big club I still concentrate on the league. Cups are nice, but the league is the best.

For some reason the Carling Cup is the trophy I always aim to win when playing as a premiership side.

I think its the most prestigious, and arguably the most difficult to obtain. I won it twice in eight years in my Chelsea game. My most succesful spell as a manager. I play my second string team in the premiership, fa cup and champions league just so my first XI are fresh for the league cup.

For some reason the Carling Cup is the trophy I always aim to win when playing as a premiership side.

I think its the most prestigious, and arguably the most difficult to obtain. I won it twice in eight years in my Chelsea game. My most succesful spell as a manager. I play my second string team in the premiership, fa cup and champions league just so my first XI are fresh for the league cup.

Are you serious? :eek:

Or joking as I suspect you are?

Depends where I am with my team. If I can't possibly push for the league because my team aren't quite up to it then I might try and make a run for the cup(s). But even then it's extremely important not to sacrifice the league too much because as has been said above it could cost you your job in FM.

My recent season illustrates that point quite well as a matter of fact. I overachieved, finished 4th in the league, but most importantly went trough Intertoto to win the Uefa Cup. The end of season confidence report stated that the board are 'pleased' because we're doing quite well according to their 2 year plan, however they're really upset by the 0-4 league defeat to West Ham. Right, but what about the cup win that's most likely the first real silverware for the club in like 100 years :rolleyes:

Just started a game with Aberdeen, my main priority for this season will to be to finish in a decent league position and pick up at least 1 of the 2 domestic trophies.

Once I've built up a decent enough team I'll go all out to try and win the league even if that means resting the big players for the domestic cup games/european games

Archived